Anyone using a flat ride???

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
using an 18" Soultone with a 2 guitar and bass rock/pop band...this one's got a nice sultry but soft wash and is crashable. When i bought it I thought it would probably live in my stick bag but its perfect.

Freewill3

Reaction score
Recently became a fan of flat rides, love that stick response and control. Picked up the classic Paiste Formula 602 medium flat and the Zildjian K light flat and having a blast!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 90's K 20" Flat that was great...can't remember why I got rid of it, I think they sound great with rivets, but don't think I could do one as a main ride they can be a little too quiet

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I used to have a 21” Paiste Vintage black lable flat tide that I never should have let go of. I’d love to have that one back.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a 1979 18" Paiste flat ride for my quieter gigs. Love that cymbal. Nice "ting ting" with little sustain. With brushes and sizzle chain, it's just a subtle "shhhhhh."

Parklane With Cannister Throne 1.jpg

Closeup of Shaker & Brushes.JPG

pwc1141

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two .... Bosphorus Turk 19" and Istanbul Agop 18". The former gets used as a main ride most of a typical night but set up as left hand ride .....

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played with a 20" Paiste blue label flat ride for years. I now have a 20" made in Canada Zildjian flat ride. For quiet gigs it's often my main ride.

mebeatee

Reaction score
Not "main" rides per se but are used when needed.....a 20" Zildjian and an 18" Sabian.
I almost bought a 22" Stagg on impulse one day but (initially) talked myself out of it, then a couple of days later found I had snoozed....
I know someone that uses a 22" Zildjian in a 2 ride set up.....I don't like that one as much but they do, and it is a nice cymbal.
bt

Pibroch

Reaction score
Yea - my main ride is an 18“ Bosphorus unlathed flattie. Very sweet sounding and quiet - ideal in a soft pop rock / blues covers band with a singer who likes to be heard clearly by the audience above the other instruments (acoustic rhythm and lead guitars, bass, sax/flute, usually un-miced drum kit).

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a super portable setup - 10x14 "bass", with a snare stand built in on top, and I mounted a cymbal arm. I gigged it recently for the first time with a HH and my sole cymbal was a 19" Soultone old school patina flat ride - worked perfectly for the acoustic outdoor art gallery gig I had. I'm not good enough to use a flat ride in a jazz setting but for this gig, it was just fine. Current flats include that one and a 20" K Con..........but that one stays in the home studio.

SKINZ

Reaction score
YEP 2---- K 22 90S BRILLANT FINISH FLAT TOP and a 20 A CUSTOM FLATTIE with 2 rivets.......ALSO A 26 FACTORY METAL CUSTOM FLAT THUNDER SHEET WOBBLES MAD.......

LauraCai

Reaction score
I have a couple of the newer Constantinople flat rides. Really like their pure, clean tone. I sometimes use them as main rides on mellower songs.