Anyone playing Ddrum?

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was originally thinking acoustic drums...but they were a big player in e drums too (what happened there?)...

I now own an RX Pedal (I like it) and a cymbal bag (I suspect made for them)...both are pretty decent. Saw a snare for sale recently...was curious what folks thought.

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on the series. Higher end stuff is decent. Had a DDrum bubinga kit that was well built. Paladin series pretty good too. Quality on early stuff was horrid-lugs popping off, rough finish work, etc. that is the main reason Crush drums was created by some guys who worked for Ddrum and were tired of the quality issues.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Clavia (Nord keyboards) used to make the ddrum electronics, but they became mostly obsolete when Roland introduced VDrums back in the early 2000s. Rather than put work in to improve the line, Clavia sold off the name ddrum to Armadillo Enterprises (Dean Guitars). They then used the name to introduce acoustic drums, and eventually low-cost electronics. The current ddrum electronics are NOTHING like the original ddrum modules -- they've become like Simmons: an important name in electronic drums that is now slapped in generic garbage.

The one exception to that are the ddrum triggers for acoustic drums. They're still the same design as they were when Clavia owned the company.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had many ddrum kits. Dominion maple x2, dominion ash, reflex. 2 hybrid birch with triggers And a dios. Loved everyone of them. The ones I had had the 20x20 kick drum. My favorite was the ash. But they all sounded great with or with out mics. I used clear emps or coated emps on batter and stick heads on the reso side kick drum was always a p3 and stick front head with center port.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had many ddrum kits. Dominion maple x2, dominion ash, reflex. 2 hybrid birch with triggers And a dios. Loved everyone of them. The ones I had had the 20x20 kick drum. My favorite was the ash. But they all sounded great with or with out mics. I used clear emps or coated emps on batter and stick heads on the reso side kick drum was always a p3 and stick front head with center port.
The only problem with me trying a 20x20 kick is I might like too much and then have to schlep it around at gigs (or at all). Or store it.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Reaction score
Does ddrum still have their USA Custom line, and if so, are they still made by Allegra?

spelman

Reaction score
Clavia (Nord keyboards) used to make the ddrum electronics, but they became mostly obsolete when Roland introduced VDrums back in the early 2000s. Rather than put work in to improve the line, Clavia sold off the name ddrum to Armadillo Enterprises (Dead Guitars). They then used the name to introduce acoustic drums, and eventually low-cost electornics. The current ddrum electronics are NOTHING like the original ddrum modules -- they've become like Simmons: an important name in electronic drums that is now slapped in generic garbage.

The one exception to that are the ddrum triggers for acoustic drums. They're still the same design as they were when Clavia owned the company.
They wanted to start fresh , I guess.
From Wikipedia:
The DrumIt Five is an electronic drum line produced by 2box, a Swedish company started by former employees of ddrum.

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard a band around 90-91 with a guy using a ddrum electronic kit at a live gig and it sounded great - much better than any other e-kit at the time.

From what I've heard over the last few years, 2box was started by former ddrum guys and reportedly has a good reputation in the e-drum world. Although they were initially making full kits (brain, pads, racks), I think they've stop making pads and hardware and are only making modules now. I could be wrong, but that's what I've heard. Maybe somebody in the DF electronic zone could verify, clarify or correct.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most of their acoustic stuff looks pretty nice..

I haven't heard about patterns of issues with this company since the early 2000's..

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Imho they messed up with the dominion line. Those drums were killer. Die cast hoops on all the drums. The lugs and spurs and meta parts were solid and then shells sounded great. The ones I had were lacquer glitter finishes. I would not hesitate to grab another one.

Reactions: dtk