header.nohb.html

Anyone Play(ed) 12” hats!?

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Any specific application? I mean you can play a lighter 14” or 13” to be quieter and lower pitched. What’s the need for 12”s?
12s have less low end which saves my bacon at certain local tiny venues that are massively bassy--so bassy that an unmiked shelless kick tuned slack sounds like an actual drum.

T-2

Reaction score
I have a pair of 12" A hats, maybe from the '70's, they're wonderful, but I mostly play 14's. You can see/hear Bobby Durham playing 12" hats with Oscar Peterson and others on YT. Tony Inzalaco played 12" hats too.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dennis Chambers used them. I think he used special recording zildjian hats. He might’ve even used two bottom hats because I know he likes to do that

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I'm playing a 12" Sabian Evolution over a slightly under 12" late 50's K on this clip. The Evo is pretty sloshy & dark & warms things up a bit.
PS: What you can't see in the dark is a cajon for bass drum, 12x8 (Powertone) & 14x10 (XP8) Rogers toms & a 1920's 15" Ludwig Universal snare

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't remember if I've had any, apart from self matched pair of splashes and bells. But lately I've been using all my willpower not to order these. To me those sound perfect and the price is really tempting too.
But I already have 3 pairs from him, so I try to stay in control. Lol.

Last edited:

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of 12" old Italian Uzuiriopes that I use a lot, especially for trio work. They are on both of the Dave Bass trio CDs. They are fairly heavy, but still have a fairly dark sound.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
VFX hats are spectacular and special - the sound of the top hat sends shivers down my spine. (Unfortunately Sabian don't do B8 cymbals in their custom shop - you must hunt for them.) I use mine at home for my own enjoyment, though I can foresee possible future use performing with an EDM DJ.

For gigging I've mostly used 10s - Masterwork Naturals - in a soft rock covers band. Nice and quiet. Also used 9" Sabian Radia for an ultra clean perky sound, in the same band.

You're the man!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a set of Agop 30th anniversary 12". Absolutely love them for modern drum-machine influenced stuff.

A few examples:

You sound great! I love the sounds!

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't remember if I've had any, apart from self matched pair of splashes and bells. But lately I've been using all my willpower not to order these. To me those sound perfect and the price is really tempting too.

First thought it’s a vintage Zildjian

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm playing a 12" Sabian Evolution over a slightly under 12" late 50's K on this clip. The Evo is pretty sloshy & dark & warms things up a bit.
PS: What you can't see in the dark is a cajon for bass drum, 12x8 (Powertone) & 14x10 (XP8) Rogers toms & a 1920's 15" Ludwig Universal snare
That was spectacular !!!!

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
They are a bit one dimensional in my experience but I’ve enjoyed them in a jungle kit context - piccolo snare, timbolitos, etc.

Pink69

Reaction score
Funkypoodle, you and your band sound really killer! Your vocalist has a great voice. Enjoyed the clip.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score

I caved in and bought these. Damn it. Lol.

CigarScott

Reaction score
My main hats are 12" Paiste Signature Heavy Hats, love them. I always loved Mark Zonder's hi-hat sound which these mimic.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried a pair of 12" New Beats and was shocked at how much I liked them.
I was expecting to not like them at all.

They sounded exactly what you would think little New Beats would sound like.
Instantly recognizable.

Foolishly, I didn't buy them.
The store I tried them at is out of business, and I'm not sure another pair would sound as good.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would be playing 12” hats if they were easier and cheaper to find used than 14”s. I was never a fan of bigger hats, but decided on 14”s anyway just because they’re more “universal.”