Anyone try the Evans Black Chrome heads?

Appleseed

Reaction score
Next time you buy heads, maybe try out the Remo Black Suede heads. I love them and I use 2 ply batters and 1 ply resos. They have a nice dark/earthy sound but still tune up and boom when they need to.
And for Punk/Metal the Black X snare head is a killer.
Thank you for the descriptive words! I'm a visual learner. Dark and booming! That's definitely what I'm going for!

dsop

Reaction score
Fair enough. I didn't know that. I don't use Evans heads, with the exception of the hydraulics for a special set of tymp-toms I have.

Anyway, the point I was making was just that there's no reason standard single-ply "batter" heads shouldn't be used as resonants.
I don't use Evans either. I have tried them a few times, but they always sound brittle to me. I miss the old Evans heads with those flexible, plastic-ish hoops.

I remember when Neil Peart used to use Blue Hydraulics on the bottom of his toms, with Looking Glass (mirror finish double ply) on the batter side.

Appleseed

Reaction score
I don't use Evans either. I have tried them a few times, but they always sound brittle to me. I miss the old Evans heads with those flexible, plastic-ish hoops.

I remember when Neil Peart used to use Blue Hydraulics on the bottom of his toms, with Looking Glass (mirror finish double ply) on the batter side.
Seems like Remos are know for their resonance and Evans have lower tones and more attack... I love both but am only just beginning to hear the difference in different brands.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
So after all heads are tensioned to 75 I would tune the reso down for a lower sound? I'd imagine that I will also want the top he'd looser but we shall see.

What exactly do you mean by musical interval, please?
Before thinking about tuning either head lower, start with the setting I described. At this point you don't know whether it will sound low, high, or what. It will depend on the type of heads (among other factors) because you can tune different types of heads to the same number on the dial, and they will have different pitches.

A musical interval is the distance between any two notes. Like if you look at a piano keyboard, there's a middle C, and then the note F is a few keys away. The same thing applies to tuning drum heads. To get different tones and sound qualities, you can tune the top or bottom heads to different intervals apart, just like playing a chord on a piano. But again, don't worry about that at the beginning.

Louis mate

Reaction score
I absolutely love Evans black chrome heads. I play an old mapex saturn and they make those drums sing like nothing else. I barely have to make an effort to tune them. Just put the skin on, tighten it, and it’s good to go

Appleseed

Reaction score
I absolutely love Evans black chrome heads. I play an old mapex saturn and they make those drums sing like nothing else. I barely have to make an effort to tune them. Just put the skin on, tighten it, and it’s good to go
What type of resonate heads do you use?

Appleseed

Reaction score
Before thinking about tuning either head lower, start with the setting I described. At this point you don't know whether it will sound low, high, or what. It will depend on the type of heads (among other factors) because you can tune different types of heads to the same number on the dial, and they will have different pitches.

A musical interval is the distance between any two notes. Like if you look at a piano keyboard, there's a middle C, and then the note F is a few keys away. The same thing applies to tuning drum heads. To get different tones and sound qualities, you can tune the top or bottom heads to different intervals apart, just like playing a chord on a piano. But again, don't worry about that at the beginning.
On it first thing in the morning!

Okay. So that they sound good with each other. We used an acoustic guitar tuner to tune my Pearl to A (I think?) D, and G.

Louis mate

Reaction score
What type of resonate heads do you use?
This is honestly embarrassing to say, but it’s got the same stock reso heads on it that came with the kit many years ago lol. I think it came with a stock remo ambassador though, so good to go. I’ve always gotten great sounds with those heads, so I’ve never bothered to re skin my reso’s. I should note that my drums are huge. 24x20 bass drum, 14x10 rack and 16x16 floor tom. I have great experience with these heads, but it could be because they fit well with the sizes and shell materials that I have. For me, if a skin doesn’t tune up easy, I just move on and find another. Tuning drums is an art, but if you know what your doing, it shouldn’t be all too difficult. Black chrome heads have always tuned up very easily ON THIS KIT for me, so i stuck with it and I’m very happy

Appleseed

Reaction score
This is honestly embarrassing to say, but it’s got the same stock reso heads on it that came with the kit many years ago lol. I think it came with a stock remo ambassador though, so good to go. I’ve always gotten great sounds with those heads, so I’ve never bothered to re skin my reso’s. I should note that my drums are huge. 24x20 bass drum, 14x10 rack and 16x16 floor tom. I have great experience with these heads, but it could be because they fit well with the sizes and shell materials that I have. For me, if a skin doesn’t tune up easy, I just move on and find another. Tuning drums is an art, but if you know what your doing, it shouldn’t be all too difficult. Black chrome heads have always tuned up very easily ON THIS KIT for me, so i stuck with it and I’m very happy
I'm sure you've kept the resos for a reason! The Ambassador is what @Toast Tee suggested to me. I'm looking forward to installing them.

Appleseed

Reaction score
Update: all heads are tuned to 75 and they sound terrible. The floor tom still has slight wrinkling when I press on it with my hand. I've been feeling a little frustrated and decided to give it a break. Away from home until Tuesday when I shall try again. Idk why I'm having such a hard time wrapping my head around what to do about this. I tried uploading a video so you all can hear my toms to no avail. The floor tom has the resonance of a dodgeball. I'm serious. Something I forgot to mention in my original post was that I also have a black chrome on my snare. It sounds tinny. Maybe it's just the heads. I bought new snare wires (not on yet) and still need to get a snare side head for it. The factory one on currently while I do some more research. If I can't get these tuned up nicely I think I'll try the Remo black suede that polycrecendo suggested.

Last edited:

Appleseed

Reaction score
Another update: Evan's Black Chrome heads liked to be tuned up high. At least on my kit they do. Otherwise there is a "ping" sound at the end of the resonation. Doesn't seem like they have much of a span of pitch to play with. I like a much deeper tone. I ordered some Remo Coated Emperor's to try out next.

Also ordered a Remo Emperor X Coated with Black For and a Remo Clear Ambassador for my snare... And some new snare wires!

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread!

Latest posts