Anyone used Drum Supply House's exclusive Burgundy Sparkle Wrap?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Does anyone around here have any experience with Drum Supply House's 60's Ludwig style burgundy sparkle wrap? They say they are the only ones that have it in that exact shade of burgundy (it's not the Merlot version). I have a use for some if it would be a decent match to my vintage drums. I emailed them asking for a sample a couple months back but never got a response. I tried calling but just get the answering machine. I know this is typical for them, being just a one or two man operation, although a bit frustrating.

At almost $200 a sheet the wrap isn't cheap but if it is a decent match I would spring for it. I want a 14x14 in that color. I know the chances of finding a vintage tom that size in that color are slim and the chances I could afford or justify the asking price if one did surface even slimmer. However I could clone one if I had the right wrap. I have the necessary hardware and a new 3 ply Ludwig style 14x14 shell that I had Bernie Stone make for me.

So, is anyone familiar with this wrap? Or know of another source? Or know of a reasonably priced Ludwig 14x14 in burgundy (I can dream, cam't I)?

Thanks.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
From all of the threads complaining about DSH the only way I would buy anything from them would be if they would agree to ship it COD. I don't know that they ever got their act together again. I wouldn't send them one penny unless I was prepared for a whole bunch of hassle.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
From all of the threads complaining about DSH the only way I would buy anything from them would be if they would agree to ship it COD. I don't know that they ever got their act together again. I wouldn't send them one penny unless I was prepared for a whole bunch of hassle.
Yes, I'm aware. And the non-responsiveness to my email and calls just adds fuel to the fire. Couple in the 8-10 week lead time listed on the sales page for this particular wrap and the whole transaction could be a real nail biter. I have ordered from them before and always got my stuff...eventually. I've spoken to them at the Chicago drum show. It seems like they mean well but are perhaps in slightly over their head.

Given all this I'd certainly prefer another option if it exists or, at the very least, knowledge that the stuff matches well enough to justify the risk (hence this thread). But if they truly are the only place I can get this wrap then I may have to just bite the bullet and see what happens.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You should go ahead and buy it. And build the drum. Because once you do the real thing will show up.

It’s how life works :)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't deal with someone who has crap support, call Precision drum. They handle drum wraps for so many companies who don't want to deal with Delmar directly.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't deal with someone who has crap support, call Precision drum. They handle drum wraps for so many companies who don't want to deal with Delmar directly.
Believe me I've considered it and probably will check with both Precision and Delmar (who I've dealt directly with before) before I take any leap of faith with DSH.

The fact that I even need to ask, and the responses given, is kind of a sorry report card for DSH, I appreciate that they exist and what they try to offer but wish they could make a better showing of it.

What might be the best way to approach it would be to get them to agree to bring a sheet of it to the Chicago show so I can inspect it then buy it then and there. If that were an option it would probably be the best way to proceed under the circumstances.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I also tried to give them money, but they resisted me at every turn.

What they offer isn’t magic - Precision can do a sparkle (or pearl) in any color of the Pantone rainbow. DSH has simply matched a root-beered sample to the color chart. It’s simply easier to pay the people who answer the phone.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
check that BS
canopusBS.jpg

(yeah, not a wrap (I don't think..
It is a wrap. Burgundy Glitter:

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I was wondering how matching the drum would be. Is your set in good color Kevin? That color looks great when it is un-faded. I'm not a big fan after it turns brown.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was wondering how matching the drum would be. Is your set in good color Kevin? That color looks great when it is un-faded. I'm not a big fan after it turns brown.
Mine are a bit "brown" like most Ludwig burgundy drums tend to become. But the on screen swatch from DSH almost looks like it matches that, hence my interest. I just wish I could see a sample in person.

Last edited:

Latest posts