Anyone Using an Ahead Throne?

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people think about the Ahead throne that has the opening between the legs. I’m looking for a firm to very firm seat but one that is stable and adjustable.

Appreciate any insights.

mjohnson12

Reaction score
I have an Ahead Spinal Glide 3 legged throne. I just got it at Father's Day so I just started using it.
So far I've found it comfortable and I have less lower back pain using it when it's a longer gig.
I would describe it as firm but not very firm.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an Ahead Spinal Glide 3 legged throne. I just got it at Father's Day so I just started using it.
So far I've found it comfortable and I have less lower back pain using it when it's a longer gig.
My old drum teacher always uses that Ahead spinal glide throne too.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I am having some back issues and someone recommended this throne to me. I have been using a DW 5000 throne which I would describe as a firm but not very firm throne. Before that I had a Roc n Soc which was not firm enough. May I ask what you were using prior to purchasing the Ahead throne? And how did that compare?

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what people think about the Ahead throne that has the opening between the legs. I’m looking for a firm to very firm seat but one that is stable and adjustable.

Appreciate any insights.
Take a look at the Motion Pro throne. The Ahead is a licensed "lite" version of the Motion Pro. The difference is that the Motion Pro sits on a base that has springs. It's like independent suspension on a car! The Ahead does not have the springs. The Motion Pro was designed by a chiropractor and you can buy them direct from him. (Super nice guy)! I spoke to him over the phone before buying and he answered all my questions. I had numbness when I'd play plus I had a pinched nerve. The Motion Pro took care of it. I can sit long periods of time with no issues. It's big and built like a tank. I think I've had it already for a couple of years. I'm very happy with mine!

mjohnson12

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I am having some back issues and someone recommended this throne to me. I have been using a DW 5000 throne which I would describe as a firm but not very firm throne. Before that I had a Roc n Soc which was not firm enough. May I ask what you were using prior to purchasing the Ahead throne? And how did that compare?
I was using a DW 5100 throne at home for practice. For gigs the place I play has a Gibraltar throne. I’m not sure what model but it was round.
The DW throne I never found comfortable but it was free when I bought a set so I used it.
The Gibraltar had more cushioning but it gives more than the ahead and I did experience lower back pain after sitting long periods of time.
The Ahead is more comfortable to me and my posture is better using it.

tomo221

Reaction score
Just picked up one of the round Spinal G thrones this week. Used for two gigs already. It’s quite good. I was using a Tama 1st Chair HT430BC for several years without issue, but lately my tailbone has been bothering me after 3 hour gigs. The Ahead throne seems to mitigate the issue almost entirely, while feeling effectively identical in terms of softness/support. So consider this an official recommendation!

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the Carmichael CT200-15BV and it is definitely firm, but I think it's overpriced. Also think I would personally be happier with the 13 inch seat. But it's a good firm seat if you want to spend the money. If you already have a throne stand, you can buy just the seat and save some money. Not sure the channel cut out does anything for me. I really do not have back issues, just getting older and thought it might be a good preemptive idea.

Moonman

Reaction score
I have one also and love it. Although my back issues haven't miraculously disappeared altogether, the throne is the most comfortable I've experienced. I've used a heavy Roc n Soc throne with springs for the past 20 years and the Ahead Spinal G is MUCH more comfortable for me. I highly recommend it.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use the red spinal glide throne and love it. I know it’s pricey, but for long periods at the drums, it is well worth the money!

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go with the MotionPro. The Ahead is great, but the MotionPro is a game changer.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the Motion Pro would be even better than the Ahead but haven’t tried the MP.

I noticed I can play longer without shoulder pain on the Ahead, even though it’s made for lower back issues.

Soundseat is another good option and that’s what I usually practice on, but the Ahead is good too. However, if I was to get the Soundseat all over again I’d get it with folding legs instead of the 5 point base which makes it impractical for gigging. That’s why I got the Ahead.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the Motion Pro throne. The Ahead is a licensed "lite" version of the Motion Pro. The difference is that the Motion Pro sits on a base that has springs. It's like independent suspension on a car! The Ahead does not have the springs. The Motion Pro was designed by a chiropractor and you can buy them direct from him. (Super nice guy)! I spoke to him over the phone before buying and he answered all my questions. I had numbness when I'd play plus I had a pinched nerve. The Motion Pro took care of it. I can sit long periods of time with no issues. It's big and built like a tank. I think I've had it already for a couple of years. I'm very happy with mine!

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll check it out.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was using a DW 5100 throne at home for practice. For gigs the place I play has a Gibraltar throne. I’m not sure what model but it was round.
The DW throne I never found comfortable but it was free when I bought a set so I used it.
The Gibraltar had more cushioning but it gives more than the ahead and I did experience lower back pain after sitting long periods of time.
The Ahead is more comfortable to me and my posture is better using it.
Thank you. Sounds like we are coming from similar places in terms of our experience with thrones. Appreciate your insights.

Loud

Reaction score
Can some explain what the Motion pro fabric is like? It is described as frolic fabric on the web site. I’m curious even though I’d likely favor the firm seat with the vinyl cover.

Does the motion pro use memory foam? I want to avoid it.

I have an ahead spinal g and the foam collapsed on the right side after a little over a year. It may be due to memory foam going soft after heating up as it is most noticeable after playing a long time. Either way, my butt bone bottoms out and it gets sore pressing against the wood base.

stevil

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can some explain what the Motion pro fabric is like? It is described as frolic fabric on the web site. I’m curious even though I’d likely favor the firm seat with the vinyl cover.

I have an ahead spinal g and the foam collapsed on the right side after a little over a year. It may be due to memory foam going soft after heating up as it is most noticeable after playing a long time. Either way, my butt bone bottoms out and it gets sore pressing against the wood base.
I don’t think the MP has memory foam, but I’m not 100% certain of that. The fabric feels like vinyl. No issues with sweat and whatnot in any case.

The owner of the company is a chiropractor and he’s happy to chat with customers. He and I had a few conversations. He was great; he answered all my questions and made some helpful suggestions on which size to order.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how the loss on motion created by the springs affects you as any rocking of the seat would have otherwise been power applied to your feet?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

My motion pro is vinyl, not that suede like covering that they offer. I have the traditional one!
It's very firm but supportive (because of the springs), I highly doubt it's memory foam. I've had it for like 2 years and it's just like the day I bought it. And I'm tall & heavy. You definitely won't bottom out on this thing. It's ridiculously overbuilt! Email or call the owner and he'll answer all your questions:
(530) 913-1916
[email protected]

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering how the loss on motion created by the springs affects you as any rocking of the seat would have otherwise been power applied to your feet?
You won't rock at all so that's not really a concern. They aren't wiggly springs. They are super stiff heavy duty springs. Also, the rear of the seat has those scallops that slope upwards. They are designed to keep your upper body upright in a proper posture. When you sit on it, the seat essentially (lightly) wraps around your bottom. A backrest would be a mute point on this seat. I mention this because I considered getting a seat with a backrest and found it unnecessary on the Motion Pro.

Last edited: