header.nohb.html

Approval Of My Peers

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started playing drums back in like 1961 maybe, anyway, I have NEVER mixed brands of cymbals, never. I have two Sabian Ed Thigpen Crystal cymbals, one is a flat with a three rivet cluster and the other is a Crystal Ride which looks like the Sound Control pies with the flanged edge. I have never found a set of Sabian hats I like or crash(s). However I have a 16" A Thin Crash Zildjian with rivets and a set of 14" A Light hats that I love and so at this late date, I'm mixing them. What the hell! I know it is done all the time, but I would just like to have some reassurance that the world will not end because of my "transgression".

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I understand your "concern." I did it a couple times putting my HH ride in with my Zildjian crashes. Felt like I was cheating or something. Then switched them back to all one brand....lol.
It's pretty easy to stay uniform now because all I really have are Zildjians. My Paiste and Sabian runs didn't last more than 1-2 yrs.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
fa94153bd10cb2b6f537362b917a7056.jpg

Seriously, do what you want......

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand your "concern." I did it a couple times putting my HH ride in with my Zildjian crashes. Felt like I was cheating or something. Then switched them back to all one brand....lol.
It's pretty easy to stay uniform now because all I really have are Zildjians. My Paiste and Sabian runs didn't last more than 1-2 yrs.
Man, I don't know what it is, it's hard to explain, but I feel like I'm cheating too. It's really odd.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
well if you take a Tree say a pine tree and the branches from the top an 8" splash down to the bottom a 24" or 26" ride all those cymbals- on that tree- are of- a family

So you take a 22" branch from one tree and put it with say a 14" 18" and 16" from -another tree.

And the sequence.. even the Sound Sequence is broken
however mixing Avedis with Sabian- you could even add your old K Zildjian and still be Zildjian.

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
The only thing is that, from what I understand if you mix cymbals there's a slightly remote chance that if the right tones happen together in unison a portal to another realm opens and unleashes demons to destroy civilization as we know it but other than that you'll be fine.

:p

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started playing drums back in like 1961 maybe, anyway, I have NEVER mixed brands of cymbals, never. I have two Sabian Ed Thigpen Crystal cymbals, one is a flat with a three rivet cluster and the other is a Crystal Ride which looks like the Sound Control pies with the flanged edge. I have never found a set of Sabian hats I like or crash(s). However I have a 16" A Thin Crash Zildjian with rivets and a set of 14" A Light hats that I love and so at this late date, I'm mixing them. What the hell! I know it is done all the time, but I would just like to have some reassurance that the world will not end because of my "transgression".
Go for it! I've been playing since '61 too. Nothing beats experimentation with me. I ran with birch-flavored toms and mahogany-flavored bass drums on gigs for decades. Recording Customs (or Sonors) with Rock Tour Custom bass drums back in the '90s was a standard with one particular band I spent almost a decade with. I rarely had a bass drum's material or brand the same as my toms. Everything was black so they matched on stage. I mix and mismatch cymbals all the time. One of my favorites is a Paiste medium 602 I bought in '66 over a 16 Zildjian Synphonic Crash. Brutal set of hats. I've had five different brands of cymbals on my kit many times. The key is that they all talked to each other.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Go for it! I've been playing since '61 too. Nothing beats experimentation with me. I ran with birch-flavored toms and mahogany-flavored bass drums on gigs for decades. Recording Customs (or Sonors) with Rock Tour Custom bass drums back in the '90s was a standard with one particular band I spent almost a decade with. I rarely had a bass drum's material or brand the same as my toms. Everything was black so they matched on stage. I mix and mismatch cymbals all the time. One of my favorites is a Paiste medium 602 I bought in '66 over a 16 Zildjian Synphonic Crash. Brutal set of hats. I've had five different brands of cymbals on my kit many times. The key is that they all talked to each other.
Almost all my cymbals in my signature are on kit so, Meinl and Sabian plus 2 Paiste and ne Zildjian....They all talk to each other so well that sometimes I think it"s the same brand!!!! I have even ask my self if, because they are close to each other, one over the other, that, when I strike one, the sound could influence the other one to the point that there is not more difference...I hear different character but I spent month in listening to audio files and to bring 4/5 cymbals in my shop anytime I wanted to buy a new one. Sometimes it was ok, sometime s, not at all.
So, MIX THE BRAND, too sad if you don't enjoy the best of all words.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel a strange loyalty too, but it's to my particular individual cymbals. Not to the stamp on them

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I feel weird if I *do* use all one brand, like I was too lazy to rifle through my cymbal collection to find the absolute perfect recipe for a particular band/venue.

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mix my Kashian's in with my Paiste's, simply because I don't want to spend a small fortune to go all Paiste! Someday maybe, but I'm just a basement drummer right now and I can't justify the cost of going all Paiste. The 2 brands actually play pretty well together to my ear, so no rush.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Unless someone is compensating me with cash and/or free cymbals, I couldn't care less. If its sounds good and fits my style, it's fair game. My kit has been surrounded by Paiste, Meinl, Zildjian, and Istanbul all at the same time. Nothing spontaneously caught fire, fortunately.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
flattery will get you everywhere with Rock; send him some Sabian hi hats instead