Anyone knows the cheapest shipping method from Canada to the US?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking to ship a 20” bass drum from Canada to the US (west coast) and I was wondering if you have had any experience shipping drums from Canada to the US or vice versa and what route would be the cheapest!?
Many thanks in advance!

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
With any shipping for International company, ask if they have a Customs Handling Charge as well. I have shipped from US to Canada at a good rate, only to find the buyer was required to pay the shipper a charge for the Customs forms on their end before picking up the package. Nothing was mentioned on the website about the possible charge.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With any shipping for International company, ask if they have a Customs Handling Charge as well. I have shipped from US to Canada at a good rate, only to find the buyer was required to pay the shipper a charge for the Customs forms on their end before picking up the package. Nothing was mentioned on the website about the possible charge.
Yes all the shipping companies claim to have paid customs and pass on the bill to the customer when in fact it is not true. All i do is ask for the proof of payment and i tell them that i would be happy to cover the charges. 99% of the time, they can't provide it. They never mention any of that on their sites. USPS/ Canada post is the way to go for sure.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can someone please get a quote from Canada Post for shipping a 20” bass drum from Halifax b3l 2x5 to California 91206, weight should be about 20lb or 10kg I assume and value is 250 CAD. The box should fit a 20x14 bass so I assume 24x24x18? Or if they have flat rate boxes that should work too.
i try on their website to get a quote and doesn’t work for me for some reason.
Fedex is so expensive.

deegeebee

Reaction score
Comes up as $457 CAD! Bonkers. Wonder if rates are higher right now because of the rona?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Comes up as $457 CAD! Bonkers. Wonder if rates are higher right now because of the rona?
That’s more expensive than Fedex, unless the fedex rates were in CAD.

why is shipping from Canada to US that expensive? I have bought stuff from Germany and England with a way lower cost of shipping.
Shipping for a floor tom from Germany was only $50 euros.

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try your local UPS shop as well. Last couple of things I shipped to US, similar size and weight, was just about $200. Canada Post may be a bit cheaper but they do not take "oversize" boxes. I send all the snares and cymbals I sell to US via Canada Post for sure, bigger stuff, UPS works.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Can someone please get a quote from Canada Post for shipping a 20” bass drum from Halifax b3l 2x5 to California 91206, weight should be about 20lb or 10kg I assume and value is 250 CAD. The box should fit a 20x14 bass so I assume 24x24x18? Or if they have flat rate boxes that should work too.
i try on their website to get a quote and doesn’t work for me for some reason.
Fedex is so expensive.
Re do the estimate using a 22x22x18" box. If the quote us significantly cheaper, and it should be, remove all the hardware from the drum and use the smaller box

kevin klever

Reaction score
The drum shop I work at in Vancouver uses a service called Ship Nerd. Basically it's a guy who has accounts with all the major parcel services (mostly UPS but also DHL and FedEx) and you use Ship Nerd to send the packages through his account. As a result his account is shipping TONS of volume and he gets a super preferred rate which is passed on to us. Most of the drum shops in Canada are using it and it's very cheap, sometimes around 25% of what it would cost me as a regular guy. Not sure how it all works but definitely worth looking into. Other than that, Canada Post is great and if you get a business account and do everything online before dropping it at the post office they give you a decent little discount.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s more expensive than Fedex, unless the fedex rates were in CAD.

why is shipping from Canada to US that expensive? I have bought stuff from Germany and England with a way lower cost of shipping.
Shipping for a floor tom from Germany was only $50 euros.
Shipping from Germany to USA right now if way out of wack. Was reasonable in early March. Tried to get a small package 3 weeks ago (under a pound) and postage was set at $50+. Ordered the same item from England supplier for $10 shipping.

deegeebee

Reaction score
The drum shop I work at in Vancouver uses a service called Ship Nerd. Basically it's a guy who has accounts with all the major parcel services (mostly UPS but also DHL and FedEx) and you use Ship Nerd to send the packages through his account. As a result his account is shipping TONS of volume and he gets a super preferred rate which is passed on to us. Most of the drum shops in Canada are using it and it's very cheap, sometimes around 25% of what it would cost me as a regular guy. Not sure how it all works but definitely worth looking into. Other than that, Canada Post is great and if you get a business account and do everything online before dropping it at the post office they give you a decent little discount.
Oh Man! Thanks for the Pro-tip! Any catch at all to using this for occasional personal use? Looks awfully straightforward.