Anyone playing the Craviotto Diamond series?

digovii

Reaction score
I’ve used Gretsch for the most part over a long period so that’s where I’m coming from. I got my first kit back in the mid 70’s. I’ve also got a Craviotto maple kit which was why I was interested in the Diamond series. I first heard a Diamond kit and it was tuned very low and while that’s not my favourite tuning the drums sounded immense, really big and deep. I have mine tuned low mid (to my mind) and they sound very clear and punchy, theres a lot of clarity there.
I’ll send a photo of the bearing edge, it’s a very sharp edge, unlike anything I’ve seen before on a wood drum. I also believe the ply shells are configured in a different way, I think there’s a video with Sam Bacco explaining them. Hope this helps.
It kind of looks like Dunnett's straight shot-bearing edge just on a wood drum. Pretty neat.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Gretsch for the most part over a long period so that’s where I’m coming from. I got my first kit back in the mid 70’s. I’ve also got a Craviotto maple kit which was why I was interested in the Diamond series. I first heard a Diamond kit and it was tuned very low and while that’s not my favourite tuning the drums sounded immense, really big and deep. I have mine tuned low mid (to my mind) and they sound very clear and punchy, theres a lot of clarity there.
I’ll send a photo of the bearing edge, it’s a very sharp edge, unlike anything I’ve seen before on a wood drum. I also believe the ply shells are configured in a different way, I think there’s a video with Sam Bacco explaining them. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the photo and for your comments. The video Sam did was more promotional in nature than anything; he mentioned the layup and edges briefly, but didn't go into any detail, if I recall correctly. Hearing from someone who owns a kit is far more valuable to me. I'm really interested to hear a kit for myself; I might take a road trip to Nashville to find out for myself. looking forward to any other observations you might have. I'm all about anything Sam makes.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’ve got one of these Leedy reissues that Gretsch made in the mid 2000’s. I believe Sam Bacco was involved in this project, can you shed any light on it? It’s a great sounding drum.

Attachments

• F269A151-59F4-42CE-A89C-2833A70D91DB.jpeg
    F269A151-59F4-42CE-A89C-2833A70D91DB.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 14