header.nohb.html

Anyone heard young Elé Howell?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wondering if any SF Bay Area drummers have seen this 17-year old phenom? He is the son of veteran sax player Richard Howell; I saw him last night sitting in for a couple of tunes with Babatunde Lea's group in Healdsburg (Sonoma County). This is the second time I've seen this kid ....... he only gets better! Amazing chops and speed, great driving groove, infectious happy attitude on the stand.

Here's a link to a YouTube vid of Howell's group Sudden Changes featuring Elé :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_XTqyuCJxGI

I think he was all of 16 at this time ...........

Mike (old fart trying to be inspired, not discouraged ......! )

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Nice to hear a young kid who chose the jazz route. I hope he can make some money!

When Tony Williams was his age, there was still a good market for jazz. Nowadays, not so much.....

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish you guys could have heard Elé play the other night ....... one year has made a difference, a big one. His soloing is inventive and appropriate, the groove was uncompromising. One could hear the maturity that one more year has brought.

When I hear someone this young play that well, I wonder whether the person will be able to maintain that level of concentration into their "adulthood". There are certainly a lot of distractions, and playing jazz is not one of the career paths reccommended by the "make a million before age 30" crowd. But talking to Elé, and having heard his dad play for quite awhile, I have high hopes for this young monster!

Mike

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bellbrass said:
I hear a lot of Elvin in him. He is really good, and he can swing.
Yeah, loads of Elvin. Very cool. Helps that the piano player quotes Tyner directly more than once in his solo.

What a fun performance. I'm eager to hear more from this dude.

Edit: Lots of Tony/DeJohnette in those snare flams too. He even kind of moves his body like DeJohnette in some of those breaks.