Anyone rehearsing with Jamulus? I have one coming up Saturday.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I’m subbing with my old band and they rehearse using Jamulus. Any insights how how it will go?

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My quartet tried Jamulus and also Sonobus some months ago. The bassist and I had a couple of successful sessions together, but slow internet and hardware problems with the other two guys kept us from doing anything as a group.

The biggest problem, assuming everyone has good fast broadband, is distance. We all form a triangle about 40 miles on a side, and latency made playing together tough, especially trying to play jazz.

You need a good digital audio interface and a wired connection to your router. Wi-fi won't do it. Also, I strongly recommend testing functionality before trying to rehearse.

One of the interesting things about Jamulus is that you can join sessions going on around the world if you desire, and we often had people join us online with varying degrees of success. We actually had better success with Sonobus, but both have their positives. Good luck. Keep us informed.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can NEVER be tight live over distance. It is simply impossible to surmount physics. It is not (yet?, or ever?) possible to convey anything over distance without the corresponding time it takes to do so.
The only option is to swap tracks and add parts to be mixed later.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
You can NEVER be tight live over distance. It is simply impossible to surmount physics. It is not (yet?, or ever?) possible to convey anything over distance without the corresponding time it takes to do so.
The only option is to swap tracks and add parts to be mixed later.
Since this is a rehearsal for a sub gig, not possible. I offered my deck for this rehearsal and the leader passed. Too bad. Not looking forward to this from all that I’ve heard about how it doesn’t work well.

Swissward Flamtacles

Reaction score
Definitely don't use wifi. With a wired connection you might get down to 10ms ping if you're lucky-use a minimal set next to the router if you only have wifi in your drum room. Treat it like a conference where you discuss and play a few tricky parts together but don't expect establishing a deep pocket. There should always be somebody lagging behind.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We used JamKazam quite successfully to onboard a new lead singer and practice all our material during the pandemic. Direct connection to the router was a must, but it was surprisingly good and we did it for over a year!

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
I used it a couple of times with my band and it was a lag/stuttering festival no matter what server we've chosen.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, my first test was positive actually but it was just the guitarist/leader and me. He told his new bass player kept getting knocked off last night but he suspects he’s using wifi. A big no no. I’ll give everyone an update after Saturday.