Anyone here buy that 20" old K that Steve Maxwell just had up on Reverb?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
never saw it till now. those old stamp type III reach back in time to the beginning of blue note records and stick it right in your face. Wow. extreme today.

Reactions: egw

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I could have heard it without the rivets. I have a hard time telling what a cymbal sounds like on a video or recording when it has rivets installed. The shimmering of the rivets mostly obscures all the main cymbal tones.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you how it sounds with or without
You have to have owned. Type I II III and IV are the old stamps. Tha shapes are about the same.
I took a 16" Type IV out of the sellers box as it arrived- and from the side my very first thought I mumbled out loud to myself was- "it doesn't have a bell"-
That 's how shallow the cups (of the four old stamps) can get. Like the one in the auction. I have an 18 I have a 14. IV and III.
Same builds.
AS Steve said that lather that day was having some type of fun. Maybe hallucination from heat exhaustion. that day
I II II IV are similar shape build some exception lathing. one oddity with IV. extremely stiff they are weight being same as a II. Can't figure that one out.
Hartrick called IV "last of the old stamps"

Lemme tell ya there on Old K Istanbul Facebook group there's a fella thinking of selling a 22" type IV old K that just out of the blue came to him He's in California from Ohio. It's the Closest I've heard in a long time to williams four and more cymbal when played fast. Here:

He seems a upright nice fella too.
2856 old -well I'd say cymbal is 1959 year not so old as to sound funny in some contemporary settings- 2856 old stamp grams
Scroll down to Andy Fraga

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
give my your full ride cymbal history @hardbat and I'll throw the I Ching and see what I can see of your next future cymbal selection direction ..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
God only knows. God knows. But it's not there for decoration only ; on any cymbal it has it's effect on every cymbal. Notice the lathing underneath. One thing Francis said when looking at K Washingtons old K NS 22 (in that Z Bounce video) (or somewhere) (and may be true for many old Ks)

Topside was lathed one way. Bottom was lathed (as Paul said) "like "an A")
(not that old K was thinking about Avedis 4000 miles away)
but Francis for once had a valid (old K point) there. (he never recognized old K eras publicly )

Look at the bottom lathing in the above sold type III old K.
Lathing means a whole bunch- top and or bottom side ; to every cymbal.
I've heard it said by factory guys (in vids other snippets) that lathing is a High position in the manufacture chain towards final product
top:

bottom:

that wide 1/2" space top deep cut can be seen on plenty of old Ks right up until 1978
same for the the bottom style.
both top and bottom is exaggerated on this particular 1952? 51? 53? Type III (or late II whichever it is
why who knows just is

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What effect would that lathing have?
I leave that to each company to know. To their expertise. I don't need to know how "my BMW" is wired or how the lattice joints at what angle are welded.. just 'how's it drive'..

It's something that a company develops internally over decades. I leave it up to them. and pick from the finished product.
in other words you find trust with a particular company. If you feel the need to take them apart you aren't playing them or have too much time on your hands. It's their job to define that answer for you. We just experience and use the result

Last edited: