Apple Watch (CELLULAR)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I do not wear the watch when drumming. The pain is temporary dependent upon whether or not I have been wearing the watch prior.

Well ... here's an interesting place I recently found myself.
Without going into detail ... I obtained an Apple Watch around December.
It is equipped with CELLULAR.

After about a month and a half, I was sitting down to lay down some tracks for a project.
One hit on the snare and the air left my lungs.
There was a serious pain in my left wrist ... the same wrist the Apple Watch is on.
I worked it and nojoy.
I did some research and found out that this is not a unique event with some that wear the Apple Watch with CELLULAR.
I took the watch off for a week.
My wrist felt great and I did the session.
I put the watch back on and within one week, my wrist pain returned.
I took the watch off for a week ... no pain.
I put the watch back on ... sure enough, the wrist pain returned.

I have obviously decided to stop wearing the watch.
I will deal with Apple ... but I wanted to put this out there and check to see if any of the drummers here have experienced this ... or know of someone that has.
Thanks.

Last edited:

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got an Apple Watch shortly after they first came out and I grew to hate it. I wasn’t drumming at that time so I don’t know how my wrist felt after drumming but I got so sick of having to charge that watch every day. And the battery life gets shorter and shorter so sometimes I had to charge it twice a day. Now I wear no watch it all. And that’s OK. I keep my cell phone always on me so I just check that or a nearby clock. I also use the “hey Siri” feature on my phone a lot where I don’t even have to touch my phone and I can ask Siri things or Alexa because I have a couple of those echo dots in my house. You can also be across the room and say “hey Siri (or Alexa)what time is it” and she’ll tell you the time FYI

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I know what time it is without wearing a watch.

I, for sure, don't have Siri or Alexa monitoring my every utterance at Chez Vistalite Black. It's called operational security.

Does it not make sense to not wear a watch whilst drumming to not damage a $300 item?

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1656536821310.png

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ... here's an interesting place I recently found myself.
Without going into detail ... I obtained an Apple Watch around December.
It is equipped with CELLULAR.

After about a month and a half, I was sitting down to lay down some tracks for a project.
One hit on the snare and the air left my lungs.
There was a serious pain in my left wrist ... the same wrist the Apple Watch is on.
I worked it and nojoy.
I did some research and found out that this is not a unique event with some that wear the Apple Watch with CELLULAR.
I took the watch off for a week.
My wrist felt great and I did the session.
I put the watch back on and within one week, my wrist pain returned.
I took the watch off for a week ... no pain.
I put the watch back on ... sure enough, the wrist pain returned.

I have obviously decided to stop wearing the watch.
I will deal with Apple ... but I wanted to put this out there and check to see if any of the drummers here have experienced this ... or know of someone that has.
Thanks.
Weirdness! Is the watch restricting the muscles and tendons in your wrist or are you thinking the cell signal brings the pain? I wouldn't think it would inhibit your wrist movement given you probably don't have it on too tight.

I have worn my apple watch while drumming and had no issues. The exercise rings and goal are very easy to hit while drumming. I usually lap my goal 2-3x.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an Apple Watch shortly after they first came out and I grew to hate it. I wasn’t drumming at that time so I don’t know how my wrist felt after drumming but I got so sick of having to charge that watch every day. And the battery life gets shorter and shorter so sometimes I had to charge it twice a day. Now I wear no watch it all. And that’s OK. I keep my cell phone always on me so I just check that or a nearby clock. I also use the “hey Siri” feature on my phone a lot where I don’t even have to touch my phone and I can ask Siri things or Alexa because I have a couple of those echo dots in my house. You can also be across the room and say “hey Siri (or Alexa)what time is it” and she’ll tell you the time FYI
I started wearing my watch less due to the battery life, too. Probably won't keep it in the long run.

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a good crash.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I started wearing my watch less due to the battery life, too. Probably won't keep it in the long run.

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a good crash.
Yeah that watch I had it ended up breaking and I sent it back to Apple thinking they might give me the new version and they just gave me the same old first generation watch. I wore it for a little while but didn’t like it. I might wear it again. Give it another shot

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Married with four kids: During jam sessions, it is much less obtrusive when I can see any important messages at my wrist, return messages quickly, record... than reaching out for my phone, swiping up, holding it for face recognition, tapping, returning phone to its resting place. It doesn't look like I'm so distracted by my iPhone addiction.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an iWatch and wear it all the time . I like it to track my steps during my regular walks and exercise. I wear it while I play the drums and no issues whatsoever.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear my Apple Watch Series 7 daily as well as during gigs and rehearsals. It does not have cellular however. No issues at all and makes it look like I actually exercised based on closing my activity rings ;-)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I have an iWatch and wear it all the time . I like it to track my steps during my regular walks and exercise. I wear it while I play the drums and no issues whatsoever.

I have had the same apple watch for years and always have it on at gigs. I can get a full day out of the charge and just charge it every night at bedtime. Never had an issue with my playing while wearing it. Sometimes it can be a little distracting during a gig if someone texts me but I usually just ignore it as looking at it during a gig is a no go. My eyes have also gotten worse over the years so unless I have my cheaters on, I won't be reading it anyway.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wanted to make it clear ... this is NOT about wearing the watch while playing.
I do NOT wear the watch while playing.

The pain happens with no regard to the fact that I'm a drummer.
It just so happens that I discovered the pain at the start of a session.
But I didn't play the drums during any of the other "tests" ... the pain was either there or it wasn't.

I've been in discussion with Apple and they allude to the fact that this is not unique to me.
I've been instructed to stop wearing the watch (I had ceased wearing it several months ago).
It has been shot up the chain.
I was just curious if any of you had the CELLULAR version of the watch ... and had the pain associated.
Thanks.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Reading the headline, a gathered a discussion about noise and the Apple Watch sensor db (90-105ish drumming) would ensue. Sounds like the watch isn’t for you and a decision has been made. When exploring the association and potential correlation did you try turning off cellular and/or wearing the watch on the other hand?

Edit: causation not correlation

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Reading the headline, a gathered a discussion about noise and the Apple Watch sensor db (90-105ish drumming) would ensue. Sounds like the watch isn’t for you and a decision has been made. When exploring the association and potential correlation did you try turning off cellular and/or wearing the watch on the other hand?

Edit: causation not correlation

Yup.
Not my best bit of writing, for sure.
Very convoluted and unclear.
My appologies to one and all.

I've turned off all sensors and such.
Did not turn off Cellular as I am not clear at this point if Cellular is the lone variable and by the time I narrowed it down to that point ... I had stopped wearing it.
There are quite a few sensors involved and I can't be certain that there isn't a piggyback effect going on.
That's why I'm leaving it in Apple's hands to dissect it down.

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mcjnic I currently wear an Apple Watch series 6 with cellular and have not experienced the pain you discuss. My previous was a Series 3 or 4, cannot recall which and no pain with it either. Also cannot remember if it was cellular or not. At any rate, current Series 6 is cellular and the cellular, bluetooth and wi-fi all stay turned on. Interested to see what you learn from Apple, if anything. Interesting how our bodies react to some of the technology.

I have worn regular watches, Fitbit wristbands, Apple watch and nothing on my left wrist through the years and have noticed no difference based on what I do, or do not, wear.