Anyone play a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple drum set?

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this kit everything I am hearing (from various online videos through headphones) and thinking it will do for me?

I don't think it will be a gigantic difference from what I have heard.. but that is a testament to both kits.. .. The Yamaha you will only gain one mm in thickness on both toms AND kick.., so it is not a huge jump but the inner ply I think does definitely have some effect.

If you can get a deal on the Yamaha, which I have seen frequently.. then I would do it just to do it... I am a fan of switching out kits.. trying different things.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree Yamaha could up their finish game, but they cover most of the popular bases and seemed to have always prioritized sound and build over variety when it comes to finishes.
I have the AHM in walnut, can’t go wrong with walnut and it happens to be one of my favorite finishes.

the drums are absolutely amazing and the claim of being musically dynamic isn’t just marketing hype.
The drums are very sensitive and responsive across the dynamic spectrum.
They are maple but with a different thing going on that is just unique and awesome. More bottom, more attack, plenty of warmth but with a bite to them. Its quite unique.

I stand behind my claim that I think these are a sleeper kit for Yamaha that will stand up over time and be sought after years later, like my maple customs are.
Sometimes it just takes time for them to gain that reputation and they had a lot going against them when introduced.

I believe they were the first line introduced from the China factory after the big separation from Sakae, so there was that going against them. Then there was the price which I remember everyone hammering them about. But compared to a 5000 dollar DW’s maple kit, they seemed reasonable although not with some exotic custom finish, and comparable to say a five piece Gretsch USA, which I also own.

The drums are modern for sure but build, sound, tone quality, playability (feel) is just one of the best on the market to me with really no comparable rival, because the of the hybrid factor. They just have a different thing, unique and works so well. Quite a step forward in drum and sound design.
View attachment 502747
Love this kit and finish! I have a 22/10/12/14/16" set on order and can't wait to receive them.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I know some members own the new Yamaha maples. I still own a Yamaha maple absolute and am keeping them. I’d feel comfortable buying the new AHM. At the same time, I can’t imagine them being any better than the Tama Starclassic maple to be honest. My gut is that you can’t wrong with either. I like the Yamaha hardware, but I often use a snare basket for the Tom stand
Thanks for that - the SCM has such a wide dynamic range I can make them project if I lay into them, but was hoping for a shell that can generate close to the quality fundamental but project a little better. From the sound of it I may not gain that much projection anyway as the bass and snare drums on the SCM are 7mm, so the kit has the 'ooomph' where it's needed.

Maybe I am trying to split hairs further than they should be split...

HowD from Marietta BTW!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that - the SCM has such a wide dynamic range I can make them project if I lay into them, but was hoping for a shell that can generate close to the quality fundamental but project a little better. From the sound of it I may not gain that much projection anyway as the bass and snare drums on the SCM are 7mm, so the kit has the 'ooomph' where it's needed.

Maybe I am trying to split hairs further than they should be split...

HowD from Marietta BTW!
In my experience, I’ve never had anyone say the drums aren’t loud enough or don’t project enough. I think you’re right though, most likely splitting hairs among two of the best well made instruments…

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I find the new line to have a bit more oomph in the lower frequentness-further" beef". The original lines might be considered purer in tone due to having lower low end. I am going to share this thread https://www.drumforum.org/threads/anyone-play-a-yamaha-gosloto-absolute-hybrid-maple-drum-set.161792/page-5 to my friends and relatives who want to know about that. The bearing edges are the sharpest I have ever seen on a barrel too, which would typically affect in a further head-centric sound, but not in this case.
Thanks for that - from what I have 'heard' so far they sound fabulous. I also prefer the hook lugs and how Yamaha uses air vents to modify tonal response vs. strange ply patterns, etc. It's really hard to beat either TAMA or Yamaha to be honest.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I'm a loyal Tama guy, from way back in the mid-80s, I own a 2020 STAR Maple, 2000's Starclassic Maple, and a 1987 Tama Superstar, all of which I LOVE. But I have to say, I played an Yamaha AHM backline kit at the Gallo Center in Modesto, CA back in 2019, and it was the single best sounding drum set I've ever touched with a drum stick. I've been playing for 43 years, and have played a LOT of great drums.

It was tuned absolutely perfectly, had brand new heads on it, and it sounded so great that, during set-up, the bandleader stopped what he was doing and said "Wow, those sound amazing!". He had never commented on the sound of any other kit, including mine (which sound great, too). And then they miked them with Earthworks mics. My in-ear mix was just amazing. I was extremely impressed.

Here's my Facebook post from that day:
"Last night, Brandon (bpaluzzi) asked, "How's the backline?" You always hope for the best, but you never know until you get to the gig. Huge exhale as I walked into this amazing venue and discovered a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple 22/10/12/16 and 14" snare, with brand new coated Ambassadors all around. To top it off, my favorite mics in the world, Earthworks SR25 on overheads, and DM20 on the snare and rack toms with Telefunken on the kick and floor tom. These drums sound absolutely (no pun intended) amazing and the mics are capturing it perfectly! Truly inspiring to play this kit. Venue is spectacular, 45 minutes to downbeat!"

View attachment 489337
I too am a 35+ year player, own and love my Tama Starclassic Maple kit. I am thinking the AHM will sound similar but with better projection? Looking for something for live, un-amplified situations that will carry a little bit better. The bearing edge design, center core of wenge and 6mm TT / 8mm bass drum sure sounds like a resonant kit that would project?

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I don't think it will be a gigantic difference from what I have heard.. but that is a testament to both kits.. .. The Yamaha you will only gain one mm in thickness on both toms AND kick.., so it is not a huge jump but the inner ply I think does definitely have some effect.

If you can get a deal on the Yamaha, which I have seen frequently.. then I would do it just to do it... I am a fan of switching out kits.. trying different things.
Thinking of adding, not switching. I don't think I could part with the SCM, but the AHM shell design looks very solid. I am going to take a PTO day and find the closest dealer that has one in stock - less than 2 minutes to tune a tom and I will have my own answer. I think I will be pleased. :cool:

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
Thinking of adding, not switching. I don't think I could part with the SCM, but the AHM shell design looks very solid. I am going to take a PTO day and find the closest dealer that has one in stock - less than 2 minutes to tune a tom and I will have my own answer. I think I will be pleased. :cool:
Thanks for the replies all - I have found this forum to have a more mature and musically literate bunch - several with very impressive backgrounds. Nice change from the usual gear arguments and heavy metal threads.

jmele2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I missed this thread the first time through. I have been a Yamaha guy since 1996 and have owned a few sets of theirs including MIJ Recording Customs (sold long ago), 1980's Tour Customs (almost all sold), 1990's Maple customs (10, 12, 14 18 4x14SD), and now a shell bank of AHM drums (10, 12, 14, 16, 16x20, and 14x22 plus 6x14 SD) I think these drums sound amazing live and recorded. The 22" BD in particular has an astounding amount of low end. That drum mostly lives in my studio. When I need a "larger" bass drum, the 16x20 covers just about everything, plus it fits in my car more easily...

Most of what I play is acoustic/jazz oriented, but I do play some studio and/or rock/pop/singer-songwriter stuff that requires a more modern tone. These drums deliver that in spades.

I own another set of AHM in bop sizes that live at my MIL's house. Coated G1s all around, tuned up they sound amazing!

Lately I've been on a vintage Yamaha kick, so I now have a few sets of late 1960s sets that I love the sound of as well...

Here's a video of my AHM recorded in studio:

Here's a video of my beloved Tour Customs:

drums1225

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too am a 35+ year player, own and love my Tama Starclassic Maple kit. I am thinking the AHM will sound similar but with better projection? Looking for something for live, un-amplified situations that will carry a little bit better. The bearing edge design, center core of wenge and 6mm TT / 8mm bass drum sure sounds like a resonant kit that would project?

I don't imagine that they would project noticeably (if at all) more than Starclassic Maples. Personally, I feel that shell material has far less impact on the sound of a drum than head choice, tuning, and the player. If you want them to project without mics, hit 'em harder! Seriously, though, if your Starclassic Maples aren't projecting enough acoustically (I've never had that problem), mic those babies up!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local drum shop’s owner told me today he put an order for his first new drum set in many years. It was the Hybrid Maple kit. This guy has access to everything yet he put his money on this kit. They’re that good. Peaked my interest. I’m sure he got them for a great price.
Maybe it's time you broke down and bought a new kit.

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I don't imagine that they would project noticeably (if at all) more than Starclassic Maples. Personally, I feel that shell material has far less impact on the sound of a drum than head choice, tuning, and the player. If you want them to project without mics, hit 'em harder! Seriously, though, if your Starclassic Maples aren't projecting enough acoustically (I've never had that problem), mic those babies up!
Thanks for that feedback from someone with SCM experience. Wow what an amazing sound that kit creates. Sometimes I think to myself...the kit or the wife...hmmm........just kidding!!

Rivot

Reaction score
I don't have a set of AHMs i do have the snare in silver sparkle and I can say its a killer snare plenty of presence.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time you broke down and bought a new kit.
Ha! Long time ago my friend. Here’s my pile of AHM’s in polar white in which a 20x16 and a 24x14 are not in the picture. I’ve since received them…
6EDFCDE7-CBF3-429C-98B5-FE6A4464EA1A.jpeg

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I guess I missed this thread the first time through. I have been a Yamaha guy since 1996 and have owned a few sets of theirs including MIJ Recording Customs (sold long ago), 1980's Tour Customs (almost all sold), 1990's Maple customs (10, 12, 14 18 4x14SD), and now a shell bank of AHM drums (10, 12, 14, 16, 16x20, and 14x22 plus 6x14 SD) I think these drums sound amazing live and recorded. The 22" BD in particular has an astounding amount of low end. That drum mostly lives in my studio. When I need a "larger" bass drum, the 16x20 covers just about everything, plus it fits in my car more easily...

Most of what I play is acoustic/jazz oriented, but I do play some studio and/or rock/pop/singer-songwriter stuff that requires a more modern tone. These drums deliver that in spades.

I own another set of AHM in bop sizes that live at my MIL's house. Coated G1s all around, tuned up they sound amazing!

Lately I've been on a vintage Yamaha kick, so I now have a few sets of late 1960s sets that I love the sound of as well...

Here's a video of my AHM recorded in studio:

Here's a video of my beloved Tour Customs:

Jmele2 - EXCELLENT studio recording clip of the AHM. You just sold that kit and you don't even work for Yamaha (or do you?)!

You have captured the sound of the 12" and floor toms better than other videos I have heard and the whole kit sounds stunning. Sounds full and resonant like my Starclassic Maple but with a little more body and clarity of sound.

I realize as I am getting older (not because my hearing is shot - always protected that over 35 years of playing) I am more drawn to drums that speak very clearly. The SCM has that deep, forever resonance and sustain, but the Yamaha seems to speak a little more clearly with a bit more projection.

Clearly I need both!

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have captured the sound of the 12" and floor toms better than other videos I have heard and the whole kit sounds stunning. Sounds full and resonant like my Starclassic Maple but with a little more body and clarity of sound.

Check it out.. first half of vid is not processed

Drumprof

Reaction score
Jmele2 - EXCELLENT studio recording clip of the AHM. You just sold that kit and you don't even work for Yamaha (or do you?)!

I realize as I am getting older (not because my hearing is shot - always protected that over 35 years of playing) I am more drawn to drums that speak very clearly. The SCM has that deep, forever resonance and sustain, but the Yamaha seems to speak a little more clearly with a bit more projection.

Clearly I need both!
I’m afraid I will end up with both also.
The AHM’s are fantastic, the SCM are equally awesome. I was a bit worried about having two very similar high end maple kits but I’ll get over that

Drummer69BB

Reaction score
I’m afraid I will end up with both also.
The AHM’s are fantastic, the SCM are equally awesome. I was a bit worried about having two very similar high end maple kits but I’ll get over that
Plus the fundamental will probably be a little higher, SCM has F.A.S.T. - Yamaha will have traditional depth toms. One deep resonant kit for rock and another clear, punchy kit for jazz / funk.

Look at it this way - it has been my main passion in life and I don't spend money on really anything else - but I am going to have nice professional quality gear for recording and performance.