Anyone got/getting to gigs with a truck?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I drive a 6 seater Toyota diesel that has ample space in the back (boot) for my full kit when the rarely used back 2 seats are folded up to the sides....still seats 4 when loaded.
fortunermodelimage.jpg

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It appears that SUV is a better choice overall if I want to leave my set in the vehicle overnight and if I need room for people. If I don’t have to get a pickup truck, I will just go with a SUV. Pickup trucks are more prone to robberies, they think you got some tools in there or something.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can actually buy these and drive them around!??? Lol
Yeah. I saw the ad for the auction in the newspaper, went down to the postal yard (downtown Milwaukee) and they had some of the nicer ones set for auction, and some of the “not so nice” ones with prices set. All re-painted white with no logos. As a poor college kid, I opted for “not so nice”.

Right-hand drive, 55-mph top speed (they were designed to go from mailbox to mailbox, not across town, let alone tooling around the Midwest). Basically a sheet metal box with wheels. I loved it, and would highly recommend one for a young band looking for a gear hauler.

Last edited:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Yukon with backline kit for a festival. Three sets of hardware, 6 pc kit, 4 snares...

View attachment 480934
Another Yukon user here since 1999 w/ various other years. Now a 2019. 3rd row seating permanently down. Super comfortable is the reason I’ve always had one, and a plus hauling gear. 4 wheel drive as well as for the snowy climate.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, if for no other reason than just to drive, I'd rather drive a truck. I grew up in the days when the cars were big and really don't like the cars of today. The cars of today are more prone to roll overs. If a big car rolled over it made the news, now it's expected. Trucks just have more metal for protection and you can see better all around when driving and you can pull a trailer when needed with out worrying about running the transmission. But that's a personal feeling.

When you decide to buy a Car, Van or SUV take all your gear with you and make sure it fits before you buy.

sherm

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the first time I saw a pickup truck was when I went to Basic Training, 1979, in Texas. Everyone had them there. Even the girls!

They didn’t exist in NYC back then, unless it was a work truck and they were never parked in the street. Now, that’s all you see here! They have become the bane of my existence. As a car driver, they are one big pain the rear end, because you can’t see around them, over them or through them on tight corners and all I see when I look in my rear view mirror is grill and halogens bearing down on me! Forget about parking, they take up 3 precious spots and honestly they just seem a little ridiculous here. I shouldn’t talk, my son-in-law has one. It doesn’t fit in my driveway.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I’m getting old, I realize that was quite the curmudgeonly rant... :sad10:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
2019 Chevy Silverado crew cab with a hard cover (blue of course) I like being able to toss my cases in the back without tearing up anything. Had a Suburban for years and it had some wear and tear from loading and unloading, of course that was with 350,000 miles and 14 years of gigging. What I like about the truck with cover is no one knows if there's anything inside or not, in an SUV your gear is in plain site, just a broken window away from theft. I don't leave anything that is special to me in the truck though. I have a beater kit that I can leave in there if need be and always take cymbal bag and snare inside.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I drive a 4th gen Toyota 4Runner. It has tons of space and comfort. I could have gone with a Tacoma (which is basically the same thing with a pickup bed), but wanted interior climate controlled space.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I drive a 6 seater Toyota diesel that has ample space in the back (boot) for my full kit when the rarely used back 2 seats are folded up to the sides....still seats 4 when loaded. View attachment 480932
Is that a "closed" version of the Hilux?

Unfortunately, Toyota doesn`t offer a 4x4 between the silly RAV4 and the overpriced Landcruiser in Germany anymore.

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
I use my F150 to haul my gear. It's got the 4 full-size doors so it makes unloading/loading pretty easy. The back seats fold up creating a lot of flat storage space. I fit pretty much everything I use in the backseat area. Every time I play there is a chance of rain, plus I feel weird having my kit (even though in cases) in an open air truck bed, so I've kept them in the back seat area when traveling back and forth. Having them in the truck bed would nice though from time to time. Maybe the weather will be better next time I play...

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used my Toyota Corolla ...I only have a 4 piece 22/13/16 with hardware so it handles the job. Used it 4-5 times in 2020 with no issues.

Dtucci

Reaction score
I have a Lincoln Navigator and love it for hauling my kit and PA gear. Full limo tint on the rear windows for additional privacy/security. Plenty of room for gear.