Anyone know of modern tom L arm holder that works with my 1966 Ludwig toms, want to get them off the bass drum

tunesville

Reaction score
Hi y'all
I've got a vintage Ludwig 1966 set, w/ 12 & 13 toms. I want to get them off the bass drum, and fly them above the bass drum.
I've tried several modern L arm clamp-on tom holders, but the original mounts on my Ludwig toms won't take the modern L arms.
The modern L arms are much thicker diameter and thus too big for the old Ludwiig tom mounts.
I've also tried modern tom stands, but same issue, L arm is too big.\
Someone must make modern tom L arms that work with vintage Ludwigs....??
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would look into replacing the mounts on the toms. I am sure there are other mounts out there with the same hole pattern as the original Ludwig ones. Then just save the originals and swap them back on when it's time to sell the set.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the Ludwig double tom mount?

It will fit into any 1" tube. Like an old Ludwig stand, for example. I'm sure there are modern stands, too.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Replace the ball / L arm thing on any holder with a 9.5mm rod. The ball part size is universal.

Gibraltar sells the platforms without the ball part.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Technically there are two or three different ball sizes, so not quite universal; but it's easy to either stick with the same brand, for both the clamp part and the ball-arm part, or just look in the specs to make sure you're getting the right size. Like in that Gibraltar ball arm listing it says 1.5" ball.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Either change the ball(s) to 9.5mm units or change the brackets on the toms. I've done both.

Ludwig, DW, Gibraltar, and Gretsch all use the same size ball so a lot of choices there.

For a different bracket get INDe brackets for your toms, they'll bolt right on with the existing holes (if you have the classic brackets) and they'll hold any size L arm. They also act as an iso mount to give you better tone.

New ball arms are probably going to cost about half as much as the INDe mounts but then you don't get the benefit of using isolation mounts.

Here's a video I did on switching the mounts.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Atlas system to fly the 12 and 13 off cymbal stands, kept the stock mounts on so I can hang them on the stock double mount stand when I'm feeling that vibe

006.JPG
007.JPG

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 1961 Ludwig WMP 13 toms to the left of the BD, each on its own '70s Atlas stand. Makes the hat stand move over a bit, but still good to play. There are 2 Ride cymbals to the right, more or less above the BD. The 16 & 18 floor toms snuggle up to the far right...not politically however...The 22" WFL BD was never drilled for anything except lugs, so it doesn't have that center dual thing nor the rail consolette. Often on the gig, I'd use all that as a four piece, with the single 13 still on the Atlas stand, & just one 16 floor.

Kenwood

Reaction score
I like the look of the original double tom holder
but much prefer the function of the Ludwig rocker style double mount
with the omni spear-like design.

I use mine with the bass drum receiver,
P1010054.JPG
P1010056.JPG

but you could use a stand bottom instead.
the double upright spikes will fit your original tom mounting brackets with no problem

Last edited:

cruddola

Reaction score
Hi y'all
I've got a vintage Ludwig 1966 set, w/ 12 & 13 toms. I want to get them off the bass drum, and fly them above the bass drum.
I've tried several modern L arm clamp-on tom holders, but the original mounts on my Ludwig toms won't take the modern L arms.
The modern L arms are much thicker diameter and thus too big for the old Ludwiig tom mounts.
I've also tried modern tom stands, but same issue, L arm is too big.\
Someone must make modern tom L arms that work with vintage Ludwigs....??
Any ideas?
Thanks.
What I did is got some RIMS mounts and installed a ball mount receiver. Saves from having to drill the drum and preserving it's value. Gibralter offers a ball mounts and receivers with down tubes in various sizes. I've invested in nothing but Yamaha's 1st Generation HexRack system. 7/8 inch down tube is standard. Their YES mounts and memory-lock system is to die for. Even my snare and bass drum is suspended. I have an 8-piece YMCA at present. In a couple of minutes I can replace every drum with my Slingerland, Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, Sonor drums in exactly the same position as I have my drums all in the same sizes regardless of brand. Wasn't cheap by any means!

Last edited: