Anyone playing Taye?

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw an ad in CL ...$250 for a 5 piece kit...basswood. Tour Pro
One of the bands I play with has a Taye kit ...but the owner has it all muffled for recording so hard to judge.

Just curious what thoughts and opinions were.

the 5pc kit...almost worth it for the hardware and maybe heads...but I think my custom drum purchase days are behind me

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Tour Pro line, but I did buy a used Studio Maple kit a few years ago. I thought it was a great value - nice light shells that sound great, very nice lacquer finish, good edges and impressed by the overall quality. I haven't kept up with pricing, but I know a local music shop has a five-piece Tour Pro for $575, so $250 sounds reasonable.

Russian Dragon

Reaction score
I bought a bunch of Taye Studio Maple drums about 15 (or so ?) years ago. I still have 12 or 15 pieces that I used to divide into a few different configurations, based on each gig's musical style. Like OttawaDrumGuy, I thought they were the best value at the time - about half the price of bigger name brands for comparable quality. That price to value ratio might have changed since then, since the drum market is quite different now, but I was always happy with the Tayes.
The one problem I had was cloudy finish (excess humidity while drying polyurethane, they told me, iirc?) on a few pieces, but those were quickly and painlessly replaced by Taye.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Studio Maple drums sound excellent , unfortunately the hardware is not up to the level of the shells . Knuckle cruncher Tom mount and the hihat stand and bass drum pedal are very mediocre .
The drums are well made and finished and they do sound excellent though .

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thin shelled TAYE/AYOTTE maple drums were as good as the best , but targeting a more budget minded pro market ( most ' full-time' drummers )

The ones you're considering are more or less on par with Yamaha Rydeen and have little to do with first generation TAYE's .

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of Taye Tour Pro sets, and the drums themselves are very nice. The Tour Pros were the next step down from the Studio Maples. The hardware is not. It might be okay if you don't set up and tear down a lot, like if you were using it as a rehearsal kit. Taye is not a custom drum company; they are another Asian manufacturer that was an OEM for a lot of the major drum companies before deciding to make things under their own name.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The thin shelled TAYE/AYOTTE maple drums were as good as the best , but targeting a more budget minded pro market ( most ' full-time' drummers )

The ones you're considering are more or less on par with Yamaha Rydeen and have little to do with first generation TAYE's .
The Tour Pro ARE (were) first generation thin shelled Taye/Ayotte drums. Pro or semi-pro level drums, not like Yamaha Rydeen.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bit OT, but are they around anymore?

I had trouble finding much of anything on new stuff when I was shopping for a kit last year.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Taye Go-Kit for some time and found it very practical, Didn't use the snare drum that came with it but liked that 5 drums could fit into two bags.

13645142_10207034545130069_7094079664379324713_n.jpg

I moved on to a more conventional bop kit last year. This pic shows just one mounted tom as I often left off the 10" ...

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not currently using, but I had a Taye Go Kit and still have a 14x7 mahogany/walnut Taye snare that I like quite a bit. Considering how ridiculously cheap they go for used, I’ve always thought Taye has to be one of the better bang-for-your-buck brands out there.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
A bit OT, but are they around anymore?

I had trouble finding much of anything on new stuff when I was shopping for a kit last year.
Not in the American market. I've written to a couple of listed dealers in the past and all have told me they stopped carrying Taye years ago.
Could still be going strong in other markets, though.

moneydog59

Reaction score
Just saw an ad in CL ...$250 for a 5 piece kit...basswood. Tour Pro
One of the bands I play with has a Taye kit ...but the owner has it all muffled for recording so hard to judge.

Just curious what thoughts and opinions were.

the 5pc kit...almost worth it for the hardware and maybe heads...but I think my custom drum purchase days are behind me

File under "it's a small world"....I think you're referring to the kit I have on CL, it's actually a Rock Pro, not the Tour Pro. I believe the shells are Poplar, not Basswood.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
If moneydog's selling then you must pass on them you MUST buy them! (sorry, just kidding ;) )
Those kits weren't too bad, from what I remember.

Elvis

LBCD

Reaction score
I love my Parasonic kit, high end quality control on these under the radar drums. I have owned a Maple studio too and they don't come close to these in the sound and feel dept.
drums0.jpg

18451484_209431786235899_4508552690307110642_o.jpg