Apparently I can't tune drums

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always had a hell of a time with a 16x16 FT. When I got it "good", it's been kind of a matter of luck (just experimenting until I got something good) and then maintenance to keep it there. The Tunebot had it singing in no time. And then to have pre-defined frequencies for my 13" and 12" toms after that so that they play well together, I'm more than pleased.
It works for my 12x13 to, which I hated for years and it spent most of it life in the closet.

sherm

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Better yes, but definitely not faster. But fast wasn't the goal, better was.

When I bought the Tune Bot (I have the TB Gig model) a couple years ago, I have no idea how to use it correctly, and the instructions were like Greek to me.. So thnking it might be a simpler solution I bought a Drum Dial and thought I was using it correctly. My drums sounded good, but I was constanly tinkering with them. Down the road, I saw a YouTuber, Rob 'Beatdown' Brown do a tuning guide. So I gave it a go using his method of tuning, which is basically, KISS. and DAMN! my drums sounded good. However, when I got the Pinstripe clears to get a more phat tone for playing funk & blues I wanted to revisit the Tune Bot and take the time to really learn how to use it and understand why it does what it does. I like the way they sound and havent tinkered with a T-rod since. I've been banging away for a couple months now and should check the pitches to see if they are still in tune.

I am a convert. I keep it in my stick bag and will continue to use it. I have to re-head a bop kit for my jazz band and I got a set of Renowns coming my way soon and will re-head those too

FWIW, I am a tinkerer by nature and like the challenge of getting the most out of less.
Love the Beatdown Brown! Maximum Thumpification!

sammy123

Reaction score
I'm still getting used to the Tune Bot, but it really helped with my new classic maples. I still use the drum dial, but it's quicky being phased out as I learn the TB.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm still getting used to the Tune Bot, but it really helped with my new classic maples. I still use the drum dial, but it's quicky being phased out as I learn the TB.
I use both. Drumdial to get it “in the zone” (especially with a new head), then fine tune with the tunebot.

sammy123

Reaction score
I should try this method. Thanks for sharing.

I like to get two keys and tune the lugs in stereo with one another around the drum until the heads are "table top" tight. Once they are about as tight as they can go, I will let them sit for 10-15 minutes. I will then push down on the hoop - going all the way around the drum - until I hear the crack. This stretches the head then also sets the head in with the bearing edge when you push down on the hoop.

I then tune down in stereo with two keys, then fine tune with the Tunebot.

I've found this method keeps the head from going out of tune as much and as frequently as they do when I don't stretch them out and set the bearing edge.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I should try this method. Thanks for sharing.
This method is something shared with me by pro drum tech Kenny Sharretts (tech for Kenny Aronoff, Train, Janet Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Costello, Melissa Ethridge, and others) and it is a method that works great for me!

He has a ton of videos on Youtube and some great tips on his website. He also gives private tuning lessons on Skype.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This method is something shared with me by pro drum tech Kenny Sharretts (tech for Kenny Aronoff, Train, Janet Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Elvis Costello, Melissa Ethridge, and others) and it is a method that works great for me!

He has a ton of videos on Youtube and some great tips on his website. He also gives private tuning lessons on Skype.

I also use 2 keys "in stereo". But I've yet to try the TuneBot as of yet. I'm really curious about it. But at this point, I've never wanted to tune to a note. I'm no good with reading notes. So, I'm not sure if it would be good or not for me in particular. But they come in under $100 right? And obviously a re-sellable item if it doesn't work out for me.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also use 2 keys "in stereo". But I've yet to try the TuneBot as of yet. I'm really curious about it. But at this point, I've never wanted to tune to a note. I'm no good with reading notes. So, I'm not sure if it would be good or not for me in particular. But they come in under $100 right? And obviously a re-sellable item if it doesn't work out for me.
The key to the Tunbot is getting the smartphone app, or going to the website and using the drum calculator. You can choose how much resonance you would like, if you'd like to tune the batter or resonate head higher, if you want to tune both heads to the same note or all the way to a minor third. You then select the tub sizes of your drums, and it will give you the number to tune each lug to. The key is to mute one head - I always place the drum on my throne and start with the resonate head. Tune the resonate, then flip it over and tune the batter while the resonate is muted, then pick the drum up and strike it to ensure the fundamental note of the drum is the same as the tunebot calculator gave you.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought one of the first versions of the Tunebot and I'm still thrilled with it. It takes the guesswork out of dialing in a drum after a head change, and it's easy to do a quick check before each gig to make sure my drums sound consistent. If that's all I used it for it would still be a great purchase, but as others have mentioned there is a ton of information on the Tunebot site about different intervals between drums and also between top/bottom heads on each drum. The device and that info makes it easy to experiment with different sounds for your kit, and if you save the settings (or write them down) it's easy to go back to them later.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have moved from liking to loving the TuneBot over the last year or so. I was already a very good tuner of drums, but I had certain strategies I'd go for (e.g. top and bottom alike). The TuneBot used in conjunction with the iPhone app gives me all sorts of strategies for tuning, and I can just get a lot more sounds more easily out of the same drum kit with the same heads. It's also great for getting difficult drums or even drums with aging heads to really sound in tune and good again.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The key to the Tunbot is getting the smartphone app, or going to the website and using the drum calculator. You can choose how much resonance you would like, if you'd like to tune the batter or resonate head higher, if you want to tune both heads to the same note or all the way to a minor third. You then select the tub sizes of your drums, and it will give you the number to tune each lug to. The key is to mute one head - I always place the drum on my throne and start with the resonate head. Tune the resonate, then flip it over and tune the batter while the resonate is muted, then pick the drum up and strike it to ensure the fundamental note of the drum is the same as the tunebot calculator gave you.
I think striking the head softly with a mallet gives more pure tones for the tunebot to pick up as well.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think striking the head softly with a mallet gives more pure tones for the tunebot to pick up as well.
When you look at the youtube video by Tunebot the way I noted is the way they suggest doing it, along with striking about two inches from each lug with a stick when tuning. They actually suggest not to use a mallet.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When you look at the youtube video by Tunebot the way I noted is the way they suggest doing it, along with striking about two inches from each lug with a stick when tuning. They actually suggest not to use a mallet.
Interesting. I guess I read somewhere where someone said it worked better. I'll use a stick from now on then.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought I could tune a drum, too, but have you ever tried to tuna fish?
Here all week folks! Try the meatloaf, it will be too!

But enough cutting-edge comedy. I almost bought a TuneBot, but then I read some internet arguing that the “iDrumTunePro” app is 99% as good, and since the guitar tuner app I have works great, and it was only $5 I gave it a shot. I haven’t been dazzled.

Has anybody used both? I’d like to give it a shot just for getting back when there’s that drum that’s just tuned *perfectly*, but the heads it came with are roached.
I have both. Drumtune pro is nice, but not quite as precise as tunebot. It does however have some nice features, and for the 6 bucks or whatever it was, it's worth it IMO.

Last edited:

vinnyrac63

Reaction score
The Tune Bot is a great, great tool, but I only use it to get the note I'm looking for when pitching for intervals. After that, i use the tap method and my ears to fine tune the drum. That's a skill one should not lose.

jsp210

Reaction score
I have been on the fence about getting one of these due to the information overload potential and the fact that I am satisfied with the results I get with just a drum key and my ears but these positive posts have me intrigued.

What It Is

Reaction score
Always been on the fence getting one, but perhaps it's time. For the first time buyer, is the Gig or Studio the way to go?

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
I mean, I always got them in the ballpark, but never this precise.
In the art of tuning there is no correct way to tune drums. Yet, there is one way to get the head tension even all the way around. That does not mean the drum will sound the best for your style and for the song; or the room. For variations in the head tension can add flavor to the sound. Great sounding drummers have been doing well without these devices.

btw.. I own a Drum Dial. Interesting in its own way.

Latest posts