Anyone has experience with Drummer’s World in NYC?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience with Drummer’s World NYC. Have you played their drums? The nesting ones maybe?

3E4D0568-2B69-4C53-B6E7-3369D92855A9.jpeg

Last edited:

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to go to the store quite a bit when it was open, great place to hang, it was not unusual to run into a few recognizable drummers in there.
They always had a set of these and the non-nestng bop kits set up, sad to say I never played, or heard one.
That shop catered to working drummers, and they always had high quality stuff (lots of Pete Englehart gear which was cool ) so it would be my guess that they paid attention to the details on these.

I did find a video of Rick Dior playing a set.

Wolfman

Reaction score
That shop was the greatest! Barry (the owner) is a wonderful guy. I've known him since I was in high school (I'm 46 now). I bought one of the first nesting sets they ever made and they are very nice drums. For the last few years, I've had the drums on loan to a piano player friend for his studio. I still play them sometimes when he and I do gigs together and they're always fun to play. I think Rick Dior's video showcases them well.

I've hardly ever used a floor tom in over ten years and I often don't use toms at all (Jake Hanna influence!), so the nesting feature ended up not really mattering to me, but it's a great idea. I also have a rare set of Slingerland nesting drums from around 1980 (as far as I know, they only made a few sets), but the Drummers World set is much lighter.

Man, I really miss Drummers World!

Last edited:

tischrealdrum

Reaction score
Great store and drums! I bought an 18/14/10 nesting kit from them in 2007 when I moved to Rochester and really dug it. I added a 12" tom and kept it through grad school before selling it because I found a used set of Maple Customs. The drums sound great and it was nice to have the smaller storage footprint. I had them done in black glass glitter (I think).

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great store and drums! I bought an 18/14/10 nesting kit from them in 2007 when I moved to Rochester and really dug it. I added a 12" tom and kept it through grad school before selling it because I found a used set of Maple Customs. The drums sound great and it was nice to have the smaller storage footprint. I had them done in black glass glitter (I think).
Thanks for your input. How do those latches and the edges of the bass drum (mating part) hold up from use over time? Do you think a nesting kit is inferior to regular set of drums in terms of reliability? How are the drums kept safe while moving inside of each other when traveling, do they just get dinged up?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That shop was the greatest! Barry (the owner) is a wonderful guy. I've known him since I was in high school (I'm 46 now). I bought one of the first nesting sets they ever made and they are very nice drums. For the last few years, I've had the drums on loan to a piano player friend for his studio. I still play them sometimes when he and I do gigs together and they're always fun to play. I think Rick Dior's video showcases them well.

I've hardly ever used a floor tom in over ten years and I often don't use toms at all (Jake Hanna influence!), so the nesting feature ended up not really mattering to me, but it's a great idea. I also have a rare set of Slingerland nesting drums from around 1980 (as far as I know, they only made a few sets), but the Drummer's World set is much lighter.

Man, I really miss Drummer's World!
I am really digging a 20/15/12 Drummer’s World nesting kit that can cover many grounds and is portable (all 3 pieces in one bag). The price though puts it into a range of used Gretsch Brooklyns, Classic Maples and many other, so it’s a hard decision, and a used set of 20/15/12 is hard to come by, usually people get the 18/14/10 configuration as a nesting kit.

Wolfman

Reaction score
I packed both my nesting kits (the Slingerland and the Drummers World sets) with foam to keep the drums from moving around. The drums do end up getting a little dinged and scratched inside over time, but nothing that affects their playability and the latches have held up fine. I haven't used either set in a long time, but I did gig heavily with both at one time, particularly the Slingerland set and the latches on that kit aren't as nice as the ones on the Drummers World set. The Slingerland set has metal around the edges where the two halves of the drum meet, which protects the edge but also caused the bass drum to rattle like crazy, so I had to put tape over the metal. My Drummers World set was 18/14/10, the Slingerland is 20/16/13. I got the Drummer's World set in the smaller sizes since I already had the Slingerlands.

Jake Hanna's main set for years was a Slingerland set that he had converted to a nesting kit and his was a 12x20 bass drum, 11x15 floor tom and an 8x12 small tom. That was a great set!

Last edited:

tradrad

Pro
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. How do those latches and the edges of the bass drum (mating part) hold up from use over time? Do you think a nesting kit is inferior to regular set of drums in terms of reliability? How are the drums kept safe while moving inside of each other when traveling, do they just get dinged up?

first and foremost, barry is/was/will always be a guy i cherish in terms of fairness and knowledge...a beautiful cat who really cares about his customers and drummers in general. i've gotten TONS of stuff from him...both at the store and online...and never had an inkling of an issue. i briefly played a set of his nesting drums and loved them (they belonged to a friend)...great sounding maple drums. i ended up with a set from another builder who used plastic/metal latching clasps that seemed less 'industrial'...they held up really well but i eventually sold them when i moved out of NYC.
in terms of wear and tear on the drums...i had a 16/10/13 with an 8" side snare in champagne sparkle wrap...i just wrapped the 8/10 in towels and put some foam around the 13. they looked as pristine as the day i got them right up until the day i shipped them off!
i will admit i'm a bit ocd about that stuff, but even guys i know that throw their stuff around seemed to have their nesting kits survive just fine. they are puuuurfect for city gig hauling!

tischrealdrum

Reaction score

The latches were super secure and solid. I never noticed any play in the kick and floor halves when they were together. Snug fit but extremely well designed. The drums came with some small foam chunks that worked very well to keep the drums from rubbing against each other. I also stuck the 10 and 14 in old t-shirts to add a cloth buffer.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think the portability and the quality of the drums is worth considering a 20/15/12 over a regular drum set in that price range? ($1800)
I have heard even the 18/14/10 is pretty heavy when nested and the assembly and disassembly is pretty time consuming.

Wolfman

Reaction score
How are you mainly getting to gigs and transporting your drums?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How are you mainly getting to gigs and transporting your drums?
Gigs are not frequent actually. I drive with my own car and I don’t walk down a lot of stairs to get to my car. I don’t really really need a nesting kit but I love the idea of it, I always envy musicians who just bring a case with them (guitar, sax, etc.), play, and pack it up and go, so easy! I wish to get somewhat close to that with having 2 bags for drums instead of 4 (nested kit+snare) but then we have the hardware case and cymbals.

Wolfman

Reaction score
I've found that there are positives and negatives with nesting sets. But you can definitely cut down on the number of cases and possibly load in/out trips!

If you're not playing a lot, they also take up less room to store.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're not playing a lot, they also take up less room to store.
Yep, another good reason.

Another thing to remember is that they don’t need to be nested if you don’t want to but if you do, you have that option. You may just need some extra bags.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drummer’s World still exists, just online :)
Yeah, I get the email newsletters from Barry & Co, but I didn't know you could still order the nesting kits (I guess I thought it was just a "marketplace" kind of store) ... Glad to hear that you still can.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Look at this one. I would love a 20/15/12 in a glitter wrap.