Anyone going to order a NEW Slingerland kit?

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I am thinking of getting another new kit. I love vintage drums but also like to have some newer stuff as well. My last new kit was a 2012 Ludwig Classic Maple kit in Natural. That kit was 12, 13, 16 with a 14 x 22 bass drum. I also have a nice DW kit with a boatload of their hardware.

When DW gets rolling with new Slingerland Drums I am thinking of ordering a kit in WMP. Since this might be the last NEW kit I ever have made I plan on getting it all with one order. 9 x 13, 16 x 16, 16 x 18 with a 15" x 24" bass drum. DW has made 15" deep and 17" deep bass drums in the past. I would also be interested in having a set of 10" / 12" matching concert toms.

I don't know when they will be offering kits but I do hope they do well with the brand.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"Anyone going to order a NEW Slingerland kit?"

1594882931219.png

ME!

I'm definitely going to order a Radio King snare drum the moment that they are available. I own several Slingerland Radio Kings of various vintages, and currently six different solid maple shelled drums from DW. I'm the target audience.

As far as a kit goes, I can't imagine DW won't get this right. Unless they came out with something totally ridiculous, I have to at least try one.

When it comes to what configuration, well, I hadn't given that a lot of consideration until you brought this up. Part of me leans toward a 10", 12", 14", 16" 22" setup. That's the configuration that both my 2008 DW Collector's Series kit and 2019 Gretsch USA Custom kits originally were. In both cases I ended up adding on additional pieces.

On the other hand starting out with something traditional would be sort of cool, like a set in Gene Krupa model 1-N sizes. (13", 16", 20")

Or I could just go with a 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 22" kit this time, as the first drum that I added to my two previous kits was a 13".

Honestly, the only thing that could ruin this is that if I never get to go back to work at my part time job that I use to fund such indulgences. Admittedly, that is a possibility.

DW usually is rather generous with finish options. My DWs are Broken Glass. My Gretsch kit is Silver Glass, which is their version of Broken Glass. I'm predictable if nothing else, I want to order my Slingerlands in Silver Glass.

So, the short answer is yes, at least one person absolutely intends on ordering a new set of Slingerlands when they are available, me.

Mayan

Reaction score
Have they made any further announcements? I saw the article about starting with Radio Kings, another saying that quality was the focus. Have they said anything else or updated a timeline?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm expecting DW Collector's Series and Gretsch USA Custom pricing, which if they do it right, will seem fair. (At least to me.)

Of course this is dependent on them building something that I like, and I have faith that they will. If the 1958 Slingerland kit that was given to Don is an indication of their target, they are on the same page as me.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have they made any further announcements? I saw the article about starting with Radio Kings, another saying that quality was the focus. Have they said anything else or updated a timeline?
I'm guessing that Covida-19 could have pushed their plans back a bit, which is understandable. Originally I was expecting an announcement before Christmas, and a full roll-out at NAMM in January. Currently the January NAMM show looks unlikely to even happen in my opinion. So, who knows?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nope , no interest for me . I had my Slingerland kick at the can with a Niles Slingerland kit . The last Slingerland that excited me were the Nashville made Slingerland kits mainly because of who were responsible for the build ( Pat Foley and Sam Bacco). I wish them all the best in trying to resurrect the Slingerland brand . I just won’t be helping finance it .

I assume they will try and get some of the current DW Endorsers that we’re Slingerland Endorsers in the past to promote the brand (Danny Seraphine , Nigel Olson, John JR Robinson etc) .

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
They certainly do know how to do Slingerland. I have one of their circa 2004 Buddy Rich tribute kits in 24/13/16 with a 5.5 snare drum (the snare is using a Cravioto shell.) The bearing edges, stick choppers, antiqued WMP and lugs all scream Radio King. I am toying with selling that kit by the way, but that is for another time and forum.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently spoke with someone who is well-versed with this whole Slingerland issue. Sorry, but I can't name names! When I brought up this subject, he just laughed and basically said that there is no financial gain for DW to spend so much R&D time and energy to promote another high-end drum line. What would be the point? While he commends DW for purchasing the Slingerland name to keep it from being trashed by Asian companies to turn out cheaply-built drums carrying the Slingerland name, he feels it remains to be seen when, and if, DW will make this a reality. At the end of our conversation, he likened this to when Slingerland acquired Leedy. While Slingerland offered Leedy drums for a few years, they were nothing more than Slingerland shells with Leedy-designed lugs. All other hardware was Slingerland, although footboards were designed with the "Leedy" logo. Slingerland's biggest contribution to Leedy was to design a proper snare drum lug, since Leedy had always used separate tom lugs for all their snare drums. It was mentioned that DW would probably come up with a specific ply layup for their Slingerland drums, just as Nashville had. Finally, in the end, the demand for a "new" Slingerland just isn't there and that they may not be around 5 years from now.

Please don't shoot me...I'm just the messenger!!

-Mark

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Idrum4fun is correct that their is no financial gain for DW with Slingerland. Lots of companies buy old names for certain rights and end up doing nothing with them. While we would all love a new Slingerland, it's more because of nostalgia. But the reality is that the "new & future drummers" have no clue what Slingerland even is (I'll throw Rogers in that group as well) And those new drummers are the ones that will buy and drive the market. For companies it's all about making money! Catering to nostalgia doesn't pay the bills unless you can capture every demographic (case in point: Dodge Challenger, Chevy Camaro etc..)
How many people went out and bought new Slingerland's when Gibson had them a few years back?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait, so DW bought the Slingerland name, and will not make drums, thus leaving the name still inactive, just owned by a different company? Why the hell would they have bothered then? Preserve the name? Doesn't make sense to me.

Dan

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait, so DW bought the Slingerland name, and will not make drums, thus leaving the name still inactive, just owned by a different company? Why the hell would they have bothered then? Preserve the name? Doesn't make sense to me.

Dan
That is just someones opinion ...

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ibelieve Gibson was quite successful with Slingerlands ..
I never heard of anyone that bought one back then and they were out of the market as fast as they came in from what I recall. I can be totally wrong though!
I wonder though if they were successful, why didn't they keep making and selling them?

Latest posts