Anyone using a 13" snare drum as the main snare?

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for 13" snare threads but "13 inch" comes up too short in the search word size.

Anyhow, I know most of you aren't gigging too much right now, but when you are, do any of you use a 13" snare as the main snare?
I'm thinking about getting a 13" diameter by 6" or 7" deep maple snare drum.
I play in a rock cover band, and I'm wondering how this would work as my main, or only, snare drum.
Will it be a little thin and light sounding, or will it still cut through?
Or perhaps it's not even an issue, if I'm placing a mic on the snare.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
13x7 is a great size that has a similar range as a 14x5, but with more depth to the sound, but still a nice pop and higher pitch.

sw532121

Reaction score
I have six 14" snares, and just picked up a 6.5x13 Dunnett Stainless Steel. It sounds really good at both low and medium tunings. It's got plenty of body, and the steel shell gives it a nice attack. I wouldn't hesitate at all to gig with this drum (un-mic'd) with a loud band. It easily outputs as much volume and tone as my other drums.

Here is a very accurate representation of the drum.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I have a 10, 12, 13 and 14" snares, used on different kits. I make the drum sound the way I want within certain parameters.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
At one time I had more 13” than 14” snares. ( Times change, snares come and go ) I liked the smaller diameter and found the tuning range very versatile due to the diameter and depth. All of mine were 6.5 - I currently only have a 7” x 13” that I use here and there. Go for it!

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For many years I used a 7X13 Black Magic as my main snare...........great drum.
A big plus is a little more room for your legs.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
It totally depends upon what you want in sound. The 12" and 13" can deliver great 'pop' with a deeper 13" giving more crack. But if you want to get into a snare drums chambers, you will struggle with those sizes. I used to play a Trick 6"x 12" Kodiak snare, Spaun 5" x 12" Maple Snare and an Omar Hakim Pearl 5" x 13" snare drum. None of those drums were bad, but none of them delivered what I was looking for when I solo'd. For me, I'll stick with 5" or 6.5" x 14" drums.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have used a 12" as my main snare (rather than 13") for many years but both the ones I used were deep at 7" with a very thick block shell. That all gives me everything I need for any genre. Lots of crisp snare response and very "throaty" when need be as tuning range is very wide. The current one is a Brady Sheoak block shell.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I played a brass Pearl 13x5.5 Sensitone for years in a rock cover band. At medium tension it pretty much sounds like a 5x14. When you tighten it up is where it gets like a picollo with some nads. Funk & reggae were fun too with that drum.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had several 13 x 7” snares of varying materials. I like the tuning versatility they offer.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a Sonor Benny Greb snare for awhile and they are great snares but sold my Benny Greb and N&C 13” CD Maple snare and have gone completely back to 14” snare drums .
I do have interest in the 12” Sonor Protean ( Gavin Harrison) snare . I have the 140 version and it is fantastic . I assume the 12” will also be excellent .

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Pearl Masters Maple - 13" x 7".

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just got a LUDWIG EPIC birch 13" by 6.5"... $90 and it looks like new. It's pretty cool, so far I have just used it for rudiment practice in the drum room.

Years ago I bought an all maple 13x7 DDRUM for VERY cheap, and it was a great snare! Cast rims were crap, but I replaced those with 2.3 rims. I traded it off to a pro drummer buddy to get the Tama SLP 13" super thick (20 ply?) and just never liked the Tama. My drummer buddy uses the DDRUM 13 for bar gigs now! I want it back!!!!!

13's are very cool.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
13 x 7" rules ......... !

I've got two Oriollos: aluminum Phantom and steel Magnan, plus an older Worldmax "Black Guppy" with a brass shell ...... and oh yes, my original 13x7": the matching snare to my Allegretti bebop kit with Keller shells.

I too like the added room between the knees; I've gotten used to the reduced "real estate" for brush work and the need for more accurate stick positioning for side-stick work ...... and I love the added "whoomp" from the extra depth.

Mike

SKINZ

Reaction score
I have a Gretsch 7X13 Mahogany with diecast hoops my snom ..... :cool:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Ludwig Supralite 13x6. I got it like a year ago and got rid of it a couple of weeks ago. Although it was excellent for what it was, I never found a place for that 13 on my kit. It was missing what my 14x5 Blacrolite already offered. I don't think I'll ever get anything again that's less than a 14". I've just ordered a 14x5.5 Sakae steel snare to try something different. It should fill the gap between my 6.5 & 5 inch snares.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Currently playing a 13x7 and occasionally a 12x7. With a double pedal I prefer the linkage unextended and my legs not rubbing the snare drum. I do this mostly to position the hi-hat close to its normal position and because pedaling is less fatiguing without leg spread (hips). This is on a mesh head set so I'm not 100% whether the 12" would translate headed-up, but the 13" I know will work just fine.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've messed a little with the Steve Adler Warbird. Very nice drum at 12x5.5. Strong and powerful. Did not feel too high pitched for me. I almost pulled the trigger.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I tried searching for 13" snare threads but "13 inch" comes up too short in the search word size.

Anyhow, I know most of you aren't gigging too much right now, but when you are, do any of you use a 13" snare as the main snare?
I'm thinking about getting a 13" diameter by 6" or 7" deep maple snare drum.
I play in a rock cover band, and I'm wondering how this would work as my main, or only, snare drum.
Will it be a little thin and light sounding, or will it still cut through?
Or perhaps it's not even an issue, if I'm placing a mic on the snare.
...not rock, but since 1999...

Ludwig_ClassicMaple_07-99.jpg
Ludwig_ClassicMaple_ME_13x3.jpg

...13's as main snare's came into vogue in the 90's. By the time I bought my kit, the "quintessential 20-something butt rock kit" was 20/12/15/13x5.
It ticked all the boxes back then.
My little Ludwig is a 13x3, but they also make a 13x6 "Power Piccolo" in several series, including the Classic Maple, which is what my kit is.
13's will speak in a little higher note range, so the "pop" becomes more of a "pap", but the additional depth will give it some body back.
Otherwise, tune it and play it just like your 14.
...and btw, I also have a 13x5...Tama Stagestar....

Tama_Stagestar13x5.5a.jpg

...the snare drum everyone loved to hate, but mine works fine for me. Always has.:dontknow:
One thing I found, though.....my 13x3 Ludwig came with 12 strand snare wires (the 13x6 comes with 16 strand wires, btw).
My Tama came with a 20 strand snare.
The Ludwig was always raspy, which I didn't really like.
The Tama was always a bit cold and lifeless.
...what to do!...
So, one day, I decided to swap wires.
Didn't really notice much difference at first, so I put them both aside and called it a failed experiment.
A couple of weeks later, I figured I should swap them back, but decided to give them one more play before swapping.
Boy, what a difference that made!
The Ludwig dried out slightly and gained this nice, full, smooth snare sound. No more raspiness!
The Tama warmed up and got a much fatter sound!
It worked!
That was like 2006 or 2007 and they're still setup that way.
So, in the end, it all worked out.
...but yeah, to answer your question, a 13x5 or 13x6 will work just fine for Rock. You might want to try it before you buy it, if you can, though.
See if its something that even appeals to you.
Good luck! =)

Elvis

Last edited: