Anyone has experience with Drummer’s World in NYC?

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The issue with small custom drums is the resale value. I had a hard time selling my modern drum shop bop kit (not nesting) and unsurprisingly a guy from NY ended up buying it, for the asking price.
If I buy a 20/15/12 nesting kit brand new it’d cost me $2k, resale would be $1k if I ever decide to sell. If I keep the drums for a long time and one day decide to sell, well not a lot of people would even know about drummer’s world, only the ones who have been to the store or seen kits at NY clubs would know about it. Whoever I said I have a modern drum shop kit they said “huh?, what’s that?”, so hard to even get $1k for it, especially when kits like the catalina can be had for $500. I guess the best thing is not to think about resale at all and just enjoy it, or find a used one and buy at $1k.

I know they are not the same at all, but comparing this to the vintage drums market, a 20/16/12 Rogers kit in the same price ballpark would be much more desirable in future. Maybe a brand new nesting kit only makes sense if there is a real need.

thoughts?

Last edited:

Wolfman

Reaction score
The issue with small custom drums is the resale value. I had a hard time selling my modern drum shop bop kit (not nesting) and unsurprisingly a guy from NY ended up buying it, for the asking price.
If I buy a 20/15/12 nesting kit brand new it’d cost me $2k, resale would be $1k if I ever decide to sell. If I keep the drums for a long time and one day decide to sell, well not a lot of people would even know about drummer’s world, only the ones who have been to the store or seen kits at NY clubs would know about it. Whoever I said I have a modern drum shop kit they said “huh?, what’s that?”, so hard to even get $1k for it, especially when kits like the catalina can be had for $500. I guess the best thing is not to think about resale at all and just enjoy it, or find a used one and buy at $1k.

I know they are not the same at all, but comparing this to the vintage drums market, a 20/16/12 Rogers kit in the same price ballpark would be much more desirable in future. Maybe a brand new nesting kit only makes sense if there is a real need.

thoughts?

Maybe get that used one that Steve Maxwell has (although they're smaller sizes) or go with a vintage set? Might not be worth it to get a nesting kit unless you think you're going to get a lot out of that feature. But I would say get what's going to make you happy!

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

thoughts?
Well if I were buying something like a nesting kit,then functionality is 100% the concern, not so much resale value.
It is more of a finite market than say a DW set... and you notice how most of your replies were from NYC drummers...even so that is a decent sized market.
From the replies here, and some videos I've seen, these are great drum sets, nesting or not.
I may draw the ire of some here, but those sound a lot better than some of those Hip Gigs sets (& similar) that I've heard and played.

I lived in LA for 5 years (in the 90s) and played all around town, (luckily had a reliable car) no backline in those days but most of the places in Santa Monica and the Valley had parking lots, making them easy to load into... Even the venues on the strip and elsewhere in Hollywood were a quick load in. I had a standard 5 piece set and I never remember it being a huge a problem. (No doubt things have changed though)

After that I lived in and played in NYC (all sorts of stuff from small group Jazz, Big Band, Latin and straight ahead Rock) for about 18 years and was lucky enough to use backline sets about 85% of the time. IF I had pulled the trigger on one of those nesting kits ( or a MD Shop set)-because they are cool, I would probably have thrown those in the cab before the gig.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yea it probably only makes sense to buy a nesting kit if there is real need for it. I mean I am sure it’d be useful to have a nesting kit with reduced foot print but they are not cheap.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm only sorry that more and younger players will not be able to have the magical experience of taking a trip to 48th street NYC to explore all the shops that used to be there, including Drummer's World.

Maxwell and a few others have taken up the mantle, and it's great to have them...but they're spread out, and that strong sense of place for musicians that coalesced in that area for so many years is no more.

Drummer's World always had a couple of nesting kits set up on the floor. They struck me as sounding like really nice modern maple kits. Very lively and open. It was tough to judge on character, though, because the floor was also usually occupied by any number of amazing vintage kits...Gretsch, Camco, Sonor bop kits, etc. Not to mention the cymbal room, filled with old Ks, vintage As and Paiste...

And that was just one store in that area. Musician heaven. Quite a place. :happy3: