Anyone own TWO of the same ride, same size?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ever like a ride cymbal so much that you own two of them? Different gram sizes, slight/drastic variations...but exact model. Am I mad?

I have another 22" Masters Dark ride coming in the mail that I couldn't resist.:walk:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
they're not the same size..but sometimes same pitch...more often I find that... (lol
but the final arbiter of that is in a room in a band. Then two you thought were the same weren't or aren't..

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, done it many times. Sometimes as a backup, sometimes I’ll sell one that isn’t getting used as much.

Reaction score
I'll confess that I do. I own two Paiste Sound Creation Dark rides. They are such a strong sound in my head (and in my voice on the drums,) that I wanted to have a back-up.... just in case.

So I have a GREAT older 1978 era one that I got from Steve Smith (he was a Paiste endorser for a second,) and a newer one (not New Dimensions though) that I got from list member (and old friend) Tom Killian.

The older one is a truly MAGIC cymbal, Al Foster and I had our SCDR's side by side, and I drilled my rivet holes based on where his were (and I use the same rivets.) Al's original SCDR and mine are as identical as any two cymbals could be. I grew up hearing his ride, so that sound was ingrained on my drumming soul, so that I can now hear the same sound inside my head, and as I play. That's musical nirvana!!! Priceless.

I would be crushed if I was traveling and my beloved original SCDR got lost, stolen, or damaged, so I bought Tom's (it is a good one, and he gave me a great deal, all OCD gear craziness aside, he's a really good guy) as a really good backup cymbal to travel with (without much worry.) The weight of the two is within maybe a hundred grams (from my memory.) I have the rivets in similar positions, they are REALLY close, and most importantly it plays "pretty much" the same (although it still took a while to really get to know it.)

So now I can have one set up at home, and have "the one" in the case for local-ish gigs, or switch them for traveling. Or whatever....

So yeah, I confess to having two SCDR's. Guilty as charged your honor.

IMG_0594.JPG

However, it does seem that the bell on the newer one (on the right) is slightly larger. I have never asked the Paiste guys about it. But as I said, it sounds and plays reeeealy close.

MSG

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have at least a few Bosphorus Traditional 20" rides, of varying eras and weight/model designations. They sound distinct from each other, to the point where it is well worth it to own such a range. I have 2 Bos Trad 22's, one thin and very new, and one pretty heavy and about 18 years old. They are like night and day different.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
And with Paiste's consistency, you will basically have two of the exact same ride!
Maybe not quite but very close for sure.

I have two 20" Masters Mellow (Bluebird) Rides. They sound absolutely the same in character (you know, tonal balance, ping, wash, crash...), but are about a semitone apart in pitch. Pretty amazing cymbals. Found them new for 50% off and couldn´t decide which one I liked better so I bought both. :confused3:
Also had two 21" Zildjian K Custom Special Dry Rides for a while. One is perfect (still have it), the other one had to go. Sounded a bit lifeless - more dead than dry.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had five 20” White Label pre-serial GB multi rides until about a year ago. Now I have three.

I have 2-3 60s/70’s 20” A rides all around the same weight.

2 x 70’s 20” 404s - one is labeled “Ride” the other “Medium” but they’re basically the same.

So, yes. It doesn’t seem that unusual. :)

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Dream Bliss 24” small bell flat rides, they each sound a bit different, though I am selling one of them now.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I have two 20" 60s A's that are completely different in character but very close in pitch. I have not bonded with the second (lighter weight) one yet, it is a beast and hard to control.

TPC

Reaction score
Three or four 20” old A’s.

Different eras, different weights, ...

So, no, not really the same.

paulwells73

Reaction score
As a jazz drummer who plays handmade, hand hammered cymbals, I think one can never really have too many of the same model - they’re all going to be different. For instance, I have four different Agop 30th Anniversary 22s, and they’re all totally unique and excel at different jobs. An even more extreme example is my collection of three different 22" Old Ks - a Type IIa old stamp, a Type IVb old stamp, and an intermediate stamp. Despite being a similar weight, you couldn’t find three more different cymbals within a similar category (hand hammered Turkish cymbals.)

Even with a company as consistent as Paiste, Mark’s post shows that there are still nuances between two examples of the same model, like the difference in bell sizes between his two SCDRs. And the difference between a 2002 18" crash from the 70s and an 18" 2002 crash from the 80s is pretty significant, if you’re a connoisseur of such cymbals. The deeper we get into these things, the more our ears become tuned to those subtle differences - hence the fun!

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I'll confess that I do. I own two Paiste Sound Creation Dark rides. They are such a strong sound in my head (and in my voice on the drums,) that I wanted to have a back-up.... just in case.

So I have a GREAT older 1978 era one that I got from Steve Smith (he was a Paiste endorser for a second,) and a newer one (not New Dimensions though) that I got from list member (and old friend) Tom Killian.

The older one is a truly MAGIC cymbal, Al Foster and I had our SCDR's side by side, and I drilled my rivet holes based on where his were (and I use the same rivets.) Al's original SCDR and mine are as identical as any two cymbals could be. I grew up hearing his ride, so that sound was ingrained on my drumming soul, so that I can now hear the same sound inside my head, and as I play. That's musical nirvana!!! Priceless.

I would be crushed if I was traveling and my beloved original SCDR got lost, stolen, or damaged, so I bought Tom's (it is a good one, and he gave me a great deal, all OCD gear craziness aside, he's a really good guy) as a really good backup cymbal to travel with (without much worry.) The weight of the two is within maybe a hundred grams (from my memory.) I have the rivets in similar positions, they are REALLY close, and most importantly it plays "pretty much" the same (although it still took a while to really get to know it.)

So now I can have one set up at home, and have "the one" in the case for local-ish gigs, or switch them for traveling. Or whatever....

View attachment 446928

However, it does seem that the bell on the newer one (on the right) is slightly larger. I have never asked the Paiste guys about it. But as I said, it sounds and plays reeeealy close.

MSG
Beauties! It’s hard to tell... Are you using 2 rivets, diametrically opposed? (I really am interested, not just looking for an excuse to say “diametrically opposed” in a literal sense)

I’ve done the same cymbal thing a few times, sure. Sometimes it was “this cymbal is so good, I need a backup” and sometimes it was to get 2 different but complementary sounds - like rivets on one, none on the other - so you have the same fundamental sound but with a variation. I also have 6 or 7 pairs of the same exact jeans in different colors though, so i guess I'm wired that way.

Reaction score
Yes 2 rivets, at opposite sides of the cymbal (diametrically opposed.) They hang at about 4 and 10 o'clock, so I don't play on the rivets spots. I was going for that when I drilled the holes. I also use nickel rivets with very large (wide) heads, not heavy just large. In the newer one there are 6 holes, I only use 2 of them.

MSG

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I dont have two of the same cymbals, and I wouldn't foresee myself doing that because it would just be to expensive. However, as a newbie collector of old Kashian cymbals, I could see myself having two or even more of them, especially the rides. They would all be different weights I suppose, so no two would sound alike. Probably the same as old Zildjian collectors...

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 446928

MSG
You know my current scdr is even better! If you bought that from me you would be set for life.
Left side ride
Main ride
Far right
:3some:

You would be the first one on the block playing three 22" scdrs on a gig

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A whole bunch of the Agops I own are duplicates. Sometimes it’s just me jumping on a good deal With the intention of selling one down the line; other times, it’s two “identical” cymbals (same series, same size) that sound nothing alike. That’s the beauty/curse of hand-hammered pies, I guess.

Reaction score
You know my current scdr is even better! If you bought that from me you would be set for life.
Left side ride
Main ride
Far right
:3some:

You would be the first one on the block playing three 22" scdrs on a gig
Nah, I can't even get comfortable with a 20" LSR. And I have a GREAT one too. I have been gigging (right before the the world stopped) 22" SCDR, 20" SCD Crash, and the 20" 602 Flat. I am just sooooo used to a 19" on the left.

Three 22's? I'm not man enough for that. I can't even get comfortable playing a 24. Three 22's? You got me confused with that Blade guy.

I've got the best of all worlds in my present setup of jazz pies.

22" SCDR (Al-ish) 19" Trashy Masters (Tony-ish) 13 A's (Mel-ish or Papa Jo-ish) 20" 602 Thin Flat (Roy-ish.) Those are all the "ride" sounds that I LOVE and hear in my head, and I can switch between them within the context of the same tune.

If I don't need the "trash," I pop up the 19" 602 Medium for a Jimmy Cobb vibe, but man that 20" Sound Creation Dark Crash is working it's way in, it's KILLER!!!! I've actually been "getting to know it" by using it as a main ride recently while teaching.

And amazingly EVERYTHING (even if I sub in the riveted 602 Paperthin or my amazing new 22" Masters Dark) compliments one another, no matter what I put up, they sound like a "set of cymbals."

Nah, I'm already SET for life!!!!!!!
MSG

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two 20" 60s A's that are completely different in character but very close in pitch. I have not bonded with the second (lighter weight) one yet, it is a beast and hard to control.
Yeah, I had one like that for a long time. Hated it. It was 22xx grams and had the longest sustain of and cymbal I've ever had. I think it may have been an orchestral cymbal maybe? Did Zildjian make orchestral A's in the 60's?

I actually picked up two more A's today. Both 20". A little info Here .

I'm not sure which one I want to put rivets in, yet.

Latest posts