Anyone Here Play Vibes?

covinasurf

Reaction score
I have a v1 Malletkat and a late 60’s Japanese student vibraphone that I’ve been slowly rehabbing for the last couple of years. There’s a slight warp to the frame that I’d like to get out. I also need new felt for the damper, the one on there now is too tall. If anyone knows a supplier I’m all ears.

Now if there was enough time to practice ......

JH

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I think when most drummers think of vibe playing, they're thinking of jazz. I did a little of that in college, and I've noodled around with improv a tiny bit (nothing beyond firing up the occasional Abersold track), but my keyboard percussion experience is 99.9% classical. I have vibes, but lately I use them for teaching more than anything else.

Griener

Reaction score
I use my spare time during this Corona thing to practice on my 1960 Trixon vibraphone. I never really had the time since I was busy playing gigs on drums, but as you know these are different times.
My main goal is to be able to improvise over chord changes, transcribing mostly Lester Young solos.
Lionel Hampton got me interested in the first place. So I‘m not so much attracted by Gary Burton‘s playing and his pianistic approach, but rather players like Milt Jackson, Bobby Hutcherson, Lem Winchester and especially Walt Dickerson, but that’s still a long way to go.
It’s a fun trip by so far.