Anyone owns an Hollywood Meazzi kit? Post a picture!

Jay_M

Reaction score
I have a COS snare with a "Fran Co." badge, which is apparently a very obscure mid-70s line made in the Meazzi plant. It has the exact same design as the Hollywood chrome snare (clip on tension rods, band around the middle, etc.). 10 lugs. Amazing snare. Loud and cutting but warmer than you'd expect a steel snare to sound (which is common for older steel models). Always wanted a wood Meazzi snare with one of those odd wraps, but apparently there's the "Mod Jolly" line and others that are budget lines, so it gets confusing knowing how much should be spent on one. They always fetch $$ due to rarity, but I question which ones are worth the bread for functionality and sound. I'd end up drilling for a new strainer or something because I'd wanna gig and record with it.

As for the kits, I did hear a bop set once. Traditional sound, not a ton of protection or attack but great tone. That could also be head choice, tuning and player, but not as much bark as a Gretsch bop set. Closer to a Sonor Teardrop, but less bark than that also. Always wanted one but parts are rough and they're always in Europe - the shipping takes me out the game. Dejohnette and Cobham both played them for awhile early in their careers.

stopsign70

Reaction score
so many questions, so many answers. help me with my next book :) English translation expecially

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a Meazzi set years ago..in 18-12-14.....pre camera phone...When they got them,I was aghast......6 lug BD..and.. very cheap looking shells..with like a gold sparkle..that had “cancer spots” everywhere!Had cool Art Deco style lugs....that was about the only saving grace....I finally sold them for cost.....Not sure of the model....

Jamie_DF

Reaction score
Hi
I live in Perth, Australia and purchased this Meazzi President circa 1965 kit from original owner who shipped it from Italy in the early 70s. I’ve taken it apart and cleaned every single nut and bolt and replaced heads etc.
difficult to find spare parts so had to improvise unfortunately but the kit is amazing. Recorded with it a month ago and the sound is beautiful. It does not get out much as it’s quite delicate so I prefer not to gig with it in case she gets hurt.
looking to sell soon

Attachments

Wenindowt Role

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone owns an Hollywood Meazzi kit and if you could share a picture. Do you play it regularly? How do you like it?
I had a 6 1/2"x14 I believe 3ply snare with a strange wrap that looked alot like wet concrete. Found in a pawn shop in L.A. in 80 something. It was so out of round as to be unplayable so it went to a certain someone who needed parts. Much earlier, I came across a full page ad from somewhere that showed a humongous kit, a mixture of concert and traditional toms festooned with all their quirky hardware on a rolling rack. This was in the mid-70s to boot. I fell in love. Kinda struck the same heartstrings as those Orange and North drum ads back in the day...

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the wrap and the badge is very cool to, but that tom mount has to be the simplest, strangest thing I’ve ever seen! I find myself looking at it as one would a piece of modern art, part admiration and part “what the blank is that about?”:shock:
Tome mount looks like a piece of bent electrical conduit! lol! The rest of the kit is cool!