Anyone playing Indian drums?

fenrir

Reaction score
I have a deep love affair with Carnatic, Hindustani, Dhrupad, folk music etc from the Indian subcontinent.
I play mridangam, tabla, jori, nagara, ghatam and kanjira (all at various levels of mediocrity!)
Anyone else on this journey?

jsp210

Reaction score
I play tabla and listen to tons of Indian classical and devotional music.

There was a school of Indian classical music where I used to live in Florida and I took lessons and attended many wonderful concerts during that period of about four years. When I moved away I regretfully abandoned tabla studies and practice over time but beginning last year, have reconnected with my teacher and have resumed tabla studies via Skype. He's whipping me back into shape and I feel truly blessed to have this music in my life.

fenrir

Reaction score
I highly recommend subscribing to the Darbar Player - a library of mind-blowing concerts shot in super HD. It's a few quid a month.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was thinking "Indian" drums was a name for a drum company.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I found a very cheap set of tabla but would like to learn how to play. Any online recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in central Oklahoma, so if anyone knows of teachers locally that also would be appreciated. I have always enjoyed tabla since the first "experience" of The Beatles on Within You Without You Sgt Peppers. I've since bought a few Ravi Shankar recordings, and have heard the Tabla Beat Science, as well as some other examples of Indian drumming on western style recordings. Gonna keep reading this topic!

Skeet6

Reaction score
I studied years ago, still have my tabla (very expensive pro set from India with import papers - the real deal). I learned more about "smoothing" time signatures than you would imagine -making the most complex patterns sound simple and easy to follow... I still play a little, and have recently wanted to restart study - my guru's son is now the main teacher as his father spends most time travelling.
Mike B

fenrir

Reaction score
If you can't find a teacher, there are numerous lessons on youtube, some better than others. The Indian rhythmic concept is so deep. It has had a big impact on my kit playing. I'm 'self-teaching' the way I've done everything else to this point but really need a teacher now to get to the next level. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost for something that is ostensibly a hobby - I'm not going to be gigging Indian classical music any time soon.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I feel that any work towards improvement is a step in the correct direction. Any time you try, progress is made. Sometimes comparison to others is just a distraction. That being said, I'll check out those youtube's and go from there! The journey is the thing, not a destination, of which are just in the mind.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a very cheap set of tabla but would like to learn how to play. Any online recommendations would be appreciated, I'm in central Oklahoma, so if anyone knows of teachers locally that also would be appreciated. I have always enjoyed tabla since the first "experience" of The Beatles on Within You Without You Sgt Peppers. I've since bought a few Ravi Shankar recordings, and have heard the Tabla Beat Science, as well as some other examples of Indian drumming on western style recordings. Gonna keep reading this topic!
I took a Tabla lesson from this guy many years back and he was very good. You might see if he is still around. https://www.edmondoutlook.com/archives/m.blog/27/my-outlook-justin-walke-traditional-tabla-drummer

Latest posts