Anyone here remember Drum World in Pittsburgh?

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone here remember DW? It was actually in Castle Shannon just south of PGH...it closed around 2 years ago and I still cannot believe it's gone. My job requires me to literally drive right past it several times a day and it used to be so convenient for me to pop in real quick if I needed something during the week.
We were all shocked when they announced the closing since it had been around since 1976!! I always assumed it would be there I guess...
I shudder to think how much scratch I spent there over the years, although I only bought 1 new kit from them. But TONS of cymbals/heads/sticks/percussion odds and ends/videos/my Black Beauty/etc...
I never really heard the exact reason they closed up...I assume another victim of the inter webs??

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
some of it (and staff) have moved over to...
not that I've been there..

Dave Throckmorton was over the house a week or so ago he's involved and Ross Lou Ross.
I bought (and traded) a few sets and cymbals at castle shannon the Drum World altho it was a 45 min drive I'm next county over (westmoreland)

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
some of it (and staff) have moved over to...
not that I've been there..

Dave Throckmorton was over the house a week or so ago he's involved and Ross Lou Ross.
I bought (and traded) a few sets and cymbals at castle shannon the Drum World altho it was a 45 min drive I'm next county over (westmoreland)
Oh wow! Yeah, I live about 20 min north of it so it was super convenient for me--even though the parking always Sucked!!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes but it was so quaint of a street..You have to go over to Pgh Drum Exchange and check it out...and then visit Hawthorne..then over to drumfactorydirect... and report back.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny thing. Even though I live in Sweden, I actually know that shop. Wife was working for Carnegie Mellon University for 2 years, and I flew over few times. Drum World was an obvious target to visit, and I think I took one lesson there too.
Nice shop! Too bad it's closed.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I actually go back to 1986, when they were in their OLD building about a block away--they moved into the "new" building in 1991. I still clearly remember attending a clinic by Rod Morganstein shortly after it opened (and Ritchie Hayward too iirc).
I still find it hard to believe I only bought 1kit there over all these years but it's true

Latest posts