Anyone planning/dreaming about a move?

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was reading Rich K's thread about Keene and wanted to see if anyone else is contemplating or dreaming (like me) about the greener grass on the other side.

Recently I have been watching way too many shows on TV about people moving to the Caribbean :) I am an immigrant and restless by nature and I feel like I have had enough cold to last me a life time . A nice two bedroom condo, overlooking the Caribbean, in a nice gated community with a pool and other amenities , in Dominican Republic, for $199.000USD. Totally doable. The question is, what do you do there, how do you survive? A drum shop will not do but maybe a small full music shop, supplying gear to people and the resorts? Who knows, one can dream...The thing is , I don't want to do it when I retire. I want to do it now, when I can still do stuff.

Anyone has property in the Caribbean, or is/has contemplated the prospect?

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this pandemic has a lot of us thinking about greener pastures.

I'm a lifelong New Yorker, but I'm not sure I can take much more of this. This city, like so many other's, is going off in a direction I don't even recognize. It's really becoming nuttsville here. My problem is how do I start over at 61 years old? Everything I know is here, family, friends, associations, etc. As good as other places look, I'm not sure I can pick up that easy.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno Murat : ) Sounds like North Carolina to me : D
maybe South Carolina
I don't think you have to go off the grid :D

plus gets kinda "windy" down in the ol' Carribean doesn't it ; )
wasn't it just leveled.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say ya where I'm at I have the best of West Virginia -in the distance on one side and a very long view- to NYC on the other. But don't tell nobody.
"we don't want you here" :D lol kidding.. "stay out" lol Hell I don't even know California exists.. and what's this Seattle thing is that a type of cow?

Last edited:

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
I was reading Rich K's thread about Keene and wanted to see if anyone else is contemplating or dreaming (like me) about the greener grass on the other side.

Recently I have been watching way too many shows on TV about people moving to the Caribbean :) I am an immigrant and restless by nature and I feel like I have had enough cold to last me a life time . A nice two bedroom condo, overlooking the Caribbean, in a nice gated community with a pool and other amenities , in Dominican Republic, for $199.000USD. Totally doable. The question is, what do you do there, how do you survive? A drum shop will not do but maybe a small full music shop, supplying gear to people and the resorts? Who knows, one can dream...The thing is , I don't want to do it when I retire. I want to do it now, when I can still do stuff.

Anyone has property in the Caribbean, or is/has contemplated the prospect?
I'm planning a move Murat, but going north to Keswick rather than the Caribbean. While the weather will no doubt be colder, the small town feel and the real estate value for money can't be beat. Plus the new house has a fire pit out back, so that should balance things out nicely. May even feel tropical if I close my eyes...

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always said if I get sick of what I'm doing now I'm going to open a bait shop and tell everyone to kiss my dupa.

But I'm completely happy where I'm at so no near future plans for that.

Actually, I already did what you are contemplating. I lived on the east coast for over 40 years and moved out to the west coast high desert. I got tired of being lifestyle "conservative" and said screw it and made the plunge and you know, it's a lot less scarier than it seems. A lot.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say ya where I'm at I have the best of West Virginia -in the distance on one side and a long view- to NYC on the other. But don't tell nobody.
"we don't want you here" :D lol kidding.. "stay out" lol
I lived in WV for a while. Sardis OH actually but same thing.

In a camper too, in a campground. Step down from a trailer park. Just for a couple years while we were transitioning.

And I'd go back to that again in a heartbeat, what a simplistic lifestyle. Bonfires every night and something or another on the grill.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know where the place where the internet isn't allowed? Yep. Read about it in that there "New York Times" (is that a building?"

:D

that's a little extreme ^ (lol

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know where the place where the internet isn't allowed? Yep. Read about it in that there "New York Times" (is that a building?"

:D

that's a little extreme ^ (lol
One of the docs I work with did a study on this area. I've never seen it but if I can dig it up I'll post it. He told me about it when we were chatting, he's from the area. I wasn't familiar with it at the time.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I've lived in New York, Florida, Arizona, California & currently North Carolina. Spent significant time in Texas & Ohio. Traveled many countries and got to do more than play tourist in some. I have been strongly considering moving to Japan. I had a 3 year visa to go last May, even planning on buying a house (they don't like renting to foreigners) but the pandemic stopped things. Fortunately I can work almost anywhere if I have a studio to use.

Its easy to think somewhere else will be better. Many move to places for the wrong reasons. Often especially Florida, Las Vegas & Southern California, move there thinking they will be living the tourist lifestyle. Here in North Carolina we have a lot of "Halfbacks." They are people from Northern states that moved to Florida but then move Halfway back home to the Carolinas. Often they can't afford to move back to their home state. They find salaries in FL are low, expenses can be high & during tourist season going out is priced for northerners. Many don't like the weather, tho they enjoy it for a week during vacation.

I have friends that have retired to places like Mexico, Portugal, Costa Rica, Thailand. Mostly because the cost of living is less. Most say it is like when they lived in the US. Most locals they are friends with are Americans or other ex-pats. They stay around their communities just like they did before the move.

I always recommend to move to gain something you need but don't have where you currently live. Costs, weather, access to something. I always researched & planned my moves except my first move.

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank." But it does smell awful.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is my dream that we cash out of our house here in the Bay Area and make the move to the Big Island in Hawaii. Since I'm getting up in years, this may happen sooner than later.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always said if I get sick of what I'm doing now I'm going to open a bait shop and tell everyone to kiss my dupa.

But I'm completely happy where I'm at so no near future plans for that.

Actually, I already did what you are contemplating. I lived on the east coast for over 40 years and moved out to the west coast high desert. I got tired of being lifestyle "conservative" and said screw it and made the plunge and you know, it's a lot less scarier than it seems. A lot.
What area are you in? I'd guess Reno...

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've had residences in the Philippines, India, Kuwait and Dubai (and have traveled to a lot more places.) In the US I've lived in HI and up and down the east coast, in CA and WA and CO and KS. I am comfortable just about anywhere.

My new wife and I have been seriously thinking about ditching FL and moving to TN, back to my birth state, VA, or even WV. TN has no state income tax, like FL, so that makes it a prime candidate.

Another option is to keep the home in FL and do a reverse snowbird thing by spending the winters in one of the aforementioned candidate places, and summer down in FL. She and I love snow (and we grew up in it), and have long been attracted to mountains. I spent most of my life either at sea or in coastal or island places, so being near water has no appeal to me. For some strange reason, though, I do love rivers.

We are not adverse to living outside the US either. I am not tied to any particular artificial boundary like a nation or national territory, but there is the convenience factor - I would hate to lose my military retirement or social security on a technicality, like forgetting to make periodic visits to the US. On the other hand, eastern TN or SW VA (or even western NC) have strong appeal.

KevinD

Reaction score
Well, I’m going to guess that after almost a year of being locked down, or nearly so, a lot of folks are looking to make a change and move somewhere else in many cases just so they can be somewhere else.

I’ve lived in NYC or, more recently right adjacent to it since 1994. Lots of changes in the city and even NY-NJ in general, lots of traffic, costs keep going up-for just about everything it seems.

The proximity to Manhattan (25-30 mins to Times Square) was an attraction, our jobs were based there, we knew a lot of people and a lot of great restaurants...and then the music scene was always pretty good, and I got to know a lot of great players. But a lot of that has changed,

I don't think I've played a gig in Manhattan since 2019...Can't say I miss it either, it became too much of a hassle...I think I've "aged out" of it. Even before Covid it was becoming a place I didn't quite recognize, the music scene was struggling, places have closed, people have moved on, and now it is reaching 1970s crime levels... so the city no longer holds any sway over where I live.

We’ve been talking about moving somewhere else for a better quality of life and lower cost of living.
Generally looking to move to a warmer climate and I would like to be around an area that is musically active (which can be a bit of a crap shoot these days).
For my day job, Pre-Covid I normally travel quite a lot all over the country so I get a decent sampling of a lot of places.

Probably one of the Carolinas (it seems half the people I grew up with live in the greater Charlotte area now, my job is HQ’d there as well). Or maybe TN).

My dad lives in Fla at least 1/2 of the year and I have some musical ties to Tampa.. lots of live music there even today, so I have not ruled that out either.

This is pretty funny!! …since I started writing this my mail was delivered… and one of the pieces of mail was a card informing me that my town is now undertaking an “emergency property tax revaluation project." SOOO that just means that things are going to go up…again.
It just gives me another reason to look elsewhere.

I’m sure that will be a conversation over dinner tonight.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lived in six states. You can't outrun yourself. If you're miserable in New York, you may be less miserable in Hawaii, but not as much as you think. Plus, you'll learn how difficult it is to form close connections with other adults in the geography you just arrived in. (Most will assume you're in Witness Protection).

PS: "Only 40 minutes from the beach or the mountain" is how Realtors describe undesirable locations from which you can reach cool places in under an hour -- between the hours of 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. in the offseason (excluding days affected by weather, construction, unusual congestion and other daily occurances).

Last edited:

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm 1/2 hour from Delaware, where the average property tax bill is 92% cheaper than here in NJ. No sales tax, no personal property tax, and car insurance is 70% cheaper on average. And if you're 65 and over, your already low property taxes are slashed by 50%. Sounds great, right? You'd think that being in such close proximity to South Jersey, divided only by a river, the people there would share some of the same attributes as us. Not the case-at all. I find most Delawarians way too strange for me in both beliefs and lifestyle. Enough so that I will gladly continue to struggle here in SJ, probably until the day I die. I don't want to be one of THOSE people. They're even worse than the scumbags that occupy the northern part of our state.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm 1/2 hour from Delaware, where the average property tax bill is 92% cheaper than here in NJ. No sales tax, no personal property tax, and car insurance is 70% cheaper on average. And if you're 65 and over, your already low property taxes are slashed by 50%. Sounds great, right? You'd think that being in such close proximity to South Jersey, divided only by a river, the people there would share some of the same attributes as us. Not the case-at all. I find most Delawarians way too strange for me in both beliefs and lifestyle. Enough so that I will gladly continue to struggle here in SJ, probably until the day I die. I don't want to be one of THOSE people. They're even worse than the scumbags that occupy the northern part of our state.
Scumbags above you and strange people below ... sounds like you are in purgatory or something :)

Cpb282

Reaction score
I’m from the NYC area - no longer live “in” the city, but my office is there. Not northern NJ (although to be fair, I may or may not be a scumbag).

The tentative plans are NC/TN or VT/NH/ME upon semi-retirement after the kids are out of the nest. Still have 7-10 years to go, so no firm plans yet and life throws lots of curve balls, so who knows?

The goal is somewhere we can be less than a 12-hour drive from NYC, on the east-ish coast, but where we can have some more space to roam, a good size garden, and a bit of a slower paced lifestyle.

BUT, and here’s the big but, where folks are at least somewhat like us. That probably means it will be where former NYers flock to. We’ll still gripe about those folks, but we’ll pay far less taxes.

For context, in our area property/school taxes for a 2,400 sf house are in the $20k+ range. That goes a long way elsewhere. Especially over a 30 year period, assuming I survive from 55-85 years old.

It is nice to dream (and have goals) anyway . . .

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m realizing OKC ain’t so bad , it has come a long long way since I moved here
, even though it’s still the Bible Belt . I’d love to join my sister In Portland Oregon though . I really liked it when I visited .
I just couldn’t imagine being able to afford it up there as my job isn’t tech related ...