Anyone Still Using Vintage Bass Drum Pedals

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I stopped using the SK a long time ago, and let it go earlier this year. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it like I wanted to either. What I liked most about it was nostalgia, weight, and portability, but for playing I tend to like the smoother feel of modern pedals.

Last year I got a new Tama Classic pedal for Christmas. It's the modern version of the 80's Tama pedals that I loved playinig back then, and they've done a very good job of combining modern functionality and smoothness with the classic Tama vibe, feel, light weight, and portability. It's my go-to pedal now.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first DW 5000 is old enough to qualify as vintage... ;) It still works great, but I have several newer ones. My original DW 5000 is currently on my practice kit.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first DW 5000 is old enough to qualify as vintage... ;) It still works great, but I have several newer ones. My original DW 5000 is currently on my practice kit.
Mine, too. I have an original 5000 that never came with those base plates, so I'd be snapping the radius rod every year. Strap drive!

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Still playin' my old Swiv-o from the late 60's. I've picked up 2 spares through the years but I like the feel of well worn footboard.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do they call that flat metal plate that goes under the whole footboard that most modern pedals have?

I've come to really like them. Just feels so much more stable and less prone to moving around.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time Slingerland Yellow Jacket player. I played out with these for decades. I have all the pedals mentioned above but still have the Slingy on 1 of the 2 kits I have set up. It's just my thing.

Dave
I've been wanting to try a Yellow Jacket.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do they call that flat metal plate that goes under the whole footboard that most modern pedals have?
DW calls it the footboard assembly plate (FTBD ASSY PLATE)
Pearl calls it the Powerplate assembly
Tama mostly identifies it as the base plate (the part was also referred to an underplate and even misidentified as a "bass plate"!!!)
Ludwig calls it a base plate (floor plate on SK)

SKINZ

Reaction score
TAMA FLEXI FLYER STRAP DRIVE ......BACKUP IS A SONOR SINGLE CHAIN PEDAL.... :cool:

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I've come to really like them. Just feels so much more stable and less prone to moving around.
You're right...many of the older pedals, especially strap drives, don't have a solid feel. That is a feature which I have added when I overhaul my pedals.

This is one of my Swivi-o's:

Swiv-o 2nd Gen pedal.jpg

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a thread on the custom renovation of this pedal from a couple of years ago. It plays so smooth and is holding up perfectly.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Father of the strap driven pedal.
Nice one hardbat.
I'm surprised there's not more mention of the Gretsch Floating Action.

gbow

Reaction score
I guess I'm just in the minority. I have a SK around here some where. I bought it in the 70s. Even back then I didn't like it and every time I've brought it out it's the same. Just doesn't seem responsive to me.

I like a pedal adjusted with a light spring and when I do that with the SK, it just seems like the rebound from it is very slow and I just can't play the faster kick parts.

To me it seems like pedals got better every 10 years or so.

I've still never played a drumnetics pedal, but have always wanted one. Seems like the ultimate in smoothness to me.

gabo

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
Used a DW 5000 pedal for 33 years. Went to a TAMA Speed Cobra. Wow. I'm pissed I didn't get to this pedal sooner. Much smoother and just feels right. I do own a SK pedal and use it on my vintage kits, but for all the double pedal stuff I do, have to go with Speed Cobra. Faster, lighter, very smooth. I think I remember someone asking Buddy Rich what the best pedal is to use, and his response was, " Whatever my foot is on."

Iristone

Reaction score
I guess I'm just in the minority. I have a SK around here some where. I bought it in the 70s. Even back then I didn't like it and every time I've brought it out it's the same. Just doesn't seem responsive to me.

I like a pedal adjusted with a light spring and when I do that with the SK, it just seems like the rebound from it is very slow and I just can't play the faster kick parts.

To me it seems like pedals got better every 10 years or so.
Exactly, or these companies won't survive. But I suppose a refurbishment/regreasing may squeeze some more life from your old trusty SK. :wink:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never wanted to leave the impression that Camco is it, and all other pedals are useless. Most of my entire life was spent using the old single chain 5000. My problems really started to occur, once i went to the Iron Cobra 900.
Right around that time my foot went dead. The Iron Cobra might be an excellent pedal, if healthy? Once I started using it, I couldn't play anything. I even went back to the DW, but no luck. With the Cobra, and dead foot, I could still play quick doubles, but it felt too fast, and not controllable.
My first kit ever was a Tama Swingstar. Looking back, I'm wondering if that was a strap driven Camco, or something similar. I remember it being buit in that style?
I could say with confidence the Camco was the only pedal that worked for me once I lost the feeling in my foot. It's actually feels better than anything I've used before.
I would have never thought I could get the power I get with the Camco.
There probably was no reason to reinvent the wheel, but as I've read, these companies may have either stopped making pedals, or gone out of business?

Last edited:

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Father of the strap driven pedal.
Nice one hardbat.
I'm surprised there's not more mention of the Gretsch Floating Action.
The Fleetfoot, Camco, and Gretsch Floating Action are all the same pedal. The Fleetfoot has some very minor differences.