Anyone try the Tama SLP Snares?

covinasurf

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Classic Maple 5.5x14 (the one with the stick saver hoops) and the 6x14 G Maple.
Any thoughts?

JH

bleen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had the SLP maple snare for years and it sees regular use here. It sounds great, but also is just a great feeling drum under the sticks.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the aluminum six incher for a while . I somehow expected more than just OK .

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like what I've tried. If I ever find a ridiculously great deal on an SLP walnut snare, I'll probably jump on it.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fat Spruce 14x6 and the Big Black Steel 14x8 are in my garage now. The Spruce is a nice drum, well built, tunes low very well but it doesn't excite me enough for what it cost. There are better drums for 4 bills. It will be returned.

I am about to break out the Steel SLP today and find out if it's a keeper.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the Fat Spruce. I actually tuned it to a higher jazz setting. I think that drum has a sweet organic tone.

Moredrums

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Classic Maple 5.5x14 (the one with the stick saver hoops) and the 6x14 G Maple.
Any thoughts?

JH
Hi, I have the classic maple, it's a very nice snare drum, well built, no quality issues. Its a very practical snare drum I dare say, it can do many things and it's enjoyable to play.

Some pictures attached from when it was just out of the box. Any particular questions about it?

Attachments

Demonslayer

Reaction score
I had the Bubinga. It was VERY underwhelming.

Tama's best sounding snare drums (IMO) are hidden in their regular offerings. Some stuff I've owned that I highly recommend looking into:

1970s King Beat with the CL Strainer. This is a spun shell steel snare drum that is just obese sounding.
I upgraded to Ludwig after this, but I still miss it every now and then. A GREAT performer in the studio.

Late 1980s Artwood/Granstar. Great drum, very focused response with a near-perfect balance of crack vs body.
Very versatile and great tuning range. Again, do not regret what I moved to, but this was REALLY good.

1st Gen Tama Starclassic Birch. This guy killed on the stage and in the studio faithfully for 10 years under very demanding conditions.
If you play hard rock/metal, you'll be very hard-pressed to do better than this drum, even with metal shells.

These are not easy to find, but they can be worth the effort.

In closing, I once played this in a rehearsal, and it totally blew away the Bubinga SLP (just saying):

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a quick half hour of playing I like the Big Black SLP. Punchy as all get out.
I’m trying other tunings now.

It works quite well as a snom (snare tom). This will be my deep aux snare like Lewis and Sput have.

It requires muffling to control the long ringing but it cleans up nicely.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Ha ha... saw this thread and pondered... oh yeah, that's me, I likey.

But on closer inspection... na, I've never played an SLP, but the Tama that I have now and thought was the focus... the Soundworks Maple 14x6.5 snare, is fantastic.

It's got some ring, but having sorted that, it is great for everything I do.

covinasurf

Reaction score
Hi, I have the classic maple, it's a very nice snare drum, well built, no quality issues. Its a very practical snare drum I dare say, it can do many things and it's enjoyable to play.

Some pictures attached from when it was just out of the box. Any particular questions about it?
Nothing in particular, just looking out for any possible issues with it. I did really want to see one first but nobody local has one. I almost pulled the trigger last month but I snagged a '65 Slingerland Artist at a good price and spent a few weeks rehabbing it. Now I'm just waiting for a Black Friday/Post Christmas sale to see if I can get it a bit cheaper.
Thanks for the info and the pictures!

JH