header.nohb.html

Anyone using a 2002 22” Crash? - a new discovery

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a lot of Paiste B8 over the years and thought I understood them all, but the 2002 22” Crash is a weird one. These things are far from a crash, IMO, unlike the 20” Crash. To me, it’s really like a 2002 Medium-Light ride. The edges are not thin and it doesn’t open up easily enough to be a crash. It’s heavier than the Giant Beat multipurpose!

I know Abe uses it as a crash and probably many others, but it’s been my go-to light ride lately when I need more brightness and ping than my 24” Giant Beat, but still need that washy thing.

He stops wailing on it around the 1:00 mark:

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Deep Purple where Ian Paice was using one and even a 24" crash also? I saw him hitting it but it opened real slow and was so low pitched it was hardly heard as a crash.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful as a light ride indeed! The bell sounds great, too.

To me, a cymbal qualifies as a ride if the overtones in the ride wash are not too high to a) overpower the stick attack and b) mess with the sound of other instruments in the ensemble. Some cymbals labelled "ride" I tired qualify less than that 22" 2002 "crash".

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one years ago and played it as a jazz ride. It worked well but ultimately the clear higher pitched sound wasn’t what I needed.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one years ago and played it as a jazz ride. It worked well but ultimately the clear higher pitched sound wasn’t what I needed.
Yeah. I think this would shine with some kind of poppy light rock. Or maybe something heavier that needs a cutting crash ride.

I think the drummer for Belle & Sebastian uses this one. Luna, as well.

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fun fact....the 24" 2oo2 crash actually weighs MORE than that reverend al big ride.

Regarding the 22" I have a gorgeous black label from '76 on its way from switzerland....would love to share a review of it but probably wont be able to give personal experience for a few months sadly. I wouldn't be surprised if it plays great as a light ride though.

@nickrobotron if you can find one, a brown label 4o4 22" RIDE sounds like exactly what you're looking for. They run about 2400-2500g and are absolutely gorgeous sounding for the price.

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun fact....the 24" 2oo2 crash actually weighs MORE than that reverend al big ride.

Regarding the 22" I have a gorgeous black label from '76 on its way from switzerland....would love to share a review of it but probably wont be able to give personal experience for a few months sadly. I wouldn't be surprised if it plays great as a light ride though.

@nickrobotron if you can find one, a brown label 4o4 22" RIDE sounds like exactly what you're looking for. They run about 2400-2500g and are absolutely gorgeous sounding for the price.
You didn't tell me you were expecting a delivery from the "Swiss red ball express" big fella?!?!?!?

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a lot of Paiste B8 over the years and thought I understood them all, but the 2002 22” Crash is a weird one. These things are far from a crash, IMO, unlike the 20” Crash. To me, it’s really like a 2002 Medium-Light ride. The edges are not thin and it doesn’t open up easily enough to be a crash. It’s heavier than the Giant Beat multipurpose!

I know Abe uses it as a crash and probably many others, but it’s been my go-to light ride lately when I need more brightness and ping than my 24” Giant Beat, but still need that washy thing.

He stops wailing on it around the 1:00 mark:

Reissue Giant beats are really thin, regardless of size, they're all "crash weight" cymbals!
Carl Palmer used 22" and 24' 2002 crashes all through the 70's while he was in ELP (along with a 24" ride and china!).

1662676110540.png

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one dont use it ya gotta hit the hell out of it to get a good crash.
Exactly. I purchased mine to play as a right side crash with a 19” Signature Full on my left about 6 months ago. It was a disappointment. A beautiful crash, for sure, but it doesn’t open up easily.

Have you tried it as a ride?

311Club

Reaction score
I have one dont use it ya gotta hit the hell out of it to get a good crash.
This! Have a look at how the Grandmaster of large 2002s uses it (0:50 and 1:52 are prime examples):

No other cymbal (series) sounds like this. That undercurrent of lows is a B8 exclusive! B20 cymbals have a much narrower frequency spectrum. B15s are close, but not the same. And as no one but Paiste handles B8 in a respectable way, Paiste are the only serious choice. So to speak and if this is what you're into, of course...
:)

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This! Have a look at how the Grandmaster of large 2002s uses it (0:50 and 1:52 are prime examples):

No other cymbal (series) sounds like this. That undercurrent of lows is a B8 exclusive! B20 cymbals have a much narrower frequency spectrum. B15s are close, but not the same. And as no one but Paiste handles B8 in a respectable way, Paiste are the only serious choice. So to speak and if this is what you're into, of course...
:)
There's only one problem with that video... it was recorded in 1970, well before 2002's were on the market!

311Club

Reaction score
There's only one problem with that video... it was recorded in 1970, well before 2002's were on the market!
Oooops, you're right
Recorded September 1970. Not too far off the 1971 public releasethough. Either some really early ones or GBs. Still sound like 2002s to me.

311Club

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I see that you are not an ocean away from me. I have quite a few 602s and GB/2002s in larger sizes to compare directly. You're most welcome to come by and see (hear) for yourself

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 13, 15, 17 inch 2002 crash
16 inch 602 thin crash
17 inch thin crash Twenty series
14" Swiss thin crash Pstx
And many other types of cymbals.

Butch1970

Reaction score
When I was working in a “heavy” project, I went with all large 2002’s, including a 22” crash and a 24” Big Al used as a crash. The response of a 22” is just not gonna be as quick as a smaller cymbal, though I found the 22” did a nice job as an expansive crash but could also work really well as a light ride if one used it that way.