Apple Watch and drumming

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I just did about an hour at my kit, and my Apple Watch (which I rarely wear while drumming) credited the whole thing to me as exercise. This is quite strange, because I certainly don’t feel as well exercised as I would had I been riding my bike or walking briskly uphill for an hour. I was just playing some real basic stuff, basically laying down time for an upcoming recording project.

Does the Apple Watch take heartbeat and other metrics into account? Anyone else experience a lot of “exercise credit” from their Apple Watch for just playing some 4/4 rock at 120BPM?

(Sorry if there’s already a thread on this somewhere on DFO.)

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That used to happen to me when I had a Fitbit. Used to irritate my wife that I had so many more daily “steps” than her.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just got an Apple Watch a month ago. Really wish I was playing drums more, so I could get SOME exercise. :)

covinasurf

Reaction score
Yes, practice and rehearsal always give me extra steps. I don’t know how it counts steps but I just look at my totals and grin.

JH

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the Apple watches or fitbits count steps but is it possible that stepping on the bass pedal/hi-hats gets registered as steps?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it's registering arm movements as something... not sure exactly what it's counting, though. I think it thinks that every time I hit the snare, I'm running. Who knows, but I wasn't playing anything intricate or strenuous. There's no way that's the equivalent of an hour of cycling or running!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I use the Activity app on the Apple Watch and Other to track my playing calories.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's using actigraphy to extrapolate steps. Because it's on your wrist, any movement of that hand will be registered as steps. It doesn't use the heart rate monitoring for steps, but it does for exercise / "active" calories. You'll get your "move" ring and "stand" ring filled from playing drums, but you won't get your "exercise" ring filled unless your heart rate is actually increasing.

There's not a "Drumming" activity, but there is a "Play" activity, which is what I use. If you're in an activity, you'll get a minimum of ~5 calories per minute added to your "Move" ring.