Anyone still collecting Ludwig serial number data?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had a guy on reverb give me some sh!t about me saying that a Ludwig set I had for sale wasn't from '76 as stated, but it was from early '78 "at best."
When I said I had a copy of the original sales receipt, he said, "Reciept or not the badges date the kit."

That's an actual quote.
I explained that those charts on reverb are not necessarily precise and showed him a copy of the original order receipt.
Of course, I never heard back from the guy. He probably would have been a problem buyer anyway...

So, the order was taken on 11/20/76, so the drums were likely (guessing) made in early '77.

The serial number on all 7 drums was 160xxxx. 7 digits beginning with 160. All had point badges.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An original order/receipt always trumps estimated serial number "guides." If a shell is not ink stamped, that's the next best thing. You're right that the potential buyer was probably a problem in the making.

In looking at Ludwigs in the 1966-1967 era recently, I'm sometimes running across drums where numbers would have been 50,000-100,000 "off" if you didn't have the ink stamps to confirm their dates of mfg. That equates to potentially 6-12 months difference.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are correct Rich, those online dates are wrong.
I bought my kit in 1976 and got it in Nov.1976 and my #' are 156XXXX

Wayne

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a guy on reverb give me some sh!t about me saying that a Ludwig set I had for sale wasn't from '76 as stated, but it was from early '78 "at best."
When I said I had a copy of the original sales receipt, he said, "Reciept or not the badges date the kit."

That's an actual quote.
I explained that those charts on reverb are not necessarily precise and showed him a copy of the original order receipt.
Of course, I never heard back from the guy. He probably would have been a problem buyer anyway...

So, the order was taken on 11/20/76, so the drums were likely (guessing) made in early '77.

The serial number on all 7 drums was 160xxxx. 7 digits beginning with 160. All had point badges.
Rich - I am still collecting information. It has been six years since my Ludwig Serial Number Based Dating Guide was published and the number of drums in my database has continued to grow. I will be working on a revision soon to add all of this information.

There are people all over the place on whether serial numbers are useful, helpful, definitive or worthless when dating drums. However, ignoring an original dated receipt defies logic. I have seen several for sale listings where people will report a date stamp (i.e.: 1966) and then claim that the serial number dates the drum to a different year (i.e.: 1967). Again, does not make much sense to me.

Rich - If you can forward me the information on your drums or a link to your Reverb listing, I would appreciate it. I did not find it in a quick search.

Last edited:

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich - I am still collecting information. It has been six years since my Ludwig Serial Number Based Dating Guide was published and the number of drums in my database has continued to grow. I will be working on a revision soon to add all of this information.

There are people all over the place on whether serial numbers are useful, helpful definitive or worthless when dating drums. However, ignoring an original dated receipt is defies logic. I have seen several for sale listings where people will report a date stamp (i.e.: 1966) and then claim that the serial number dates the drum to a different year (i.e.: 1967). Again, does not make much sense to me.

Rich - If you can forward me the information on your drums or a link to your Reverb listing, I would appreciate it. I did not find it in a quick search.
Pm sent

Latest posts