Anyone playing the Craviotto Diamond series?

KillinBill66

Reaction score
I don't think many home drummers buy these at full price. Maybe the older retired drummers that long for the old days, but prefer modern hardware?

Yep, I don't think any of the Diamond kits listed at full price on Reverb have sold after a few months.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I could find a used set, would love to try. As time goes by, I’ve been more and more impressed. Initially I was meh. Problem is they’re so new and the players that grab them probably keep them so the used market is nonexistent.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a kit on order since September. Should be finished soon. I’ll report in once it’s in hand. Looking forward to it.
Looking forward to that review - hope you can do a video as well. The only stuff I've seen is of Steve Maxwell playing Diamond Series drums, tuned up at his usual bop-levels. I's love to hear them tuned down a bit, and also to have a closer look at those edges. I might head down to Nashville just to see for myself.

jhall

Reaction score
Looking forward to that review - hope you can do a video as well. The only stuff I've seen is of Steve Maxwell playing Diamond Series drums, tuned up at his usual bop-levels. I's love to hear them tuned down a bit, and also to have a closer look at those edges. I might head down to Nashville just to see for myself.
Cool, I’ll do my best. I’ll drive up to pick them up and then take some detailed photos.
I have a studio at my home and should be able to capture some video/audio.
I had a Studio King kit years ago, and loved them. I’m pretty sure they will sound just fine.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
Ive got one and love it. I’m used to Cravs so I was a intrigued when I sat down to play. Its not like a cheaper Craviotto but a great kit in its own right. What I find most amazing is it sounds killer low pitched or cranked up, it doesn’t seem to have just one sweet spot. The build quality of the shells is great and the bearing edge unique. Nice vintage vibe with the finishes and the stick saver hoops. The lugs too I really like as it’s a nod to Craviotto , I think they are called Marquis lugs.
Thats my input!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive got one and love it. I’m used to Cravs so I was a intrigued when I sat down to play. Its not like a cheaper Craviotto but a great kit in its own right. What I find most amazing is it sounds killer low pitched or cranked up, it doesn’t seem to have just one sweet spot. The build quality of the shells is great and the bearing edge unique. Nice vintage vibe with the finishes and the stick saver hoops. The lugs too I really like as it’s a nod to Craviotto , I think they are called Marquis lugs.
Thats my input!
Thanks for weighing in! Do you have pictures of your set?

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Nashville Slingerland shell formula seems to be a winner, especially since they basically make their own Radio King, too. I'm also all over the fact that the bass drums are in traditional sizes, rather than the beer can sizes of the original Nashville Slingerlands.
Price wise it's in line with other high-professional (as opposed to luxury items like the original Craviotti) kits. To me, the thrown-in Radio King snare makes it favourable over its competitions such as Ludwig Legacy or Tama Star.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in! Do you have pictures of your set?

E72958D1-8272-436C-927D-89357DE59243.jpeg

E72958D1-8272-436C-927D-89357DE59243.jpeg

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, GMFrancis. A couple of questions -
1. How would you describe the bearing edge? How is it unique?
2. Do the drums sound different than others you have owned, or are they pretty much the same as other maple-shelled kits you have owned or played?

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’ve used Gretsch for the most part over a long period so that’s where I’m coming from. I got my first kit back in the mid 70’s. I’ve also got a Craviotto maple kit which was why I was interested in the Diamond series. I first heard a Diamond kit and it was tuned very low and while that’s not my favourite tuning the drums sounded immense, really big and deep. I have mine tuned low mid (to my mind) and they sound very clear and punchy, theres a lot of clarity there.
I’ll send a photo of the bearing edge, it’s a very sharp edge, unlike anything I’ve seen before on a wood drum. I also believe the ply shells are configured in a different way, I think there’s a video with Sam Bacco explaining them. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 11EBF733-5234-43EF-BAEF-7C4A6CC5D6B9.jpeg
    11EBF733-5234-43EF-BAEF-7C4A6CC5D6B9.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 50