Anyone planning/dreaming about a move?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’m from the NYC area - no longer live “in” the city, but my office is there. Not northern NJ (although to be fair, I may or may not be a scumbag).

The tentative plans are NC/TN or VT/NH/ME upon semi-retirement after the kids are out of the nest. Still have 7-10 years to go, so no firm plans yet and life throws lots of curve balls, so who knows?

The goal is somewhere we can be less than a 12-hour drive from NYC, on the east-ish coast, but where we can have some more space to roam, a good size garden, and a bit of a slower paced lifestyle.

BUT, and here’s the big but, where folks are at least somewhat like us. That probably means it will be where former NYers flock to. We’ll still gripe about those folks, but we’ll pay far less taxes.

For context, in our area property/school taxes for a 2,400 sf house are in the $20k+ range. That goes a long way elsewhere. Especially over a 30 year period, assuming I survive from 55-85 years old.

It is nice to dream (and have goals) anyway . . .
Better hurry if you are planning on TN, which is probably the least expensive of your stated options. Right now, anyway. East TN, where I am looking, in the Tri-Cities area is getting more and more expensive by the month.

If you want to add 3-4 hours to your "less than a 12-hour drive from NYC" you may want to look at central FL. Full of ex-New Yorkers, plus a bunch who own property down here and spend a few months a year at the beach. Cost of living is dirt cheap. I was easily making it on navy retirement and social security. The reason that is past tense is I got bored and took on a consulting job, but if you want to enjoy life in your waning, er, twilight years, this is a pretty good deal. Another plus, you can live in a suburban setting like I chose, or rural, or even in a city. I am living in a place called Deltona, which is halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach (about 40 minutes or less in either direction). Folks range from typical NYC to rednecks and everything in between. You can get your 2400 sq/ft house (my size too) for $225K or less. Mine new cost $145K in 2004 to give some context. East TN is a fraction of that, plus it has mountains ... but not so many NYC escapees.

Cpb282

Reaction score
Better hurry if you are planning on TN, which is probably the least expensive of your stated options. Right now, anyway. East TN, where I am looking, in the Tri-Cities area is getting more and more expensive by the month.

If you want to add 3-4 hours to your "less than a 12-hour drive from NYC" you may want to look at central FL. Full of ex-New Yorkers, plus a bunch who own property down here and spend a few months a year at the beach. Cost of living is dirt cheap. I was easily making it on navy retirement and social security. The reason that is past tense is I got bored and took on a consulting job, but if you want to enjoy life in your waning, er, twilight years, this is a pretty good deal. Another plus, you can live in a suburban setting like I chose, or rural, or even in a city. I am living in a place called Deltona, which is halfway between Orlando and Daytona Beach (about 40 minutes or less in either direction). Folks range from typical NYC to rednecks and everything in between. You can get your 2400 sq/ft house (my size too) for $225K or less. Mine new cost $145K in 2004 to give some context. East TN is a fraction of that, plus it has mountains ... but not so many NYC escapees.
Yep - east TN tri-cities area, and I have seen prices increasing. Unfortunately it is not yet time. While not as many NYers, we might be a novelty in a place like that, given our accents, yet not universally avoided as “one of those”.

Cpb282

Reaction score

I should add that the reason for “semi” retirement is to combat boredom. And that I refuse to acknowledge what we paid for our 2,400 sf house.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yep - east TN tri-cities area, and I have seen prices increasing. Unfortunately it is not yet time. While not as many NYers, we might be a novelty in a place like that, given our accents, yet not universally avoided as “one of those”.
My wife and I fell in love with Johnson City. There are some trendy spots in town, plus you are within "striking distance" of Boone and Asheville, NC, Knoxville and the mountain attractions in TN like Sevierville and Pigeon Forge (and going slightly NW, Bristol, TN) if you want to continue playing music.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I should add that the reason for “semi” retirement is to combat boredom. And that I refuse to acknowledge what we paid for our 2,400 sf house.
Gotcha - and I refuse to disclose what I sold my 1600 sq/ft place for in Tustin, CA that allowed me to cash out and move to FL :) The bassist in the jazz group in which I play still has a tiny place in Manhattan that is worth an insane amount. He and his wife are down here because of his mother-in-law who needs some help getting around. They are thinking of cashing out and making the move.

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was really hoping Musk or Branson weren't flakes and I could get a job cleaning toilets on one of their spaceships, or something for a free ticket to the first Mars colony. Looks like I'll have to settle for a W.VA. holler instead.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Florida, moved out to Colorado 16yrs ago... I am officially done with the snow and daydream often of retiring to the Keys. Fishing, margaritas, leathery sunburned skin... maybe someday

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was really hoping Musk or Branson weren't flakes and I could get a job cleaning toilets on one of their spaceships, or something for a free ticket to the first Mars colony. Looks like I'll have to settle for a W.VA. holler instead.
My wife and I have visited Sandstone, WV a number of times, and it is definitely in a holler. A friend with whom I grew up built a shack on the side of a hill overlooking a river that runs through the holler. Stunningly beautiful, but a hard - and frankly crude - life. On the other hand, Lewisburg up the road is a charming little town where I had one of the best meals in memory at the General Lewis Inn.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say ya where I'm at I have the best of West Virginia -in the distance on one side and a very long view- to NYC on the other. But don't tell nobody.
"we don't want you here" :D lol kidding.. "stay out" lol Hell I don't even know California exists.. and what's this Seattle thing is that a type of cow?
I'm about thirty-five miles from you, but my neighborhood and your town are worlds apart. ;) :D :)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the NC mountain town where my son goes to college. It has a popular bumper sticker:

Boone Sucks
Don't Move Here!

It's actually quite nice. Elevation: 3,333

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Southern mountain town where my son goes to college. It has a popular bumper sticker:

Boone Sucks
Don't Move Here!
Nobody mentioned moving there. It is near Johnson City, TN and worth checking out for music jobs, as well as day trips. Beautiful place, just like Blowing Rock, but too often fogged in and has a high cost of living.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I thought about moving to a completely different place was in 1977, when I quit my band and moved from Minnesota back to Southern California (where I was born and grew up). Right then and there I decided that I would never live anywhere else.

Now I'm retired and living on a fixed income. I own my home (small — 1059 sq.ft., but perfect for just me), have no mortgage payment and play drums every day. (My neighbors even tell me they enjoy hearing me play!) I spend my evenings working on and listening to music, watching old movies or putzing-around on the Internet. Right now it's 70°F outside, with bright sunshine and a slight breeze.

The grass doesn't get any greener than what's right outside my own front and back doors.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bronx, NY born and bred, now living just outside NYC. Only way I’m leaving is when I am taken. I have 4 grandsons ranging from 3 1/2 to 2 months old and watch 1 of them 3 times a week. My 90 year old dad is on dialysis which I take him to and from 3 times a week, plus doctor visits, MRI’s, etc. Yes, it is tiring at times. But I’m pretty fortunate at 60 years old to be useful serving others. And it far outweighs the 40 years I put in working for a living. The cold is here now, but it will go and when it’s hot? We all wish it was cooler. It’s human nature.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My plan is to retire in 2026 and move to Prince Edward County , Ontario from Newmarket ,Ontario . I have relatives here and there is excellent year round fishing ( my other passion) and wonderful wineries ( Marisa my Partner’s passion). Ideally we would like to get a lakefront property on one of the lakes in the area .

If Money was no object , I would be living in London England . My all time favourite place. I love the city and the Country .

Doof

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
....For context, in our area property/school taxes for a 2,400 sf house are in the $20k+ range. That goes a long way elsewhere. Especially over a 30 year period, assuming I survive from 55-85 years old.

It is nice to dream (and have goals) anyway . . .
$20K+ ?!?!?!? I would hope that would include your lawn cut every week, housekeeping services, free use of all city equipment and properties, and all kids are graduating with academic scholarships.

I guess it’s all relative, but that just took me by surprise. I had no idea residential taxes could reach that high on a decent sized home, unless you were on 20 acres of prime real estate. I pay 10% of that and gripe about it.