Apologize for using an inappropriate word in my OT parents thread...

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So do you think we should be permitted here to refer to African Americans using the N word and gay men as f*@@$ts? Frank would seem to think so, if you're going to use him as your authority.
Lots of black & gay guys use both those words. Context and intent.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how you built a new apt in Key Largo with an elevator no less , for $117K ?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea thats all True.. Sometimes have to think "Should I respond"...now there is where you can stay away and out of conflictualalities ...or even as in my case Causing One :D
But I do like to keep it Juicy and moving along..
(what the h else do we have to do..)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how you built a new apt in Key Largo with an elevator no less for $117K ?
Exactly, usually you would state that a project like that cost you 1.2 million, the balance being laundered money for a drug cartel.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did post on your thread and, for the life of me, I didn't see anything offensive or inappropriate. That said, I didn't follow the post afterwards, so I am not privy to what may have happened.

Personally, I'm not in favor of any kind of censorship because you learn a lot about people when they are not muzzled.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
That's not always an answer..If..you see the entire forum as a 'collective'. We must look out for each and every one of our Brothers (and sister..s
So (in that sense...) a Thread by one.. Is a Thread by all.

So we (just might) have a 'right' to caution (nee obligation..
If JDA is in fact correct that this forum is a collective, and that a thread by one is a thread by all, then I was proud to be part of a collective in which the OP's thread was treated so seriously by those who sought to help him by posting so many thoughtful replies. In turn, I am now ashamed to be part of a collective that would delete such a thread merely because the OP used a pejorative term in his description of his situation.

I disagree that we have a right or obligation to caution. I think we have an obligation to serve the needs of the members in a positive way. I am certain that the vast majority of members who read the entire original thread (as I did) would come to the conclusion that taken in its entirety, the thread was an extremely positive expression of help from the members who responded to the OP, who is indeed in a very difficult situation. When considered in this context, the deletion of the thread does NOT make DFO a better place.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gang ... while I’m sure the opinions on the Mods decision is important and crucial to your well being ... the bottom line is this:
None of us OWN this forum.
The OWNER can darn well do whatever he feels like.
Your part ... you can stay and abide by whatever rules and decisions he makes and live you life ... or you can leave.
That is really all there is to it.
Nothing personal to anyone ... but you really don’t get a say.
If you feel the need ... PM the guy. He’s pretty communicative.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
None of us OWN this forum.
The OWNER can darn well do whatever he feels like.
Your part ... you can stay and abide by whatever rules and decisions he makes and live you life ... or you can leave.
OR, we can express our opinions here in the hope that we may sway the mods (who work for the owner) into taking the issue up with the owner, since the mods presumably have more influence than any one member.

Just trying to make this a more thoughtful place that might grow in a positive direction, instead of a "take it or leave it" place that never changes.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said before I am a Addict who has been sober for 13 years. If you want to talk PM me. I have learned tools to deal with my problems but they are not universal to every addict so I can’t fix your situation. I can however listen and let you know where you can seek help for your side of things.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
yea thats all True.. Sometimes have to think "Should I respond"...now there is where you can stay away and out of conflictualalities ...or even as in my case Causing One :D
But I do like to keep it Juicy and moving along..
(what the h else do we have to do..)
Woke troll?

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
I see my thread was removed that was asking your opinions with my parents situation. I used a word and I didn't realize it was not allowed. Honestly....I haven't hung here much in the last couple of years and I haven't kept up with proper protocol. I want to make a public apology for it's use....or any other offensive language I may have used in the thread. It's completely my fault and I should have read the rules here more closely and adhered to them. My bad....
I only wish I could have read the feedback and engaged in a discussion utilizing your comments.
Apology accepted, but not warranted imho.
Too many woke crybabies. Sticks n stones. Words arent violence neither is the fact that because of the era you come from you may have different words. Not your problem.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So do you think we should be permitted here to refer to African Americans using the N word and gay men as f*@@$ts? Frank would seem to think so, if you're going to use him as your authority.
There is a big difference in the F word and those two.

I can’t phatom how weird that this is still an in appropriate word these days, yet everything else much more worse can be said without any problem.

Its really american too btw. Really hipocrite.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
PLEASE...don't have negative feelings towards the Mods. I broke the rules and that's that.

I DO wish I could have read some replies. Not to necessarily validate my feelings...although to be honest....that would be nice, but because I have been a member here for a LONG time and believe it or not...I respect the opinions of some members that I seem to know pretty well from the interaction here. I am sorry for not having read each and every thoughtful reply and piece of advice.

You know why I respect some opinions here? One big reason is when I had my stroke in 2009. While I was laying in the hospital for almost a month, a lot of those members here helped me "steel" my attitude when I would feel down. I had all kinds of opinions and one Doctor even helped me with medical questions.

So while it is rare to put out intimate subject matter on an open forum, I chose to forgo the downsides that seem to be prevalent on social media today in order to cash in on some words of wisdom. BTW...hey Mods....is there any way to PM me the deleted thread so I can read the comments?

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t use those words but maybe we should allow them. Then we’d know exactly how big a a-hole somebody that does really is. And then they could suffer the consequences of their hate speech.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well that's too bad - but I'm hoping the mods had more of a reason than one word with asterisks in the title. Was it just because it was in the title? Because everyone know's that DFO's pages are filled with equally "offensive" asterisked words. And if just the title - why not just substitute the word "jerk" in quotes - only take about 12 key strokes.

And of course the always perplexing mystery as to why some threads disappear in their entirety and others are simply locked - oftentimes preserving all of their nastiness for all time.

I'm certainly not looking to bust any chops - and stand pretty firmly in the "this is a bar I like hanging out in - I don't pay rent - I don't pay a cover - heck, I don't even buy any drinks" - so for sure, those that have taken on those burdens 100% call the shots.

But then again to not ever speak up about dissatisfying things runs the risk of losing the community - as we've all seen, places like this (virtual and physical) can become empty watering holes pretty quick. If for what ever reason they stop being as much fun.

And I'm not saying this incident rising to any kind OMG level - far from it. I'm mainly commenting on the earlier exchange regarding excepting management decisions without comment versus the validity of respectfully speaking up on occasion.

Personally I've never found our current management to be at all thin skinned regarding this - just over-worked and under... no... unpaid.

To Oldershool - I expressed what I wanted to express. I'm sorry you've been put in a position to feel like you have to apologize for anything. But it is to your credit that you are anyway. All my best to you as you struggle with the difficult road that lies ahead.

Reactions: CSR

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don’t use those words but maybe we should allow them. Then we’d know exactly how big a a-hole somebody that does really is. And then they could suffer the consequences of their hate speech.
I don't think anybody here would use those words. They are not words I use myself but I've laughed at some of the characters on south park using them and in movies (tarantino etc etc ) and other tv shows. I am 100% against them being used to spread hate based on color/creed/sexual orientation which is unacceptable to me.
The F word I'd put in a different class of "bad words" but its one which i find extremely useful to use.