Anyone play Bosphorus anymore?

duanedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I LOVE Bosphorus cymbals!!! I have been playing/endorsing these cymbals since 2007.
Once your ear gets exposed to their sound, nothing sounds as good.
Here's a few of my collection.

photo(153).JPG

They are very popular in Mexico, all over South America and in many European countries.

Blackdog

Reaction score
I have quite a few Bos,
New Orleans Hats, and a couple of crashed from the same series (never did get the matching ride though)
My main gigging ride (for all sorts of genres) is a Bos unlathed, but highly polished, Gold. Works in all situations if I change sticks 7's with nylon tips to 2b's wood tips. Never thought it would do all that. I got them for rock stuff and have kept them in the bag ever since.
A set of 15" trad hats and a couple of traditional crashes, and a 10" splash
A 24" prototype ride (this one does my head in... that is sometimes fantastic, sometimes overwhelmingly washy.. don't know why or when it good/bad.. maybe sometimes I'm fooling myself that it's good or maybe sometimes I'm just not controlling it well enough.. who knows)
Have a flat and a set of hats (Turks). Don't pull these out very often though.
Also have a set of flat hats (so no bell on the bottom and 4 holes). This was an old line they used to make and when I visited they made me some new ones. These are great for low volume and I lend them to a friend whenever he is recording.

CeeJay

Reaction score
zenstat said:
I easily sell 100 to 1 bos vs zildjian and sabian
I read this your sentence as

For every single zildjian or sabian I sell, I sell 100 bos.

Did you perhaps mean it the other way around? I'd expect bos to have more like 1% of the turnover of zildjian + sabian.
Yeah I was confused by that as well Zen, and was about to ask the same question.
I can't imagine any company actually outselling Zildjian or Sabian 100-1, especially the boutique Turkish brands.

River

Reaction score
duanedrum said:
I LOVE Bosphorus cymbals!!! I have been playing/endorsing these cymbals since 2007.

photo(153).JPG

They are very popular in Mexico, all over South America and in many European countries.
What do you think of that Samba ride of yours? How does it compare to the Black Pearl?

wcbrown

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 12" Traditional Splash, 17" Traditional Crash and a 21" New Orleans ride. I absolutely love these cymbals, as far as purchashing anything new, I am completely satisfied, but if I were in the market there would be no doubt I'd go Bosphorus.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me they have better stick feel compared to other turkish brands. I played some Agops and Mehmets before and cannot imagine to sell my current 22 Wide Ride. Those guys really know what they are doing.

D

dmacc

I own more Bosphorus than anything. I'd easily sell all my Paiste and Agop (though much more reluctantly) than my Bosphorus.

I have a full set of New Orleans, full set of Traditonals, full set of Grooves and a dabble of Antiques.

Used to have a full set of MV but a dear friend wanted them BADLY so I sold them to him.

duanedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
River said:

photo(153).JPG

What do you think of that Samba ride of yours? How does it compare to the Black Pearl?
I love the Samba Series. It is dryer and brighter than my Black Pearl. I really like the Black Pearl series as well. :D

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Mine are not brand new; they're from the early 2000's--a 19" Masters crash ride and a 17" Traditional crash. Both are really thin, and it's wonderful to see the edges "wobble" just like the thin old K's. They also sound exactly like old K's, and they have the flatter profile and the thin bells like old K's. I'll never part with them.

I know Bosphorous has lost some business to Crescent and some of the other newer brands.

I do check on Cymbalsonly.com sometimes, and he still has a lot of them. I hope the company is doing well..

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
mc437 said:
Did Jeff Hamilton and Stanton Moore leaving put a proverbial nail in the Bosphorus coffin?
Don't know why those guys left the company, but I'm sure it has something to with either money or business politics, or better endorsement deals. Too bad.

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
I have a 17" Bosphorus Antique Crash and I'll say this as testimony...it's the only non-Zildjian cymbal I own. I love its sound.

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
zenstat said:
How do I date when mine are from?
Just post pics. I've got a series of the ink changes over time, although they aren't all dated to an exact year. If the ink is gone then you can't really tell unless they represent a model which had a very restricted timeframe. The earliest ones I know of are really neat and based around a tenor clef.
Cool, thanks. That's what I'll do. I don't think they're particularly old, but I also don't think they're brand new.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
mc437 said:
How do I date when mine are from?
Just post pics. I've got a series of the ink changes over time, although they aren't all dated to an exact year. If the ink is gone then you can't really tell unless they represent a model which had a very restricted timeframe. The earliest ones I know of are really neat and based around a tenor clef.
Cool, thanks. That's what I'll do. I don't think they're particularly old, but I also don't think they're brand new.

Join the Bosphorus Owners Club facebook group and ask there. At least one of their Cymbal smiths is quite active (Ibrahim Yakici)
All of the guys owning Bosphorus cymbals - you're warmly welcome!

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
rondrums51 said:
Did Jeff Hamilton and Stanton Moore leaving put a proverbial nail in the Bosphorus coffin?
Don't know why those guys left the company, but I'm sure it has something to with either money or business politics, or better endorsement deals. Too bad.
I guess there were supply problems with Bosphorus at the time. Small operation, big American market. The guy who brought most(?) of the Bos cymbals into the US switched to the Crescent thing, with many of the artists. I wonder if the US distributor simply tried to overextend what the factory was capable of producing. I think the Guitar Center conglomerate was selling them at some point?

Cymbals Only seems to maintain a good stock, so I'm thinking the company is plenty healthy! :)

-Ryan

D

dmacc

RyanR said:
Cymbals Only seems to maintain a good stock, so I'm thinking the company is plenty healthy! :)

-Ryan
Indeed, it's healthy and Tony @ CymbalsOnly is one of the best sources for Bosphorus.

jb78

Reaction score
I hadn't realized until this thread that Michael Vosbein, some of the key drummers, etc. had shifted to Crescent/Sabian. Given how much I dig the older Bosphorus cymbals, it makes me wonder (1) if the newer ones have seen a reduction in quality without Vosbein and co in charge, and (2) if I should check out Crescent.

duanedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
jb78 said:
I hadn't realized until this thread that Michael Vosbein, some of the key drummers, etc. had shifted to Crescent/Sabian. Given how much I dig the older Bosphorus cymbals, it makes me wonder (1) if the newer ones have seen a reduction in quality without Vosbein and co in charge, and (2) if I should check out Crescent.
I don't believe that it's fair to say that Vosbein and co. were ever in charge of Bosphorus' production of cymbals.

There has been NO reduction in quality since the change in US distribution.

To my ears, Bosphorus cymbals sound the way I want my cymbals to sound :)