Anyone renewed clear coat on wood lacquer finishes?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I would like to refresh the appearance of my Sonor S-Class Pro. It has some slight marks on its clear coat which are beyond polishing.

I have some knowledge concerning semi-professional paintjobs as part of classic car restoration but I have never done anything like that on wood.

Can I go wrong by carefully sanding the clear coat (starting maybe at 400 grid) and get two runs of car clear coat apllied? Professional equipment for this job is available.

Attachments

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Certainly, no problem. But you do need to know exactly what kind (formulation) of lacquer you will be top coating.

You also need to be certain that you have removed any oils, waxes or silicone from the finish to avoid getting fish-eye. I would usually add some fish eye preventer to the lacquer just in case.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Certainly, no problem. But you do need to know exactly what kind (formulation) of lacquer you will be top coating.

Thank you! I will try to get some information about that from Sonor. The production of the S-Class Pro might unfortunately fall into a period when solvent-based lacquer was prohibited for industrial users and replaced by water-based stuff. This would mean I`d have to strip all the clear coat down to the stained wood as I would like to have a more resistant solvent-based top coat.

You also need to be certain that you have removed any oils, waxes or silicone from the finish to avoid getting fish-eye. I would usually add some fish eye preventer to the lacquer just in case.

My usual method when painting cars included a generous application of silicone remover. I`ve never used fish eye preventer before but I`ll definitely give it a try!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Boomer already beat me to it! Yep, you have to know whats on it first so you be be assured the new product will not react with the original. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!