Anyone playing 8", 12", and 15" toms?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After playing with these toms for months, I finally figured out how to tune them so they sound optimal.

All in somewhat low tunings/octave for the surf/psych project I'm working on.
Anybody ever tried this combo?

8" - D#
12" - C
15" - G#

If not, what works for you?

Attachments

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I’m 2/3 in! 12/15, just missed... I usually tune them around G/C respectively too, it’s a nice deep sound,
For a spread with a surf factor, 8/12/15 sounds like it’d be freakin awesome. Really like how you fit the 8” in too - It’s cool how you kept the 3 piece layout but still have the extra sound going on. I’m stealin that. Now I want to hear them! Anything we can listen to?

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine is closer to a traditional: 12 / 13 / 15 which I tune (both batter and reso) C / G / C
65Lud-2.JPG

The 15 is a converted parade snare...it sounds awsome!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm also 2/3 in! I have a beautiful Rogers Headliner kit with 12/16 toms. I turned a 12x15 Rogers marching tenor drum into a floor tom and love the 12/15 combination. I just tune them to what sounds good!

-Mark

Attachments

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’m a huge 12/15 fan. I could see adding an 8, I’ll have to try it! I do have other small percussion that fills a similar role.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oooh!
Sweet. 22" bass?

I'm currently building a floor tom out of a 12x17 drum. How do you tune it?
yes, 22'' bass. 8x12, 10x15, 12x17 toms. the 17'' is 3-ply mahogany/poplar with cob hoops (as are the 15 and 12), so it likes to do warm and tubby. that's fine with me. coated emperor on top with a 50's translucent emperor (that i think has been there forever) on the bottom. this drum has a lively shell, so usually 1 or 2 moon gels. my homemade cradles really let the drums breath.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After playing with these toms for months, I finally figured out how to tune them so they sound optimal.

All in somewhat low tunings/octave for the surf/psych project I'm working on.
Anybody ever tried this combo?

8" - D#
12" - C
15" - G#

If not, what works for you?
I like the setup, I'm putting together a 10, 14 w/18 bass for tight places now.
10 - C
14 - F
as per the tune bot or I might go down to
10 - B
14 - E
if it works, LOL

sherm

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m 2/3 in! 12/15, just missed... I usually tune them around G/C respectively too, it’s a nice deep sound,
For a spread with a surf factor, 8/12/15 sounds like it’d be freakin awesome. Really like how you fit the 8” in too - It’s cool how you kept the 3 piece layout but still have the extra sound going on. I’m stealin that. Now I want to hear them! Anything we can listen to?
Yeah. It looks a little weird, but it was really just mainly empty space for me. I had to scooch the 15" over an inch or two, but it didn't amount to a noticable difference while playing.
I'm not super into mounting the 8" off of the cowbell hoop mount, but I can't find any other way to squeeze it in there.

I've been playing with two guitarists and we have been putting a demo together for a prospective bass player. We were recording drums (poorly) last night for it. I can post a link when that's done, but it won't sound very good, haha!

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a 15" Tama Superstar rack tom I used as a suspended floor and it sounded great. It paired well with a 10/12 rack tom along with my 18" floor.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Saw Thomas Lang playing no fewer than FOUR 8” toms today, sounded pretty cool, tuned sequentially. Kinda Phil Collins-y. Of course he had like 37 other drums, 7 pedals, and a bass drum with floor tom legs standing upright. Dudes crazy.