Anyone one else playing this weekend

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wedding gig tonight in the hills above Bakersfield. Brought out the Pete Thomas DW set with an early DW/Craviotto. Also brought out my new-to-me Paiste Silver Mellow Ride... another let go regret from the mid-aughts that I just now got back. Fun gig but way too cold up there for Ol’ Ryno the Lowlander. Brrrr...

9DA4F226-8924-4935-819A-0849EC00CD22.jpeg

3B6BB178-54F2-4AC9-9784-DEA9F1CD771C.jpeg

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep the pics and vids coming. I keep slacking on posting any I’ll try and be better this weekend

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Anyone playing this weekend? Let me tell you a tale of woe. Friday I had a rehearsal, then an assisted living facility gig (those are always an hour not counting setup/teardown), and a beachside gig. The first two zipped by. For some reason I was short of breath, fatigued and ... miserable on the last gig. Took me forever to pack my piddling bass drum, snare drum and hats (didn't even use a ride cymbal.)

Got home a little frightened by the way I was feeling. Took my blood pressure and it was 115/50 with a pulse rate of 101. My wife worked in the medical field at one time and thought it would be anemia. Turns out she was correct. The next day, Saturday, I called the band leader of my main group and told her I had to miss an 11AM-2PM brunch gig. She was accustomed to doing solo gigs so she and the bassist performed as a duo. I checked in to a nearby ER and it turned out my hemoglobim level was 7.1 (14 is healthy) and by the time that they admitted me it had fallen to 6.5. I was given some number of units of blood (I do not know the exact number), and that raised my hemoglobin level to 8.1. My body managed to produce enough to get it to 10.5 is successive steps based on six hour blood draws. That allowed me to get discharged (a mere four hours ago) and have the examination done as an outpatient. That involves the never fun C word, colonoscopy.

The whole episode also cost me my Sunday gig as well as the Saturday one. But it also forced me to confront the fact that I am 72 and have no business taking on so many gigs. Hard decisions, but necessary ones. The only "gig" I will never ax is my consulting one. That is a story for another time :)

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone playing this weekend? Let me tell you a tale of woe. Friday I had a rehearsal, then an assisted living facility gig (those are always an hour not counting setup/teardown), and a beachside gig. The first two zipped by. For some reason I was short of breath, fatigued and ... miserable on the last gig. Took me forever to pack my piddling bass drum, snare drum and hats (didn't even use a ride cymbal.)

Got home a little frightened by the way I was feeling. Took my blood pressure and it was 115/50 with a pulse rate of 101. My wife worked in the medical field at one time and thought it would be anemia. Turns out she was correct. The next day, Saturday, I called the band leader of my main group and told her I had to miss an 11AM-2PM brunch gig. She was accustomed to doing solo gigs so she and the bassist performed as a duo. I checked in to a nearby ER and it turned out my hemoglobim level was 7.1 (14 is healthy) and by the time that they admitted me it had fallen to 6.5. I was given some number of units of blood (I do not know the exact number), and that raised my hemoglobin level to 8.1. My body managed to produce enough to get it to 10.5 is successive steps based on six hour blood draws. That allowed me to get discharged (a mere four hours ago) and have the examination done as an outpatient. That involves the never fun C word, colonoscopy.

The whole episode also cost me my Sunday gig as well as the Saturday one. But it also forced me to confront the fact that I am 72 and have no business taking on so many gigs. Hard decisions, but necessary ones. The only "gig" I will never ax is my consulting one. That is a story for another time :)
Hope ya get better. I also hope I’m gigging still at 72. I’ve been playing sat-sun gigs for the past two months with no weekend off till next April minus Xmas hope you get back to it!!!!

Spoonman

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the first time since January 20, 2020 I was able to practice, in person, no masks, with my mates! Was the most invigorating time I have had since lock down…hope everyone else has been able to get ‘back to normal’…it sure felt great.
D2C87F71-89C3-42CB-A07D-445C19A43A48.jpeg
F6AE6730-2ABC-4FCF-96D0-C3CB7BC87D70.jpeg
11181077-DDBD-435D-BFEB-B9CD2BF79C06.jpeg

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very happy to see a lot of gigs, rehearsals, chances to play, etc., start to finally come back for everyone!

Tomorrow one of my bands, Bees Deluxe, will be at Newburyport Brewers in Newburyport (go figure) MA, 6p-9p.

Then on Sunday we'll be back at The City Winery Boston - doors open at 6p. This has turned into a nice room for us - good audiences & a great staff. We were booked at the Philly location as part of a 2020 tour that was cancelled. Re-booking as we speak...

This is a couple years ago at The City Winery featuring our bass player doing Robben Ford's "Prison of Love" - my first video/audio post here, be kind! haha

flatwins

Reaction score
Not I. Had knee surgery this morning so I’m out of commission for several weeks. I’ve been on crutches since early April but still was able to play and had a gig about 2 weeks ago. I don’t recommend falling through your attic ceiling and landing on the concrete floor below.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not I. Had knee surgery this morning so I’m out of commission for several weeks. I’ve been on crutches since early April but still was able to play and had a gig about 2 weeks ago. I don’t recommend falling through your attic ceiling and landing on the concrete floor below.
Jeez glad you’re ok that would be nuts

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve been asked to start back playing at churches, but I’m not ready. Kids aren’t vaccinated, and covid is still causing trouble. So it’s a strong no for me.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score