anyone played w/ an Alesis Strike Multipad?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
how does it compare w/the Yamaha and Roland?...Seems like the same price points

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the Alesis Strike MultiPad the day after Black Friday. This was to upgrade my old Roland SPD-6. I have not played either of the "newer" Roland or Yamaha pads so I really can't compare them. I went with the Alesis as it's newer technology as I know the Roland SPD-X has been around quite awhile now with no updates, etc.

I mainly use the pad as an alternative to using a kit on small gigs and it works great in that fashion. The sounds are great with lots of sound options (effects, eq, etc.)

Lawdawg

Reaction score
I've played it and think it's GREAT! I'm a big fan of Roland Products but I don't own a Roland SPD, so I wouldn't be able to say which is better but I do know that the Alesis Strike Multipad ROCKS!

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Alesis pad for a few months now on about 20 or so gigs and works flawlessly.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't know they had a new big unit. I have a small Samplepad 4 and that one works fine. I imagine it must have new technology since it's priced at the same price point as Yamaha & Roland. Usually Alesis is categorized in a lower class vs the others and it's priced accordingly but maybe this kicks them up a notch. I just don't know about paying $699, that's pretty steep considering the Yamaha Multipad is $599 and it has 12 pads. Traditionally Yamaha and Roland have been rock solid and Alesis sometimes has been questionable in the durability department; cross trigerring etc.. This Alesis seems nice though. I'm gonna look more into it and follow up on the long term reviews as time goes by. I like it!

Reactions: dtk

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I've been reading around to get some info on this thing. My biggest gripe like I mentioned is that Alesis has typically always been subpar in terms of reliability. I bought my samplepad 4 because it's compact for my kit (I have it in between my 8" tom and my snare connected to a Gibraltar arm) and because it's cheap. It's under $200. It gives me sufficient extra effects sounds in my playing and it has a port for a trigger that I have hooked up to my aux snare. So for me it's perfect but then again I don't gig. I think using it all the time, it probably wouldn't hold up. It's not pro level equipment. But it really has not given me the negative issues that I've read about. Maybe I got a late model one or something in which known issues have been fixed by Alesis, who knows! How does this translate to the Strike multipad? I have read people already complaning of cross trigerring which is an issue that has always plagued Alesis. I read of one guy that returned it after 1 week of use. Alesis from what I recall uses some foam under the pads that unglues and then it all goes to hell from there. If this is happening with the Multipad, that means they are using the same build methods for these units. I would be really pissed to buy a supposedly pro level piece of gear at $699 and have this happen. I would return it just like that guy did and get my money back. I hope this is not the case and it's maybe just 1 guy with a defective unit. Problem I have is that if you read about Roland & Yamaha, they are always defect free. Their design and QC is top notch. For you to try to compete and be in this price range, you have to offer something that is of that level of quality. I think it's a shame because I actually like the Alesis stuff better than the others. The look of the equipment is pretty, the menus are easier to use and to me the sounds are better. My nephew has a cheap Alesis electronic kit and the sounds are better than Roland kits that cost 4 times as much. I really want one to replace my Samplepad 4. The things it does are amazing and I think would open up another world of creativity. As of right now though I'm gonna sit on the fence with this one and wait. I will see in 6 months what the follow up reviews say in terms of reliability. Maybe it will even be down to like $599 by then which I think is the right pricepoint anyways and maybe then I will get one.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had no issues with mine and I'm using it (on some gigs) as the whole drum kit for a typical 3 hour club gig.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Stick with the SPD series.

Every Alesis pad I've owned has fallen apart, died, or had such horrible cross-talk and double triggering, it was literally un-usable on stage.

You are 100% correct - they are cheaply made, and not for sustained long (or even medium) term use in any sort of critical or live-stage situation.

Hard Pass. Save your money for the Roland or Yamaha units - that are actually pro-grade. Except for Roland's infamous plastic 1/4" insert jacks, which I still cannot explain to this day why a $900 unit has crappy plastic 1/4" jacks that go bad after a year or two. But that's fixable, and the unit is worth it.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stick with the SPD series.

Every Alesis pad I've owned has fallen apart, died, or had such horrible cross-talk and double triggering, it was literally un-usable on stage.

You are 100% correct - they are cheaply made, and not for sustained long (or even medium) term use in any sort of critical or live-stage situation.

Hard Pass. Save your money for the Roland or Yamaha units - that are actually pro-grade. Except for Roland's infamous plastic 1/4" insert jacks, which I still cannot explain to this day why a $900 unit has crappy plastic 1/4" jacks that go bad after a year or two. But that's fixable, and the unit is worth it.
Well I might give it the benefit of the doubt eventually after I see some more long term reviews in the future. It definitely seems to have what nobody else offers right now. Alesis claims it's pro level so maybe they have finally built something to those standards. We shall see!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Irod1707-I have the big Sample Pad Pro...haven't gigged it. I have a small cross talk issue. My biggest complaint is the time to load a new kit. In once case it takes over 1 minute and that's just two samples.

My understanding is that w/the Roland you 1) can create loops using the samples you have 2) you can assign a few loops two different pads and assign the pads to a group so when you trigger the 2nd one the 1st goes off and 3) I think it has a way to put different loops into the same BPM. I can't find any of that info on Alesis.

I do like the alesis tempo lights and I can see how the assignable lights could be nice...but yes...Alesis quality is questionable.

I will say I remember having to repair my 1st generation Octapad on a 3 day gig on Martha's vineyard..(extension pad jack wiring issue)...can't remember why our trumpet player had a soldiering iron with him...but was glad he did.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Irod1707-I have the big Sample Pad Pro...haven't gigged it. I have a small cross talk issue. My biggest complaint is the time to load a new kit. In once case it takes over 1 minute and that's just two samples.

My understanding is that w/the Roland you 1) can create loops using the samples you have 2) you can assign a few loops two different pads and assign the pads to a group so when you trigger the 2nd one the 1st goes off and 3) I think it has a way to put different loops into the same BPM. I can't find any of that info on Alesis.

I do like the alesis tempo lights and I can see how the assignable lights could be nice...but yes...Alesis quality is questionable.

I will say I remember having to repair my 1st generation Octapad on a 3 day gig on Martha's vineyard..(extension pad jack wiring issue)...can't remember why our trumpet player had a soldiering iron with him...but was glad he did.
That's the problem, you should have zero crosstalk issues and they don't address it which is the worse part. Instead of permanently fixing the issue, they just send people another unit under warranty that has the same problems. I read a post of a guy that had yours and he sent it back twice and then got fed up and got his money back. The samplepad 4 is the little version of yours and it has the same issues (not mine, knock on wood) but it does take long to load. About the looping, I don't know. Maybe a multipad owner can chime in on that. The thing is that I have compared Roland, Yamaha & Alesis in store and the Alesis units are overall nicer (aesthetically) and to my ears the sounds are just better. But I guess they are not up to par in the reliability department. I'm not in a rush so like I said, I'm gonna give it some time. If in the end, it meets pro level as Alesis claims, then I will buy it.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Irod1707...yes...I'm also in no rush. I downloaded the owner's manual last night which should help me learn more about what it can do. I'm in no rush either. Only one of my projects 'might' want to use it at gigs (the sample pad) so there is no reason rush. I'll probably buy Ableton 1st (which comes with the new Alesis but a cheaper version).

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Irod1707...yes...I'm also in no rush. I downloaded the owner's manual last night which should help me learn more about what it can do. I'm in no rush either. Only one of my projects 'might' want to use it at gigs (the sample pad) so there is no reason rush. I'll probably buy Ableton 1st (which comes with the new Alesis but a cheaper version).
Cool that's a good idea. I do that as well when I plan on buying something. By the time I get it, I know how to use it. Problem is that sometimes it over motivates me and makes me go out and buy it earlier than expected Lol! I'd like to see how limited that Alesis version of Ableton is. I guess I will find out the day I buy the machine.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Well I might give it the benefit of the doubt eventually after I see some more long term reviews in the future. It definitely seems to have what nobody else offers right now. Alesis claims it's pro level so maybe they have finally built something to those standards. We shall see!
At that price, and with my repeated experience with Alesis e-drums? They can "claim" that it's pro-level all they want. But they won't get the benefit of the doubt from me, because I've already given them a chance with two different units, and both were utter crap. To date, they have not been able to successfully create a multi-pad with any sort of durability or accurate triggering (crosstalk). If I'm gonna spend $7-900 on a drum sampler, it's going to be something proven reliable and durable, and stage-worthy like the Roland or Yamaha units. Who cares what the sound banks are like, if you can't get the thing to trigger correctly, or it takes half an hour to load a freakin' kit. Useless, IMO.

I don't see any Alesis e-drums on a big stage. I see lots of Roland and Yamaha electronics. That should tell you something....

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At that price, and with my repeated experience with Alesis e-drums? They can "claim" that it's pro-level all they want. But they won't get the benefit of the doubt from me, because I've already given them a chance with two different units, and both were utter crap. To date, they have not been able to successfully create a multi-pad with any sort of durability or accurate triggering (crosstalk). If I'm gonna spend $7-900 on a drum sampler, it's going to be something proven reliable and durable, and stage-worthy like the Roland or Yamaha units. Who cares what the sound banks are like, if you can't get the thing to trigger correctly, or it takes half an hour to load a freakin' kit. Useless, IMO.

I don't see any Alesis e-drums on a big stage. I see lots of Roland and Yamaha electronics. That should tell you something....
Yep that's true. Same experience with me (and many others). But maybe, just maybe they might of done it with this one. I can only hope! They have to start somewhere. But you are right, no issues with Roland or Yamaha. Their products have been rock solid since they came to market. It didn't take them years to get to that level. My big issue with the Alesis since I first saw it is the price. It's very bold of them to venture into Roland/Yamaha territory without a proven product. They should have priced it less but they didn't. Seems like they are operating in the "my product is expensive so it has to be good" mentality. Again though I like it, I'm just afraid of the build quality. I shall wait and see!

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. Everything they've put out to date, has been bunk. If they plan on winning over 1) new customers or 2) previous customers who've been turned off due to shoddy products, then they need to price it aggressively. And they haven't - which indicates to me, a certain lack of self-awareness and their brand reputation.

Because really, the argument always comes down to "hmmmm I can get a Roland, Yamaha, or this new Alesis unit for roughly the same price. Every Roland or Yamaha unit I've owned has been great. Alesis is a POS, and has never really put out anything worth this kind of money. I'll take the SPD-sx, please" Done.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly. Everything they've put out to date, has been bunk. If they plan on winning over 1) new customers or 2) previous customers who've been turned off due to shoddy products, then they need to price it aggressively. And they haven't - which indicates to me, a certain lack of self-awareness and their brand reputation.

Because really, the argument always comes down to "hmmmm I can get a Roland, Yamaha, or this new Alesis unit for roughly the same price. Every Roland or Yamaha unit I've owned has been great. Alesis is a POS, and has never really put out anything worth this kind of money. I'll take the SPD-sx, please" Done.
I can't agree more!

Latest posts