Anyone store or play their drums in a shed?

huitli

Reaction score
I'm up in the mountains in California, in Tehachapi. I've stored many of my drums in a shed for a decade (small house), but it is a shed I built, to code. California is dry so even with the snow we (used to) get up here I've had no climate issues. I'm getting ready to build a "studio" (aka shed) as an upgrade where I can also set-up and play. Our property is rural so noise/neighbors aren't that much of a problem but my wife will only let me play e-drums in the house. I will build the studio myself and figure it will costs about $3,000 for the materials, insulated though with windows and (at least some) solar power. If you are handy with construction, this is no big deal. But the major issue is zoning and structure size. I don't want to pay for a building permit which, where I live, means it can't be on a permanent foundation (e.g., bolted to a concrete pad), and is supposed to be no more than 140-sq ft (10x14-ft, pretty damn small. But if it's not permitted it won't be inspected and will anyone measure it?). I'd be very careful about Tuff-sheds and those pre-fab wooden sheds like they sell at Home Depot. The Tuff-sheds are water proof but not much else; the pre-fabs are made with 1x3s and are pretty damn-flimsy. Neither will give you any sound-proofing. As to concrete pads, two things are guaranteed: they won't blow away in the wind, and they will crack if exposed to the weather (unless they are really thick and include a lot of rebar). I'd elevate the shed above the pad using blocks, but the pad is a good way to keep weeds from growing underneath.

Michael M.

Reaction score
I am looking at possibilities of having a nice small/medium size shed in the backyard where I can comfortably setup my drums and play. I am sure I need to use sound absorbing material and do anything else I can to reduce db levels outside so I don’t annoy the neighbors. BUT my question is, does it make sense to do it? Has anyone tried? I am in LA, so it is mostly dry but the shed won’t be temperature controlled, any ideas?.
If the wrong person hears you playing you WILL be a target for theft. Also I wouldn't expose my drums ect... to the extreme heat, cold, and humidity. Musical instruments are not designed to be outside.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
OK. I'll chime in.

My stuff is in a shed.

I keep a dehumidifier on in the shed full time in the summer months.
I have an oil heater on in winter. I also usually have a pot of water on it to keep the humidity from getting too dry.
I have a window A.C. I'll turn on if I am going to be in it for a while in the middle of summer on really hot days.

I inherited this shed already built, but just a shell. It was not finished inside.
IMG_20131013_210409_936.jpg
20190822_180909.jpg
IMG_20131013_210433_604.jpg
IMG_20131013_210352_041.jpg
IMG_20140126_095508_508.jpg

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OK. I'll chime in.

My stuff is in a shed.

I keep a dehumidifier on in the shed full time in the summer months.
I have an oil heater on in winter. I also usually have a pot of water on it to keep the humidity from getting too dry.
I have a window A.C. I'll turn on if I am going to be in it for a while in the middle of summer on really hot days.

I inherited this shed already built, but just a shell. It was not finished inside. View attachment 519279 View attachment 519280 View attachment 519281 View attachment 519282 View attachment 519283
Wow that’s a huge shed, so much space. Our weather conditions are way different but thanks for the tips.

khoop

Reaction score
I have the 10 x12 Premiere Standard 6'5" interior height at the walls and it works pretty well. Cost for the shed was right around $3000.00. I did not pour a slab but used the Tuff Shed pier foundation. My other contactor cost was about 700.00 to run electricity from the house which was about 60 feet. I saved quite a bit by trenching it myself and doing all the interior wiring insulation and drywall. You might want to consider running a 20 amp circuit instead of the normal 15 amp so when you want to sell you have enough power for consumer grade power tools if the buyer wants to have workshop instead of a studio. I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills so we don't have the constant heat in summer and only get snow 5-6 times in winter so I use a window air conditioner and a space heater instead of having built ins. Probably had another $1000 materials cost for insulation, drywall electrical parts and paint. It's not sound proof but the sound is reduced considerably and dissipates before it gets to my neighbors about 100 feet away. Before you buy compare the actual Tuff Shed at their location to the Home Depot Tuff Sheds. When I bought mine the ones from Tuff Shed itself had better materials (real 2x4's) etc. and were worth the extra cost

Attachments

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
I've considered using my attached garage for drum storage & practice, but I live in northern Illinois. We have really cold winters and really hot summers. I wouldn't do it without better insulation, heating & AC, etc.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the 10 x12 Premiere Standard 6'5" interior height at the walls and it works pretty well. Cost for the shed was right around $3000.00. I did not pour a slab but used the Tuff Shed pier foundation. My other contactor cost was about 700.00 to run electricity from the house which was about 60 feet. I saved quite a bit by trenching it myself and doing all the interior wiring insulation and drywall. You might want to consider running a 20 amp circuit instead of the normal 15 amp so when you want to sell you have enough power for consumer grade power tools if the buyer wants to have workshop instead of a studio. I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills so we don't have the constant heat in summer and only get snow 5-6 times in winter so I use a window air conditioner and a space heater instead of having built ins. Probably had another $1000 materials cost for insulation, drywall electrical parts and paint. It's not sound proof but the sound is reduced considerably and dissipates before it gets to my neighbors about 100 feet away. Before you buy compare the actual Tuff Shed at their location to the Home Depot Tuff Sheds. When I bought mine the ones from Tuff Shed itself had better materials (real 2x4's) etc. and were worth the extra cost
Wow man, that’s exactly what I want, I don’t need huge space. I am 6’0” tall but that looks like it’d work for me too. I was thinking what if I don’t want to have concrete slab, you answered my question.

khoop

Reaction score
Wow man, that’s exactly what I want, I don’t need huge space. I am 6’0” tall but that looks like it’d work for me too. I was thinking what if I don’t want to have concrete slab, you answered my question.
I'm 6'0" too and the only place I have to duck my head is coming in and out the door.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm 6'0" too and the only place I have to duck my head is coming in and out the door.
Good to know, yea that door looked a bit short but inside no. If I could get the same size but taller that’d be even better.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in Texas, and have had my drums stored in the garage for 20 years no issue with rust, but they stay in cases when not used. I've got a shed and thought about trying to fix it up to at least play my electronic kit out there but at the moment it's full of sh...stuff :) So my electronic kit is the garage and I get a nice workout when it's hot. Maybe once I get the shed cleaned out I'll look at insulating etc. We got a hot tub recently and the electrician ran an extra line so that in the future he could come back and run for the shed. I just don't know if the cost would be worth it, don't know how much I'd use it. I'd rather gig than practice.

Jeremy Bender

Reaction score
I found a few words of advice on Sonor's website:

How should I store drums?
Please do not expose your drums and hardware to extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations. Storage would be perfect in stable room conditions of approximately a temperature 20°C (70ºF) and humidity of 55%.

Last edited:

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about buying a shed to make a studio out of. We’re also looking at moving and upgrading our house. My hope is we can just find a bigger house with either a basement or spare bedroom I can convert. Currently I practice on a cheap e drum kit.