Apollo Drumset

XDrums

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase this Apollo vintage set for $200. I think I could probably part it out and make my money back. But I don’t really see any of these listed on Reverb for any value for collectors. Any idea of the value for this color and if you think the price is decent?

Attachments

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what is there to part out? I,d grab it as a back up, BUT, im learning most drummers already have 3-6 back up kits, so unless you need it, I,d pass, but it is a nice kit with single ply heads on it....if you need it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
60's MIJ kit. "Apollo" is one of the better known "brands" of those types of drums.
See if you can get it for $100.
Clean it up a little and $200 would be a good selling price....for you....

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
oh yes, MIJ and MIT still exists; people think it stopped around 68 (well the distributor branding did cease; and came out of that closet)... contend MIJ and MIT (taiwan not boston..) are alive and well and never really went away..
The Gretsch Cat Clubs remind me of the Apollos,sound wise.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$200 is ok if the set is clean, not drilled, and the wrap is not cracked up....and comes with some basic hardware. Flame is not an easy wrap to find on a decent stencil kit....most are sparkles, diamond pearls, or simple solid colors. Snare needs to be decent as well. Exceptionally clean MIJ 4 pieces in nice finishes are certainly worth $250-$300. The snare in this kit looks to be a later steel shell model.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am told that Scrubbing Bubbles works very well to clean those type of Satin wraps.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I wouldn't expect much more than $200-ish for the kit. Although I have fond memories of my first kit, which was a badge-less Japanese stencil kit from the 1960s that my dad bought for $50 at a garage sale in 1984, I wouldn't spend much money to relive the memories.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Another thing to look for is the tension rods should be all present, and working.. They used a different thread pitch and there can be issues with getting replacements.
...or, if you want to go to the trouble, just pull all the lugs and replace the nuts and rods with new ones. :thumbup:

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Don't part it out . . . that's bullshit . . . it may be MIJ, but it is a complete kit.
Leave it for someone that will hopefully respect it and give it some love . . .
Just my opinion . . . NAD

Kenwood

Reaction score
To spend 200.00 just to resell or part the kit out
I would say save yourself the trouble and the cash

But that aside I think many would be happy to get those for the two bills
Just to give them some love and play them.

I paid about 200.00 for mine pictured here
but that was a long time ago five or six years at least and that price was only for the bass drum and 3 toms
A little later I found the chrome Apollo snare and then finally the matching wood snare.
P1010221.JPG

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase this Apollo vintage set for $200. I think I could probably part it out and make my money back. But I don’t really see any of these listed on Reverb for any value for collectors. Any idea of the value for this color and if you think the price is decent?
I am a sucker for cool MIJ's, i would buy it for sure. The snare and some of the non-needed bits could help a young drummer for $50-$75. The kit is now a nice addition for $125...Excellent.

Latest posts