Anyone out there know which 1960s made in japan drums probably had similar to slingerland and or gretsch torpedo style bass drum t rods

wileycoyote

Reaction score
Anyone out there know which 1960s probably made in japan drums had torpedo style bass drum t rods similar to Slingerland and or Gretsch.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to DFO.

In the sixties the kits that were imported from Japan were marketed under dozens of names, I had one that had a "Del Rey" badge. One of my best friends had the identical kit, his had a Sears badge on it. Retailers would put their private label name on the drums. For this reason people often refer to these as "stencil" kits.

I wish that I would give you more of a definitive answer.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
under the list of names are many pictures:
also many MIJ enthusiasts
on this forum able to share intel:

Last edited:

wileycoyote

Reaction score
First of all, welcome to DFO.

In the sixties the kits that were imported from Japan were marketed under dozens of names, I had one that had a "Del Rey" badge. One of my best friends had the identical kit, his had a Sears badge on it. Retailers would put their private label name on the drums. For this reason people often refer to these as "stencil" kits.

I wish that I would give you more of a definitive answer.
I knew some of that. Thanks for your reply.I may have found the id I was looking for.Have a good one

rock roll

Reaction score
I bought the book - vintage stencil drums by marc patch.
It's price is very low. Not a thick book but informative.
It's been awhile since I read it , I'll have to re read it and get back to you.

Good info from JDA (above)

Take a bunch of pictures if you can and upload them here. It will help DFO members identify items.