Anyone owns an Hollywood Meazzi kit? Post a picture!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, most classic Italian sports cars only have about 20,000 miles on them and sit in their garage’s looking pretty most of the time. So yeah, it’s an Italian thing! :icon_lol:
Yea but in recent years, I’d say past 10 years the Alfa Romeo game has been really strong in CA. You see lots of them running the canyons here in LA. Beautiful piece of art vehicles.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
That’s a real beauty, and that Art Deco badge is really cool and so all American, which is odd for a made in Italy product...
They are easily my favorite drums badges! Both the main badge and the vent hole badge. Normal drummers pine away for a Sonor or CamCo but I just dream of a Hollywood President or a Meazzi HiPercussion.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beech shells .

I had a black and yellow tiger stripe Meazzi snare drum . Comfortable feel to it .

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but in recent years, I’d say past 10 years the Alfa Romeo game has been really strong in CA. You see lots of them running the canyons here in LA. Beautiful piece of art vehicles.
I hear you, I’m a big Italian car buff, well almost anything Italian actually. They’re built with passion and a love that no other country puts into their cars and other products like Italy does. I have 5 classic Italian road bikes and there is simply nothing to compare them to. Speed, handling, beauty all in one package.

And yeah, I love the new Alfa’s!

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
Hi Love them. I have a Hollywood President and a HiPercussion both in bop sizes. I only like the President and Max Roach models from Hollywood. I do NOT like The Golden Sound, Jolly and Wooding at all. Stay away!!!! the goldensound is Cheap poplar shells but the PRESIDENT is amazing beach shells and incredible. Max Roach used the Hollywood with the timpani on the track 'Effi' if you get a chance to hear. The baring edges look like they are a mistake but ads to the character. My tech wanted to cut them but I wouldn't let him.
My HiPercussion is same shells as Hollywood President and very similar sound (maybe even slightly better). I wouldn't buy the concert tom HiPercussions from 80s but the earlier 70s modello 45 jazz is just like the Hollywoods. I think they have acrylic too that is supposed to be good but I have not heard.

The Timpani Floor Toms are addictive. I found it weird to play with a kit without timapni now
. I have a 14" and 16" timpani floor toms set up to play together.

I wouldn't buy the concert tom HiPercussions' but the earlier modello 45 jazz is just like the Hollywoods.

stopsign70

Reaction score
"goldensound is Cheap poplar shells but the PRESIDENT is amazing beach shells"
about that: President line and Golden/Silver sound models have the same shells

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
thats not true. The Golden Sound 100 percent are not the same shells as the President. I have had a few and played a few others and also the Italian Drum book clearly states that.. I can go on

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
I suggest you go on the Hollywood Meazzi Facebook and say Golden Sound has same shells as President and see how far you get. There is a big differance and sellers push Golden Sound and Jolly as the same but they are not at all and to be honest the Golden Sound are awful drums

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
Ok so why my golden sound so bad? Mine had poplar not Beachwood..And what is the difference between golden and president? Thanks

stopsign70

Reaction score
Well, I suppose you didn't read the book about Golden/Silver and President and I could suppose you mean beech, not beach (the beach is close to the sea).

Don't know why your Golden is "so bad", an oddity or bad conservation?
the difference between President and Golden/Silver is the hardware mounted on.

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
Well, I suppose you didn't read the book about Golden/Silver and President and I could suppose you mean beech, not beach (the beach is close to the sea).

Don't know why your Golden is "so bad", an oddity or bad conservation?
the difference between President and Golden/Silver is the hardware mounted on.
Thanks . My golden sound was poplar so I don't know . Was any meazzi with poplar?

And thanks also for making fun of spelling like only a kindhearted person would. That's was a classic macho man move

stopsign70

Reaction score
a classic macho man move like "go on Holywood group and see what happens... "? :)

are you able to recognize poplar from beech bad conservation? don't be so sure about it.
got my book? stay in my group? strange you don't know what's Meazzi poplar made :)

LunchboxJazz

Reaction score
Weird . So all golden sound are beechwood? I know you call your self an expert but I don't know how the argue what I know to be true with someone who decides they are the top person on their field. Actually I will just let you say it and leave it at that .

Are you saying all golden sound and president shells are the same ???????? Like I said I have very different experience.

stopsign70

Reaction score
hey man!... you're really incredible :) are you in my FB group? what's your name? make the question. we are more than 1500 members.
let's see what happens

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so why my golden sound so bad? Mine had poplar not Beachwood..And what is the difference between golden and president? Thanks
Could it just be you had bad drumheads on the Golden Sound's, or perhaps the edges on your kit were a little wonky and out of shape? Could it be different hoops? All of that could make for a different sound, maybe not to your liking.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I like my President Double Sound so much, I picked up another Hollywood with a single strainer setup!

The wrap on this one is so beautiful and in such good shape!

51115286395_3459448efb_b.jpg

51114496176_e2f3ca1806_b.jpg

I replaced the hoops and claws with modern ones for better playability and to be a bit more robust. I also replaced the tension rods with the DW fine thread ones so I can tune it with a normal drum key. It's now my primary snare with my 66' Ludwig Downbeat kit.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Question for you guys: I see the Oceanic name tossed around in relation to Hollywoods every once in awhile, is it a finish or is it a product line? I can't seem to find any info about an Oceanic product line and I've seen a varieyt of oyster type finishes listed as Oceanic.

Sue D.

Reaction score
found a President set in the wilds of the U P in Michigan....22,13,18.....Missing Tom mount and lots of other parts...I found out lots of parts were in Sweden and Germany...and..to get a small handful of parts...was around $30 to ship..around 15 years ago!..Drums are in Canada now...and guy really likes them....

stopsign70

Reaction score
Question for you guys: I see the Oceanic name tossed around in relation to Hollywoods every once in awhile, is it a finish or is it a product line? I can't seem to find any info about an Oceanic product line and I've seen a varieyt of oyster type finishes listed as Oceanic.

Oceanic is a model of the cheap line: 13 16 20 and snare