Anyone playing a more recent Gretsch Renown RN2 Drumset?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone playing a more recent Gretsch Renown RN2 Drumset? I am considering a 20,10,12,14FT kit.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Same as RN1 just different hoops. One of the best values in drums. Phenomenal construction for the price, especially close out sales. My fusion pack sounded incredible. The only reason I sold it was I had a NC w/ an 18 BD.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been a long time fan of the Purewood Renowns and as a long time Gretsch owner and player, I can say that these Renown drums are constructed with the same standards that the USA drums are. I generally prefer die cast hoops on these drums, but I have heard really good things about the RN2 drums with the heavy duty non-die cast hoops and that they really sing nicely.

R

RickP

My local shop had a kit in stock recently and they are well made , good sounding kits .

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personal opinion of course, but if I had a enough dough to buy a US Gretsch or a Renown, I would still buy the Renown and a bunch of good cymbals. To my ears, Renowns are as good as anything out there.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Murat said:
Personal opinion of course, but if I had a enough dough to buy a US Gretsch or a Renown, I would still buy the Renown and a bunch of good cymbals. To my ears, Renowns are as good as anything out there.
^^^YES!^^^

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
Especially tempting with packs including snare for < $1,500

Chances are I will buy either a Renown or Tour custom kit if I can unload my Zickos.

Some of the videos I watched [heard] featuring Renowns have been phenomenal.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that these drums aren't talked about more often here. I purchased a 22,16,12,10 shell pack in black lacquer finish from Drum Center of New Hampshire on Black Friday for about $1,000. There are so many things to like about them:

- First, they SOUND terrific. The combination of 7-ply maple shells, with 30-degree bearing edges, silver sealer interiors and 302 hoops. These drums REALLY SING....This is my first Gretsch kit and now I finally understand what they mean by That Great Gretsch Sound!!!!

- They LOOK incredible. The black lacquer finish is done extremely well and just looks classy offset against all that beautiful chrome.

- PERFORMANCE. Kick drum mounted toms and high quality memory locks!!! Manufacturers got away from that for a few years but for me it makes setup quick, easy, predictable, and consistent. Simple, effective kick drum spurs too! Simple, classy lugs as well. Oh and I haven't had to take a tuning key to them since I got them. I've never owned a kit that held their tuning as well these do.

- AFFORDABLE!!!! My shell pack normally sells for around $1300. Like I said I picked them up for $1000.

- VALUE!!! I think you could put these side-by-side with Recording Customs or Sakae and they would truly hold their own.

I don't want to say that this is the last kit that I'll ever own -- but I could be happy with them well into the foreseeable future. Now if I can just find an affordable 18" kick....I don't want to pay $619 for one!!!

EssKayKay

Reaction score
The Renown's look great, sound great, and don't break the bank. Just a question on finishes. Does anyone know why they discontinued the Satin White? There are numerous videos out there in this finish which looks amazing. This would have been my choice. It may have only been available with the older RN1 series - can't say though.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Renowns remind me of the Les Paul JR vs Les Paul classic debate .

Where are the new ones manufactured ?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whenever I stopped by a local Guitar Center to try to get in a little practice in, I always felt right at home sitting behind the Maple Renowns. To me, they were like crawling into a comfy bed. There were more expensive sets on the floor as well. Just felt at home with them.

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a backline RN2 with my big band recently. 12/14/18, fitted with clear Emperors, which wouldn't have been my choice, but it sounded great in the room and even better on the recording I've heard.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a new set of Maple Renowns yesterday in Natural Gloss!!! I'm very excited for them to arrive.

22, 16, 12, 10 and added a 14 floor tom for a 2 up /2 down config. I love the fact that they come from the factory with clear Emps on the tom's, rounded edge, etc.

I've wanted a Gretsch kit forever. Actually got a great deal from Sweetwater (they are not typically the cheapest but this time that's how it worked out and their service is excellent).

PS.... Someone please buy the stuff I have for sale!!! LOL

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hmmmn. My Renowns are from 2014. 10-12-14-18. Die cast rims. Bottom line, they sound better than any of my vintage Rogers, and are my go to drums, except for the 20 lug 6.5x14 snare, which doesn't hold a candle to any of my Rogers.