Anyone have experiences mixing early eras of Rogers?

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Tower kit in 12/14/20 (1965), and I found an Eagle Badge 15x12, not a converted snare. Would this sound too different from my kit? B/B lugs would be tensioned only a little, so no fear there.

lcondo123

Reaction score
The drum is going to act differently because it's a completely different shell with different bearing edges. Eagle badge drums have Jasper made shells, 3-ply maple-poplar-maple, with super thick rounded over bearing edges. The rest of your kit has Keller made shells and, being from 1965, most likely 5 plies maple-birch-maple-birch-maple with thinner, shaper 45 degree edges.

I've had (and have) both eras of drums and both sound and play incredibly well, but they are different animals. Your 15x12 tenor drum should fit in perfectly well as a floor tom with the rest of your set, as I'm assuming you'd keep it tuned lower anyways. The only situation in which the drums wouldn't sonically match is if you have two of the same drums (like dual 12x8's) with one shell Jasper and one Keller. Other than that, you should have no problems fitting it in!

As for tuning, people think these are a little more fragile than they are in truth. I just explained in a different post that I've toured, gigged, and recorded with a B&B kit set with uncracked lugs and have never had problems with the lugs. Just don't crank it and don't bash it. Other than that, your drum will play just as well as any other.

Nice find!