Anyone Here Play Vibes?

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the vibes. The closest I ever got was being passable on the marimba in high school and college.

I'm now watching a Gary Burton concert DVD, and am really enjoying it.

How many of you guys/girls play the vibraphone?

Last edited:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Gary Burton on vibes is like watching Buddy Rich on drums. Both are/were inhuman freaks of nature on their respective instruments.

I can only dream of playing like either one of them.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got to see a few of the greats live. Saw Burton at a clinic but saw Milt Jackson in the 80’s at a small jazz club. Also saw Dave Samuels in a couple of settings. Very different syles.
I also like Mike Maineiri and Bobby Hutchinson though never got to see them live.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that I HAVE played vibes/marimba/other mallet percussion, but not since college. I know there are several fine orchestral and theater players here who have more recent and skillful experience than I do.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My music degree was in "jazz performance", so all of the drummers had to double on vibes and at least be able to take a few chorus of rhythm changes. Haven't played since college, although I've taught front ensembles and percussion ensembles since then.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been very fortunate to have done some playing and performing with Kuniko Kato in improv settings and that was pretty cool.
I used to have a "portable suitcase" set of vibes....long gone..no pix.... I do use vibes and marimba patches on my Handsonic 10 and 15.
Sorry to take a slightly off topic turn.....still "mallet instrument" related.....my partner plays in a marimba band and most of the instruments reside in our living room. Vid from a old telethon and quasi seasonal....lol
Then there is this and a great interview in the second vid on how "mallets" came (back) into vogue in pop world land.
Finally the kids band....priceless.
bt

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have..
the band at the time that turned many jazz heads was Double Image

an album called "Dawn"

Vibes--the instrument itself, the maintenance, the portability--- is worse than it is with drums so I'd did, pass.

the Songs:

Dave Samuels Vibraharp, Marimba
David Friedman Marimba, Vibraharp
Harvie Swartz Bass
Michael DiPasqua Drums, Percussion

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a set of vibes, and have played them for my theater gigs when called for, but I don't play well enough to consider myself a vibraphonist.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ditto here, had vibraphone as secondary instrument during my jazz drums studies (studied with Tom van der Geld, not sure if anybody knows him), haben‘t played since. Our school inherited an instrument recently, so I might be able to practice during the holidays.
I felt quite an affinity to the instrument, but more in regard to the pure, legato, melodic aspect. Never aimed at playing fast.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ditto here, had vibraphone as secondary instrument during my jazz drums studies (studied with Tom van der Geld, not sure if anybody knows him), haben‘t played since. Our school inherited an instrument recently, so I might be able to practice during the holidays.
I felt quite an affinity to the instrument, but more in regard to the pure, legato, melodic aspect. Never aimed at playing fast.
Where did you study with Tom van der geld? He plays so beautifully on this album. Great sound. Masterful articulation and lyricism.

Attachments

Last edited:

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not players as such....are folks into percussion works as well? For me more "new music" rather than the nice stuff....along the likes of Xenakis for instance. I use this example as Kuniko Kato plays Xenakis on vibes and what she was doing with them was quite astounding.
Zappa's music has some nice vibe parts in the mix.

Not to flog the ditty, but this version he plays vibes and only the solo on marimba.....BUT that outfit!!!
On a side note....notice anything interesting about the drums?

bt

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Many years ago, I bought a collapsible Yamaha vibraphone and was getting into 4 mallet chords etc and then had to relocate to another country for my career as an ad exec and I sold it. I never got back into it which I regret.

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep! Play a bunch of mallet instruments, including vibes, marimba, glock and xylo (though definitely less of them since COVID as all my percussion quartet gigs got cancelled or postponed).
If you're into jazz vibes, would also highly recommend checking out Joe Locke, Warren Wolfe and Sasha Berliner.

sternerp

Reaction score
I've wanted to play vibes for years. They're just so expensive that I never went for it. However, now that you've got me thinking about them, I'm thinking that my renewed interest in playing Hammond organ will give me the keyboard knowledge to make learning vibes easier.

By the way, I was fortunate to see Bobby Hutchinson shortly before he died, and he was humorous and great! His band consisted of Joey DeFrancesco on Hammond B3, David Sanborn on alto sax, and Billy Hart on drums. It was at SF Jazz.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've wanted to play vibes for years. They're just so expensive that I never went for it. However, now that you've got me thinking about them, I'm thinking that my renewed interest in playing Hammond organ will give me the keyboard knowledge to make learning vibes easier.
I was going to mention that I think vibes have more in common with piano/keyboards than with drums. Some jazz pianists can pick up (two) mallets occasionally and play vibes; no chance for a jazz drummer. You need the orientation on the keyboard, knowledge of chords and scales.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was going to mention that I think vibes have more in common with piano/keyboards than with drums. Some jazz pianists can pick up (two) mallets occasionally and play vibes; no chance for a jazz drummer. You need the orientation on the keyboard, knowledge of chords and scales.
Well thats true to a certain extent. But pisnists have to deal with the maklets and technique which is very different than the finger technique of their primary instrument. Its really just a matter of daily practice like anything. If you think that as a drummer you can just pick up the vibes you will be surprised. But with some routine practice it will come.

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I own a set of vibes, I studied them a little bit in college, I don't consider myself a vibe player though. The vibes have been in storage for awhile, I'm hoping to finish my basement soon though so I can have them set up to play and try to get back into them along with my marimba.