Anyone know what Paiste this is?

markie04drum

Reaction score
I posted this in a 2 year old thread in the cymbal talk section. Not sure that was the best place. ‍♂I really don’t know a lot about Paiste cymbals. I have a few Traditionals but a friend of mine just bought this and we were curious what line it is. Any Paiste experts here able to advise? Thanks!

331AEEDF-887A-4F45-9309-C21289C2A36D.jpeg

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's a prototype, with lathing that was found in the Innovations series and also the Light Dark Ride (might be more models with that lathing, can't remember). Judging by the deeper hammer marks and the color of the alloy, I'm going to guess that it was one of probably many variations on the Light Dark Ride, before they finally decided on the final product. For reference, here's a pic of my 21" Light Dark Ride. The bell and underside of mine are unlathed, but that would have likely been the result of much trial and error before arriving where they did.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew there would be a wealth of knowledge here!
Paiste released a TON of prototype cymbals in the mid-aughts. 2003-2005ish. At that time, they really seemed to be trying to push their boundaries. We got to benefit from all that experimentation. I probably had 10-15 proto's from that time period for many years. A buddy still has one, in what would eventually become the Twenty series (later to become the Masters).

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my Prototype. (Signature Series?)

It has become my main ride. Nice for jazz work. Heavily hammered right up through the bell, which I never saw before.
IMG_20200624_151408934.jpg

fenrir

Reaction score
Pretty sure that's a prototype of a 2002/Dimensions Cool Ride. I've had one. Like a heavier B8 Dark Energy Light Dark Ride. Raw, complex-ish and musical. Underrated

fenrir

Reaction score
Jimmy, yours is totally unique. That bell hammering has never appeared on any official Paiste release.

I think I was watching that one on eBay and nearly pulled the trigger but shipping (to the UK) always kills a deal

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy, yours is totally unique. That bell hammering has never appeared on any official Paiste release.

I think I was watching that one on eBay and nearly pulled the trigger but shipping (to the UK) always kills a deal
I actually got this one from a DFO member, but I agree, it is totally unique. I've never seen a hammered bell like this one has. Maybe the cymbal smith got distracted by a pretty girl walking by and never stopped hammering! :icon_lol: