Anyone own one of the current run Rogers kits ?

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has but the billet and purchase on of the new Rogers Covington series kits . If so, what is your opinion on sound , build quality ?

I am not in the market , just curious to get feedback from anyone that has a kit .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you read it out loud for Rick Billy? he likes being talked into it ;) :)

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
The entire 6 pages of that is mostly comments about the price, speculation, nostalgia, etc. Nobody there had bought a full set for us to hear about. The OP here may be well aware of that, which is why he's asking...

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you read it out loud for Rick Billy? he likes being talked into it ;) :)
You obviously did not read my post. I am not interested in a kit , I am just curious as to if anyone has bought a set and what their impressions are .

I saw the thread where everyone complains they are over priced but nothing special even though the majority of respondents have not seen a kit in person .

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive read somewhere, on this forum maybe, that they’ve sold 60 kits so far, so I’m guessing the chance of knowing somebody with one and being able to get a review might be slim right now.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a few proud new owners on Rogers Drums FB site. Nice drums for sure.
View attachment 478994
I think this photo was taken at the 2019 Chicago Drum Show? I was there that year, invited by Rob Cook to present a Q&A on Artist Relations and the Drum Industry, and I believe that kit was on display.

Drums94

Reaction score
Rogers made great innovations in the business. I have a 75 BIG R. Sounds amazing.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this photo was taken at the 2019 Chicago Drum Show? I was there that year, invited by Rob Cook to present a Q&A on Artist Relations and the Drum Industry, and I believe that kit was on display.
You are right John , I saw it there too . It was nice meeting you at the show as well .

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My post was intended to point anyone interested, to get closer to the source. There are a few there that have new Rogers kits. This thread has come up d.o.a.

• Haha
Reactions: bob

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
There's a few proud new owners on Rogers Drums FB site. Nice drums for sure.
View attachment 478994
Rick, we saw and played this blue lacquer kit in Chicago a bit. It sounded really good and that 20" bass drum thumped. It had one of Bill Detamore's amazing lacquer finishes that was just gorgeous. The kit was pricey, if I remember correctly. As you know, I have a gold sparkle lacquer 6.5x14 Dyna-Sonic Reissue that I really love. It's so uniquely different sounding from anything else I own. Nothing sounds or plays like a Dyna-Sonic. For certain, I have never played a more uniformly sensitive drum, right to the edge than that drum. What I mean by that is that it has the same sensitivity that you find in the center of the drum...right to the edge. There's no difference in sensitivity from the center to the edge. I would say that they accomplished their mission. As to whether the new Rogers will catch on... I just don't know. Young players really don't know the name an honestly, their heyday was way before my time too. Vintage Rogers drums are fabulous drums, made to more exacting specs than probably all other drum companies of the day. Every kit I have played had beautiful bearing edges and shells and sounded great. Will the new generation take to Rogers? I just don't know.

73Rogers

Reaction score
Not 100% sure if that's Jerry Shields in that photo, but I think it is. Jerry was one of the employees in Covington and put the final tune on the Dynasonics before they left the factory. Unfortunately, he passed away a week or so ago from complications of COVID. In the last few years he was active on the Rogers FB groups and answered a lot of questions for people.